KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2000 Duke II used back in 2007 and have recently been having charging issues. I noticed the battery started sounding weaker and weaker with each start up. I figured since the bike sat for so long at the dealer that the battery was dying. So, I purchased a new Yuasa maintainence free and it seemed to fix the problem for a while. Now, I am constantly having to keep the bike on a battery tender when I am not riding because once again the battery is weaker with each start. I checked the system with a voltmeter and it is only producing around 12.75 volts at 5,000 RPMs. Now, I assumed it was the stator but the so-called KTM expert in my area believed it was the rectifier so I changed it with no luck. So, before I go out and buy a $180.00 stator has anyone any other opinions, options or info as to what could be the issue? The bike only has 12,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
LC4 starter grief

xander duke, my 690 bike is in the shop, as I type this. And has been for nearly 2 months! I took it back to him due to the fact it only has approx. 1,000 miles on it , and it left me one evening in town, after the 10 min ride to get there. I had a bite to eat, then returned to the bike for the return trip back to the fort.The bike just clicked ,as if the battery was low.Well , after 4 tries to bump start it, back to life, and 1 drop:eek: I called my Harley buddy to come get me. I put the battery on the BatteryTender overnite.The next day, I used the Fluke to check the voltage level. 13.43. OK, good. I checked again, in 15 mins, to be sure it wasn't losing voltage.Same reading. In the trailer it goes, and down to dealer.He told me it was a bad diode in the starter(3weeks later). Define:diode, restricts current to one direction. I don't think there is a diode in the starter, I didn't see one in the KTM literature pic of the starter.I'll be doing some more research, on it ,and post up when I know more.Both of the bikes, use the same basic engine. The starter circuit is likely similar. Supposedly the 690s are having a "stalling" issue as well. Mine has a few times, but it may be something with the FI...?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had an issue with the bike stalling quite a bit when I first started riding it a couple of months ago. I'm new to the street bike scene but used to race offroad and drive a manual vehicle everyday so I know how to operate a clutch. My impression is that these bikes are geared a little fast. I used to never see 6th gear and idling in first was 10-11mph. Factory gearing is 16-40 I recently put a 15t front sprocket on and it has made all the difference in the world. The bike pulls harder on the bottom end, I never stall out anymore and I can use 6th at 55-60mph instead of having to be over 65 to get any use out of it. I have a 42t rear sprocket on the way but I'm not sure I'm going to need it. It won't affect the gearing as drastically as the front 15 though so I'll probably go ahead and use it.

Supposedly the 690s are having a "stalling" issue as well. Mine has a few times, but it may be something with the FI...?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts