Does anyone else realize that the SDGT is pound for pound one of the best bikes ever made? I wanted a SDR for the power and fun, but also wanted a practical ADV touring bike and this thing checks all the boxes. You can do anything with this bike.
Let me lead off by asking for some input, I have figured out that this bike LOVES to ride in the higher RPMs, It seems as though when I try to ride at the lower end of the gears RPM range it gives off a moderate of vibration, my brake fluid reservoir is shaking a lot, until I give it throttle and it climbs to its happy RPM range and smooths out. Is this normal or what do I need to keep in mind with this bike?
Next, I was wondering if any SDGT owners have noticed that some gears shift “clunkier” than others when using the quick shifter (3rd or 4th for me is a bit clunkier than the red)? I use mine a good bit above the manual’s referenced RPM, so it’s not that.
1) Any cleaner mirror options, like bar end, that are available that actually work?
2) What are the best tires to go to? Make, model and size? (I’ve heard there are better tire sizes to run than OEM)
3) Has anyone tinted the OEM windshield? I ordered the PUIG touring windshield, but man that thing is too tall for me. Looking to stay OEM size, which is perfect.
4) Are there any pros/cons to the different available exhaust out there? It seems Akrapovic is the most prevalent, however I saw the Hurricane, Austin and OOPART exhaust and LOVE the streamlined and clean under belly or short exhaust setup, but they are all difficult to get in the U.S. at least in my noob searching and not really knowing the best U.S. KTM aftermarket shops out there. Any recommendations or U.S. based shops out there?
5) Is track mode worth it without tracking the bike?
6) Is the Rottweiler air cleaner worth the upgrade?
7) My bike is brand new and I’m already noticing micro scratches on the side of the tank facing me, probably rubbing on my riding gear, any worthwhile tank protection out there?
8) Any other common upgrades for the SDGT, that I may be missing? I was looking at an upgraded steering dampener, however, I feel I haven’t ridden it enough to justify the upgrade yet.