KTM Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Does anyone else realize that the SDGT is pound for pound one of the best bikes ever made? I wanted a SDR for the power and fun, but also wanted a practical ADV touring bike and this thing checks all the boxes. You can do anything with this bike.

Let me lead off by asking for some input, I have figured out that this bike LOVES to ride in the higher RPMs, It seems as though when I try to ride at the lower end of the gears RPM range it gives off a moderate of vibration, my brake fluid reservoir is shaking a lot, until I give it throttle and it climbs to its happy RPM range and smooths out. Is this normal or what do I need to keep in mind with this bike?

Next, I was wondering if any SDGT owners have noticed that some gears shift “clunkier” than others when using the quick shifter (3rd or 4th for me is a bit clunkier than the red)? I use mine a good bit above the manual’s referenced RPM, so it’s not that.

1) Any cleaner mirror options, like bar end, that are available that actually work?

2) What are the best tires to go to? Make, model and size? (I’ve heard there are better tire sizes to run than OEM)

3) Has anyone tinted the OEM windshield? I ordered the PUIG touring windshield, but man that thing is too tall for me. Looking to stay OEM size, which is perfect.

4) Are there any pros/cons to the different available exhaust out there? It seems Akrapovic is the most prevalent, however I saw the Hurricane, Austin and OOPART exhaust and LOVE the streamlined and clean under belly or short exhaust setup, but they are all difficult to get in the U.S. at least in my noob searching and not really knowing the best U.S. KTM aftermarket shops out there. Any recommendations or U.S. based shops out there?

5) Is track mode worth it without tracking the bike?

6) Is the Rottweiler air cleaner worth the upgrade?

7) My bike is brand new and I’m already noticing micro scratches on the side of the tank facing me, probably rubbing on my riding gear, any worthwhile tank protection out there?

8) Any other common upgrades for the SDGT, that I may be missing? I was looking at an upgraded steering dampener, however, I feel I haven’t ridden it enough to justify the upgrade yet.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I can't speak to everything but I believe that SDs and the GT love Pirelli Super Corsas but I have never ridden on them at this cooler time of year. I think the Angels aren't a bad tire to get to know the bike but of course sticky rubber is always a good thing. I have a smoked visor on my 16' GT and I love it. omeone did a mod with a windshield but I can't think of who. Perhaps someone can chime in. Get a clip on windscreen for winter. It would be good to keep your neck out of the wind imo. I also suggest you learn to rebuild your own steering damper first. A lot of us have done it and most stop there. I put 30 wt. in mine to see what it's like. It's pretty good. I have a better damper but this is fine for now. There is a tutorial on youtube. I went through 2 exhaust valve motors in 2 years so a Rottweiler servo dongle is cheap and a quick fix. Make sure you get the mounting bracket they suggest. Finally, the rear mudguard is too short and the rear tire flings water and muck about. Fender extenders are fairly cheap. They are a must have for wet weather riding. I'm glad to hear you and your bike are getting along so well. It's pretty amazing isn't it? Oh and don't worry about the brake reservoir and, yeah, the shifting has a clunkiness to it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Nice one Dukester!

They look so sharp in black.......

DG has pretty well summed it up and I can add that all you need to do is ride it and let it settle in with some good miles before changing too much. They really do take a good number of miles to loosen up....... you'll notice the difference after approx 5000mls, and even then it gets better after 9000mls and again after 18000mles :D.

The stock gearing (17f & 38r sprox) is a bit too tall for city work, but can be easily changed if you don't like it....... don't even bother with 6th unless you are at 130mph. I changed mine, initially with a 40t rear and that was pretty good, but I wanted to test the 16t front cog and I fell in love with the 16/40 combination for my local Aussie riding conditions. Try the 40 t rear first as the quick change system on the rear allows for an easy 20min sprocket change....... but do a couple of 000mls first to wear in the chain so it will accept the +2 teeth rear easier than when brand new and tight.

Check those wobbling clutch and brake M/C's in case any screws are loose and loctite the threads if they are.....

European bikes typically take 9000mls to settle in so they can be a bit rough when brand new.

The mirrors are a bit crappy..... it's a 75Deg V2 so it's never going to be as smooth as a 90Deg V2 but there are some nice looking mirrors around - see @AusPete 's post Mirrors Street Carbon Look Approved Logo Orange KTM 1290 Super Duke Gt | eBay (he broke a stock mirror and found these to bling up his GT.....

Tyres...... the Angel GT's are only just ok (if you run them at lower pressures). I use 34F 36R solo unloaded, but there are better tyres around like Road 5's or Bridgestone's like on the 20SDR - depends on how heroic you wanna ride ;).... 120F 190R are spot on for the GT....... which is not a gen3 model like the 20R, although some members have fitted a 200 rear, so take your time to find your limits before looking at any big changes there.

KTM offer a smoked version of the standard screen so that may be the best for you.... although all the screen makers have sport/tour/race versons...... eg MRA, PUIG, and many more...... Google screens for SDGT and filter out all the gen 1 versions as they are different to your gen2 model.

Same for exhausts..... there are slight differences between the gen1 & gen 2 headers, but I'm not sure if that means the slip on muffler's have changed - I think they are still the same ...... anyway, a slipon muffler will only save weight and make a nicer sound, so don't rush in..... I run a Healtech servo dongle with the exhaust flap moved to a free flow angle and an MiVV alloy muffler....... just for looks and sound....... if I wanted performance+ then i'd need to de-cat and get used to a lot more noise..... :devilish:.

I have tank protection...... a cheap adhesive plastic carbon look tank protector.... $20bucks at any bike shop.

The steering damper is fine as it is...... mine is 20k mls old and works fine....... I've read that some SDR guys get a heavier rebuild (probably for wheelies) but the stock damper is fine - maybe after a few 000mls you might want more - but ask the service guys to tension the steering head bearings if you think it's a bit loose - my tech adjusted mine at the 19k mls major service and my GT feels better than ever......

Tyre pressure is a big improver for a brand new Gt - they really don't like the book pressures (36f 42r) for solo sport riding with no luggage. Allow time for the WP suspension to settle in as it will feel a bit sticky/hard in the early days, then it softens up nicely after about 5000mls.

Damn that bike looks nice in black.......

(y)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my 2017 SDGT in June, have done 3,000 miles on it and frankly am struggling to find anything I want to change. Mine came with the PowerParts comfort/heated seats, which I am now thoroughly enjoying in the cool British autumn, and the panniers, which are ace and so easy to detach and carry around like suitcases (a bit leaky in heavy rain, but just wrap your stuff in a plastic bag innit).

I'm told that 02 eliminators are a quick, cheap mod that can smooth out the fuel injection at low revs, so that's something I'll be doing this winter. When the C&S need replacing I will alter the gearing slightly as per some threads on here, too, for an easier cruise. Currently I cruise in 5th unless going 80mph or more, when I use 6th. Also might get rid of the exhaust servo as I understand it can be a weak point. And I may upgrade the battery for a lithium one at some point in the future.

To your Qs - yes mine vibrates hard at certain points in the rev range. Doesn't seem to be a fault, just a characteristic. It's a huge V-twin, so it'd be a freak of science if it didn't vibrate some. I've already learned to ignore/enjoy it. And yes I find some QS changes are a bit clunky - particularly at the lower end of the box. I always use the clutch 1-2 and most often 2-3 too, just seems smoother and less harsh on the gearbox. Further up, I use the QS. But I think your 2020 model has a much-improved shifter over mine anyway. I've found the occasional false neutral, but very rarely.

And yep, I agree, it's very close to being the perfect bike. I think it's roughly my 30th bike (second KTM) and I really can see me breaking habit and keeping the GT for a long time. I really love it. Can't think of anything that fulfils so many roles in one package better :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't speak to everything but I believe that SDs and the GT love Pirelli Super Corsas but I have never ridden on them at this cooler time of year. I think the Angels aren't a bad tire to get to know the bike but of course sticky rubber is always a good thing. I have a smoked visor on my 16' GT and I love it. Someone did a mod with a windshield but I can't think of who. Perhaps someone can chime in. Get a clip on windscreen for winter. It would be good to keep your neck out of the wind imo. I also suggest you learn to rebuild your own steering damper first. A lot of us have done it and most stop there. I put 30 wt. in mine to see what it's like. It's pretty good. I have a better damper but this is fine for now. There is a tutorial on youtube. I went through 2 exhaust valve motors in 2 years so a Rottweiler servo dongle is cheap and a quick fix. Make sure you get the mounting bracket they suggest. Finally, the rear mudguard is too short and the rear tire flings water and muck about. Fender extenders are fairly cheap. They are a must have for wet weather riding. I'm glad to hear you and your bike are getting along so well. It's pretty amazing isn't it? Oh and don't worry about the brake reservoir and, yeah, the shifting has a clunkiness to it.
Thanks for your time in responding, I will check out the Super Corsas and the dampener rebuild sounds like a great winter project. I think a clip on windscreen would be beneficial for those longer/colder rides.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Best mods for me have been the Rottweiler fueling dongles and the 40T sprocket. I do a lot of city riding and those made an amazing difference. As for the exhaust, try removing the stock and listening to the engine at idle and blipped. It will give you an idea of what you can achieve with slip-ons. Which isn't much. I went with an HP Corse which eliminated a lot of weight (nice but not hyper-critical.). More importantly, the stock exhaust looks like the trash can in my company's men's room so it just had to go.

·
Registered
415 Posts
View attachment 99505
Does anyone else realize that the SDGT is pound for pound one of the best bikes ever made? I wanted a SDR for the power and fun, but also wanted a practical ADV touring bike and this thing checks all the boxes. You can do anything with this bike.

Let me lead off by asking for some input, I have figured out that this bike LOVES to ride in the higher RPMs, It seems as though when I try to ride at the lower end of the gears RPM range it gives off a moderate of vibration, my brake fluid reservoir is shaking a lot, until I give it throttle and it climbs to its happy RPM range and smooths out. Is this normal or what do I need to keep in mind with this bike?

Next, I was wondering if any SDGT owners have noticed that some gears shift “clunkier” than others when using the quick shifter (3rd or 4th for me is a bit clunkier than the red)? I use mine a good bit above the manual’s referenced RPM, so it’s not that.

1) Any cleaner mirror options, like bar end, that are available that actually work?

2) What are the best tires to go to? Make, model and size? (I’ve heard there are better tire sizes to run than OEM)

3) Has anyone tinted the OEM windshield? I ordered the PUIG touring windshield, but man that thing is too tall for me. Looking to stay OEM size, which is perfect.

4) Are there any pros/cons to the different available exhaust out there? It seems Akrapovic is the most prevalent, however I saw the Hurricane, Austin and OOPART exhaust and LOVE the streamlined and clean under belly or short exhaust setup, but they are all difficult to get in the U.S. at least in my noob searching and not really knowing the best U.S. KTM aftermarket shops out there. Any recommendations or U.S. based shops out there?

7) My bike is brand new and I’m already noticing micro scratches on the side of the tank facing me, probably rubbing on my riding gear, any worthwhile tank protection out there?

8) Any other common upgrades for the SDGT, that I may be missing? I was looking at an upgraded steering dampener, however, I feel I haven’t ridden it enough to justify the upgrade yet.

Man that is allot of questions in one post. My suggestion is you need to spend some real time with the SEARCH function of this web site. The two best mods I made with the KTM SDGT were:
  • Changing out the stearing damper
  • Changing the OEM sprockets from 17/38 to 16/40

I will throw everyone a bone though. Here is Mt KTM Cheat Sheet:

KTM Cheat Sheet:

Oil Filter Screws- 6 Nm
Oil Drain Plugs- 20 Nm
Handlebar Clamp Screws- 20 Nm
Screw on Rear Axel for Chain Adjustment- 17mm/ 70 Nm
Rear Rotor Screws for rear sprocket- 13mm/36 Nm
Rear Wheel Axel Screw- 250 Nm
Front Wheel: Front Axel Bolt- 45 Nm, Axel clamp Screws- 15 Nm
Front Brake Screw Disc 30 NM/ Caliper- 25Nm (loctite 2701)
Front Sprocket- 100 Nm (loctite 263); 32 mm/ replace Toothed Securing Plate (Item: 60033034000)
Manifold Screws- 25 Nm
Exhaust Screws- 8 Nm

Best,

Doc (y) (y)

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
408 Posts
After 3 years and 15,000 miles on my SDGT, here are some of my conclusions:
Lowered foot pegs ($60 on eBay), and Vox risers are my two favorite mods. Next is my Cal-Sci "barn door" indscreen for winter riding. I echo others in saying Angel GT tires work better at LESS than the recommended psi of 36/42. I run mine at 32/38.

I am completely happy, and see no need (for me) to change any of the following:
  • Exhaust system
  • Stock sprockets/gearing
  • Seat
  • Steering damper
  • Rear fender/tail assembly.

YMMV

I ride mine as if it was a 4-speed; very rarely using 5th gear, and almost never using 6th. I typically never ride interstates, but cruise at 5-6k rpms.

It's my favorite bike of all time, and I bought my first bike in 1971.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lowered foot pegs ($60 on eBay), and Vox risers are my two favorite mods. Next is my Cal-Sci "barn door" indscreen for winter riding. I echo others in saying Angel GT tires work better at LESS than the recommended psi of 36/42. I run mine at 32/38.

• Exhaust system
  • Seat
  • Steering damper

YMMV

I ride mine as if it was a 4-speed; very rarely using 5th gear, and almost never using 6th. I typically never ride interstates, but cruise at 5-6k rpms.

Very insightful, thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2020 GT as well.
Got it back in March.
I saw nobody mentioned the track pack. I have it and enjoy riding it that mode mostly due to the extra sensitive throttle.

I got rid on a BMW R1200GS & an HP4 to find a bike that could cover both touring and sportbike power.

Enjoy your new ride!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the quickshifter, I was advised to NOT use it much for the first 500 miles so the clutch can break in properly. The service guy said the QS shifts so fast the clutch doesn't get much use. I'm sure others with many more miles on their bikes can say if that's really an issue.
For me after 3k miles, under partial throttle or easy street/city riding, it does seem to shift rather abrupt. I tend to still use the clutch about half the time during those situations.

For the track pack, the only two things I see it giving you for the street is the ability to turn off the anti-wheelie control, and to have the super-moto ABS mode. (ABS on the front, nothing on the rear.)
Eventually I plan on getting the full stg. 5/6 Rottweiler kit, so I believe some of the map swapping goes away with the PC5(?). But it's was only about $300, so I thought it was worth it.

Windscreen, I went with the smoked PUIG touring windscreen, then added the MRA xscreen touring. Way better for chilly days, but I'll stick to stock for the warmer months.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Oh one thing that has not been posted is about changing the rear tire. Have I guy I sometimes ride with that just got a 2020 SDGT. Here is what I just sent him:

Don,

I forget to tell you. Your bikes requires a special 60mm rear axel socket to change the rear tire. The torque is 250 nM. I recommend one with a large1/2 drive. There are several on the market (KTM STEEL WHEEL SOCKET 40mm / 60mm 1290 SUPER DUKE R/GT/SE Tool 2014-16 ). You may want to pick up one with the rear tire maintence tool ( KTM Maintenance Tool Set Chain/Rear Wheel 40M/60 MM 1290 SUPER DUKE R/GT/SE 2014-2016 )

Make sure to carry the socket with you in case the rear tire has to be replaced. Most shops do not have a socket this big. The other tool is used to tighten or loosen your chain. (KTM Spanner Wrench 1290 Super Duke GT/R 2014-2020 )

Best,

Doc

·
Registered
28 Posts

• Exhaust system
  • Seat
  • Steering damper

YMMV

You have a lowered foot peg that you recommend? Is that the same thing as the adjustable foot pegs?

That and a clip on windshield is about all I would need for now.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Have only done a few add ons, CF parts and Givi tank bag, top case. Looking to replace muffler eventually. Current has a little over 9000 miles, bought my 19 in March of 20. On my second set of tires, Continental Road Attack 3's.

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
408 Posts
You have a lowered foot peg that you recommend? Is that the same thing as the adjustable foot pegs?

That and a clip on windshield is about all I would need for now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
View attachment 99505

I’ll answer your initial question; yes, the GT is the best pound for pound bike out there. I haven’t put many miles on mine, but it really is the “everything bike.” It sits way too high for me, but that’s not a knock on the bike. I’m just vertically challenged;). It’s engineering perfection. I’ve ridden just about everything and this bike is unbelievable in its capabilities. I’ve spent a small fortune trying to get a Harley to do what this bike does out of the gate stock. My other KTM is a 525 SX and it’s such an amazing off road bike I accept the struggle riding it out here in the desert and I just accept that I drop it time to time. It’s a dirt bike!
To answer question #4, I would take some time and look at SPX in Germany. I purchased an exhaust from them and the customer service was really great. It’s about 6 weeks to get one to the states but it’s really beautiful. The Germans at SPX make great quality products. It’s worth the wait. My exhaust is still in the box unused, but the welding and quality is perfect. I found SPX from a buddy of mine that races an R and turned me onto them. I definitely see the R model in my near future.
If you search the forums there’s a couple of really good guys that posted answers to my questions about aftermarket foot pegs and bar risers. Lots of options out there. You definitely bought an amazing bike.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I can only echo all of the above.

The 40 t rear is a good cheap mod.

I have the track pack, and it is a hoot in the twisties. Mid range punch is noticeably stronger.

As others have said, the engine will loosen up with miles.

There is a knack to using the QS...2-3 and 3-4 can be very smooth if you get it right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 99505

I have the same bike. Put the KTM smoked screen on it. Really looks nice with that color scheme. I use it mainly for touring and wouldn’t change anything else. Love it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Go with the KTM smoke windscreen over the Puig.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts