KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i just bought my 2017 duke 690 USA version. I come from supermotos and looked at this bike as a big supermoto. I'm nearly ready to sell this bike after a week of ownership. I can't stand the TC/anti wheelie mode. After calling every KTM dealer and searching all around i'm here. They stopped offering the track pack in the US and that gave you the ability to turn traction control off. Ideally, i'd have ABS in the front and TC disabled. I have the ability to turn ABS off, but the anti wheelie is still in full effect. If there's anyway to disable this without the track pack i'd love to hear about. Luckily i got a good deal on the bike and would make money if sold... but i want to keep it. Just can't get past the software nannies!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I feel disconnected from the bike. I can grab a handful in first from 0-30 and skip the front wheel. Hard to tell what the right amount of power is in each gear for different situations... also wheelies. Watching the reviews of the bike had me thinking i was buying a big supermoto with options. Not what i signed up for as is unfortunately. Nearly any bike can be a wheelie machine if it's not held back by the computer. Hell, my first bike was a klx250sf and i wheelies the heck out of it with alot of revs and tugs.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
I feel disconnected from the bike. I can grab a handful in first from 0-30 and skip the front wheel. Hard to tell what the right amount of power is in each gear for different situations... also wheelies. Watching the reviews of the bike had me thinking i was buying a big supermoto with options. Not what i signed up for as is unfortunately. Nearly any bike can be a wheelie machine if it's not held back by the computer. Hell, my first bike was a klx250sf and i wheelies the heck out of it with alot of revs and tugs.
I've learned to let this one go but was in the exact same boat as you after NOT installing the track pack 1st year of ownership to find out it has been discontinued the next season.

From my experience and I'm not an expert rider:

1st gear will wheelie fine with or without anything turned on or off
2nd gear will wheelie with an aggressive clutch up but that was where my skill set was left before the snow

Feel your pain man. Almost sold mine too but absolutely love riding it so have turned my 350EXC into a SM machine and will be using that for leveling up my hooning skills.

I thought i remembered reading or watching reviews on Youtubes that guys were saying the pre-2016's were wheelie machines being able to roll on wheelies in 2nd gear. That is where i would be curious if the technology (TC/ Trackpack) comes into play.

Still unsure but would like to order this and see what it does to the wheelie game:

58 tooth stunt sprocket

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
I'm not convinced it changes much switching anything off matey. The bike doesn't turn into a wheelie monster with the track pack.
So if you turn your TC off and crank the throttle wide open in second gear from say... 4500 rpms what happens???
Mine just accelerates quick and front comes off the ground an inch or two with or without ABS.

If I use a clutch-up the front lifts properly but need to practice more to see how long I can hold it for.

·
Full Throttle
6,520 Posts
I came up with the idea to fit the front sensor on the rear, right next to the rear sensor. If if works simply by a second front sensor and use a toggle switch to switch between the dummy and true front sensor... Lots of cheap sensors on ebay... No one tried it yet I think...

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
So if you turn your TC off and crank the throttle wide open in second gear from say... 4500 rpms what happens???
Mine just accelerates quick and front comes off the ground an inch or two with or without ABS.

If I use a clutch-up the front lifts properly but need to practice more to see how long I can hold it for.
Don't ask me mate, I'm rubbish. I can ride MTB properly but I'm not a great motorbiker

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
I came up with the idea to fit the front sensor on the rear, right next to the rear sensor. If if works simply by a second front sensor and use a toggle switch to switch between the dummy and true front sensor... Lots of cheap sensors on ebay... No one tried it yet I think...
Love the creative suggestion but where? There is only one spot for a wheel speed sensor.

·
Full Throttle
6,520 Posts
for example without a proper visual.
a spacer like a figure 8 with the top and bottom cut out, the rear of both sensors fit in the 8 and are taped together. the length of the 8 and the angle depends where the easiest place to mount it for the test. if it all works them more thought is put into it..
lots of options

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont have an option to turn TC off on my bike at all. It's just ABS on/off. I like the piggyback idea. Maybe i can just put a jumper in from the front sensor that connects it to the front and rear inputs. So, i'd have two connectors coming off the one front sensor. I think the front determines speed?... Photo incoming!

·
Full Throttle
6,520 Posts
I dont have an option to turn TC off on my bike at all. It's just ABS on/off. I like the piggyback idea. Maybe i can just put a jumper in from the front sensor that connects it to the front and rear inputs. So, i'd have two connectors coming off the one front sensor. I think the front determines speed?... Photo incoming!
someone tried that

·
Full Throttle
6,520 Posts
So, i'd have two connectors coming off the one front sensor. I think the front determines speed?...
people have tried a few ways, i think the system is sensitive and the rear is more important than front , plus if you wheely then the motors showing revs and the wheels are not turning. seems wrong...
but if both sensors are on the rear then everything still works. speedo , tc
but it needs testing first...... after it works then make the toggle so you can revert back to full abs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got ya. I have access to a machine shop to make a standoff bracket for the secondary rear sensor. Just need to find time, figure out wire routing/cable length to the front sensors connector and if the front sensor is any different than the rear I guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get where you're coming from. I get alot of joy from lofting the front wheel i. The air and chasing those wheelies. Wondering if getti g a UK ecu would work as an alternative

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 63 Posts