KTM Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Full Throttle
6,518 Posts
but i want wheelies too. so TC goes off.
not sure if you know but the North American owners seem to have no solutions from ktm , where as UK, AUS, EU have options.
The North am guys are literally screwed to ride around forever skimming the front wheel along the road.......
This is why the hack has been so, infact out of all the threads thats been since the 2018 duke, this is the only good report. nothing else has worked.....regards

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Well what a miracle! This
View attachment 94587 Should have the sensors tomorrow. Shouldn't take long to splice the two together plug n play. Hopes are high
@cors187 with the genious suggestion and even better you actually fab'd something up wow! Where did you get that bracket from? I have access to a welder but no idea where to start on that bracket.

This is a serious game changer and cannot thank you enough! Almost contemplating selling my Duke after the Trackpack was killed off here but this gives a guy hope on a bike I never want to sell.

·
Full Throttle
6,518 Posts
This is a serious game changer and cannot thank you enough! Almost contemplating selling my Duke after the Trackpack was killed off here but this gives a guy hope on a bike I never want to sell.
Someone really tried to kill ktms middle ground muscle from the Norh AM streets. Theres no logical reason to black list that track pack and have a proper bike.....

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Someone really tried to kill ktms middle ground muscle from the Norh AM streets. Theres no logical reason to black list that track pack and have a proper bike.....
I'm just being a drama queen ;) Worst case scenerio a good clutchup will make the bike wheelie just tougher to keep the front end up but she'll go!

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Wheel speed sensors - dealership!

FYI to anyone about to attempt to complete this glorious mod, I checked ebay last night and used f/r sensors were $80 shipped to me in Canada from the US.

Phone my dealer and low and behold...$32 front and $34 rear! Go figure. Dealership actually surprises me with KTM parts because went to buy new replacement plastics and were only $25??? Cheaper than acerbis or polisport.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I might be willing to sell my first version later today if anyone is interested. Making a better bracket and cutting this one to the exact length needed.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Dibbs! I'm heading to our wheelie spot right now to practice clutch-up wheelies with TC on ffs. She wheelies but definitely feel the TC come on.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Sorry for the double post today but stoked and not everyone reads my build thread so if this comes up in your search / subscriptions I can confirm it works.

-used (1) piece of aluminum 1'' x 4''
-cut the front wheel speed sensor
-unhooked at front position
-spliced in (2) new wires to 1 positive and 1 negative (black / white easy peezy)
-relocated parallel to rear speed sensor location
-bent aluminum as per picture to sit flush against hub ring
-found random nut for back of screw in spare parts bin
-zip tied wires to frame
-wheeeeelie time

IMG-1567.JPG
IMG-1568.JPG

·
Registered
2018 KTM 690 Duke; 2012 KTM 990 SMT
18 Posts
Wheel speed sensors - dealership!

FYI to anyone about to attempt to complete this glorious mod, I checked ebay last night and used f/r sensors were $80 shipped to me in Canada from the US.

Phone my dealer and low and behold...$32 front and $34 rear! Go figure. Dealership actually surprises me with KTM parts because went to buy new replacement plastics and were only $25??? Cheaper than acerbis or polisport.
This is an awesome thread.

I looked up KTM parts and the sensor is $155 !! Part number 76042125000 , called an ABS sensor. Ouch.

Is that the part you got for $32/$34?

I wanted to keep my original one as-is, and cut up the new one (so wiring long enough to make it to the back wheel) ... but at $155 I think I will cut up my original one! :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think I will cut up my original one! :)
Hold your horses. I can confirm there is no traction control on my ‘18 690 Duke. The other evening was pretty frosty going through the twisty bits of Pinehurst Rd and there was plenty of mud and moss washed onto the road. It was easy to spin up the rear tire and ride the bike sideways for as long as I dared. On another street, pulling away from a light, I gave a bit more throttle than usual when I quickly shifted into second. The front wheel came up about a foot and seemed to float there until I slowed a little. I could barely tell when the tire hit the ground other than the bars twitching a little as the tire straightened. From what I can tell, the only anti-wheelie and traction control these bikes have is in the riders head.

·
Registered
2018 KTM 690 Duke; 2012 KTM 990 SMT
18 Posts
Interesting. I just picked up my 2018 (new leftover), has 14 miles on it. In the past I had a Husaberg 650 SM, oh my what fun. I thought this Duke 690 would be a smoother, more comfortable, heavier version of that. Kind of like moonshine vs a Chardonnay. :) My first ride on the Duke was nice, love the bike, but a bit "wine cooler" like. :) Certainly smoother and more comfortable, way more refined.

I will put a couple of hundred miles on it before I starting rewiring sensors. I ignorantly thought all the ride modes and ABS options were on the 2018 US bike (downloaded and read the manual before buying it) ... saw all the sections in the manual with how to switch the modes ... but not there on the bike. :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, I bought my 2018 new in October 2019. I also thought it would have the different modes or that I could have a dealer install them after my break in period. Unfortunately, nobody anywhere (other than here?) said it couldn’t be upgraded. I felt like I was being cheated by buying an expensive bottle of wine that can’t be uncorked. Then I came to the conclusion the bike is great as it is and there are decent aftermarket options if I need. I’m also glad I didn’t pay anywhere near MSRP.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
This is an awesome thread.

I looked up KTM parts and the sensor is $155 !! Part number 76042125000 , called an ABS sensor. Ouch.

Is that the part you got for $32/$34?

I wanted to keep my original one as-is, and cut up the new one (so wiring long enough to make it to the back wheel) ... but at $155 I think I will cut up my original one! :)
No. You are in fact correct the sensor is ~$150USDM + tax so I didn't end up buying another one and chopped the factor harness. My parts guy was wrong not sure what $30 part he gave me but was not what we're after. If a guy was careful he could put back to stock with minimal notice to the OEM harness ;)

From what I can tell, the only anti-wheelie and traction control these bikes have is in the riders head.
Your bike would not have come with TC on it then - do you have ABS? There's no way it's in my head man lol. The bike will wheelie in 1st gear but after that you're fighting the sensors. Relocating the front sensor to the rear on bikes with TC make a world of difference for wheelies. Instantly noticed with roll-on wheelies in 2nd gear that was not possible before.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Really glad this is working out for everyone that's willing to put in a bit of effort. I have since sold my duke with the intention of buying another one. Well, things didn't go as planned and I changed teams. No nannies holding back the new tenere 700. Still blown away by the stupidity of the EPA and ktm for not putting up a fight. Totally missleading for buyers like myself looking to get a hooligan bike.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Really glad this is working out for everyone that's willing to put in a bit of effort. I have since sold my duke with the intention of buying another one. Well, things didn't go as planned and I changed teams. No nannies holding back the new tenere 700. Still blown away by the stupidity of the EPA and ktm for not putting up a fight. Totally missleading for buyers like myself looking to get a hooligan bike.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
Still not convinced it's an issue. I have had no problems lofting the front wheel with my 2018 Duke. I only do it for a couple seconds but I feel nothing stopping it. I've also spun up the rear tire quite often on cold, icy roads (I blame the Michelins. The Metzlers and the Shinkos did not do this). There was never any stutter in ignition or drop out of power. Maybe my 2018 didn't get the TC memo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Those who don't know how to hold a wheelie for longer than a second or two will never understand ;) your impression is a strange one! Or maybe you just got lucky and ktm screwed up.

I have owned/wheelied 30+ bikes and the 690 was the only one that prevented me.

It is the internet and you do have the right to argue with facts for no good reason. Just glad there's a solution for people that may end up in the same situation. It was truly the worst

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Still not convinced it's an issue. I have had no problems lofting the front wheel with my 2018 Duke. I only do it for a couple seconds but I feel nothing stopping it. I've also spun up the rear tire quite often on cold, icy roads (I blame the Michelins. The Metzlers and the Shinkos did not do this). There was never any stutter in ignition or drop out of power. Maybe my 2018 didn't get the TC memo.
It is 100% an issue. Your bike didn't come with TC then which is very possible. Some american bikes did not come with that as a standard option whereas all bikes sold in Canada to my knowledge all had TC from 2016+

Yes I could wheelie my bike with TC on and not bypassing the front speed sensor but wheelies were ****. Front end comes up and then the ECU takes over and cuts power delivery so you end up fighting the bike to keep the front end in the air.

The first ride after relocating the front speed sensor to the rear was evident how restrictive the bike was as it rolled on wheelies in 2nd gear no problem and stayed up in the air! I could never wheelie the bike in 3rd gear until this mod was done.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts