KTM Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good to be here.... I currently have a few bikes including a 390 Duke and planning to buy a SDR.... (I posted this under general too but was advised to rather do it here).

I rode the 2017 SDR a year ago, then the 2018 SDR a few months ago... and now I'm think of buying a new 2019 SDR as they are now on "special" over here. I have not heard much bad about them, so I guess they are good / reliable? I'd like to hear from 2017 - 2019 SDR owners.... positive and negative points please. At this stage I just sold my Ducati XDiavel S that I thought was quite powerful and torquey... Lastly, it seems the SDR's LCD has no GPS option?? Regards!

·
Super Moderator
926 Posts
Hey @JWC just caught up with your post. I have a '17 SDGT - same mechanics as SDR but a few improvements to change the genre to Sports Tourer. I've got 44,000km on mine, at scheduled service intervals, without a mechanical issue. There have been a few recalls that have been managed well by my local (SE Queensland Australia) dealer, a couple of upgrades that may not be relevant to the SDR you are considering. The early year models don't get the TFT screen so I have no comments on that feature. Buy shares in a tyre manufacturer because they are hungry for rears.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks AusPete!! The 2019 model will only be here mid November... I ordered a white one... Regards!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Good choice JWC...... same excuse for me...... just surfing the forum on a hot Aussie day........ I have noticed the forum has gone a bit quiet lately..... I'm assuming all the northern hemisphere guys are mothballing their bikes for winter.

The SDR is super reliable...... though some have complained that their radiators have developed leaks - not sure if it is all that common, or if it is caused by stiff suspension settings and wheel standing activity, or an issue with mounting rubbers not eliminating vibrations, or redline revving riders :devilish:. Maybe ask when you are settling the account - perhaps extended warranty might cover it in the first 3yrs.

I also have a 2017 SDGT and now have 26,000kms up, with no issues. AusPete has 40k kms, and I think Joe Palma has >100k kms on his 1290.

Your SDR has exactly the same gearing ratio's as our SDGT's...... and we all noticed that the thing is very tall geared, though it is deceptive due to the power and torque available. Some SDR guys fit a 16t sprocket, but after a couple of 000kms you might prefer to squeeze a 40T rear onto the quick change rear end (15min easy job) just to make life in traffic a little bit easier. It won't turn into a maniac wheelie monster..... I run 16/40 gearing and it is fine (fits with oem chain), though I intend to go 17/42 when I need a new chain (longer) next year or so. Oem chain lasts really well with a little bit of chain lube.

PS The SDR guys usually run lower pressures than the handbook, for grip....... same goes for me.... light bike, big horsepower, need as much grip as possible :D.

(y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much DaveAu!! Yes, I find this forum very quiet.. . maybe it is your approaching winter. Good to hear the SDR is reliable. I just sold my 2017 Ducati XDiavel S (the latest 1262cc brute engine... and I hope the SDR will match the thrill!!) I see that the claimed 177HP for the SDR is at the crank ... only 154HP on the rear wheel. Seems like a lot of loss via the drive train and only a little lighter than the Ducati.. The Cape Town based dealer contacted my an hour or so ago to say the bike arrived and will be ready by tomorrow. I will look at the gearing and the tyre pressure for sure! Regards!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Cheers JWC,

The Diavel puts out about the same horse power as the SDR.... just has a slightly different torque curve that makes it feel stronger where it is ridden most (eg 2 torque peaks, around 5k rpms and also around 9k rpms) whereas the KTM has a bit less low rpm Hp & torque but builds it's power & torque very quickly with revs....... and it revs up so fast....... that gear change light flashes angrily when you give it some 9K hurry up ;).

I like the sound of the Ducati's...... but the KTM has it's own way of stirring the soul......

Don't baby that SDR..... it will shake and shudder at low rpm due the tall gearing... so give it plenty of rpms and it will be smoother (that's also why we changed our gearing..... just to make life a little easier in traffic). I mostly ride mine around 4500/5000 rpms anyway..... only gets a bit warm at traffic lights when the radiator fan blows directly down the front header onto my right foot.

It is no hotter than a Ducati anyway, but guys have de-cated and fitted fuel dongles (tricks the ECU into using the main map all the time instead of dropping onto the O2 sensor controlled "closed loop" Euro 5 map) for cooler exhaust temps and some more music.

I'm heading into summer out here in the southern hemisphere...... 35C yesterday (heat wave 39C forecast for the next 3 days) and we are still fighting big bush fires as we have been in a severe drought for most of this year...... this summer could be a disaster here in Aus if we don't get any rain soon.

(y)

PS It is normal for friction loses (gearbox/chain/tyres/etc) to account for about 20-25hp from an engine dyno figure. The KTM is rated at 177cshp so on a rolling road dyno it will put around 153hp into the ground...... all bikes suffer this loss..... and the belt drive system is even less efficient than a chain drive as it has higher frictional losses around the tight front radius belt pulley. I'm not certain, but I think the 157hp claimed by Ducati is at the crank. All previous MS1200's only made 117kw vs the KTM's 130kw had so it's all down to gearing, VVT and shape of the torque curve giving a feeling of more/less power. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm surely going to de-cat... and will look into the "dongle" too. I test rode the 2017 SDR and then a year later the 2018 SDR and the 2018 model felt tamed... then a month ago I rode the 2019 model and it felt neutered... The dealer explained the Engela Merkel suicide Euro rules for bikes and how difficult it became to make these things perform. Add to that the poor quality of fuel we have here and you get even less performance!! I sold the Ducati because of very poor fuelling- it felt like the throttle was an on / off switch AND below 3000 rpm on the down throttle the rear cylinder was switched off and by doing so it did not want to blip the throttle in that position. I could not live with that. The Bosch ECU is also totally locked and even I had a Rapid Bike chip fitted it did not help a bit. I understand this is coming for KTM too as to comply with even more stupid and stricter Merkel rules... Lastly the Ducati's ridiculous 30K Desmo service cost made up my mind. I hope the KTM will be a success as this will be my last bike - I'm nearing my 70's and soon will go home... I have completed just over 1 mil. Km over the past 53 years of riding bikes!! I know the heat - we are now in day 3 of a heat wave here too... 43C yesterday! Last year I measured 49C in the shade over here. Blessings!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Aangename Kennis JW!
I am an expat South African living in Toronto via Mauritius, Cayman Islands, and South Carolina.I started riding dirt bikes at Syringa spa in the days of Charlie Tissen and Grant Maben, (1970's) so many many years back. My first KTM was a 400 cc two stroke beast of a bike that I used to ride the Roof in Maseru way back when. I just sold my BMW K1600 b and replaced it with a 2019 SD 1290 GT.
Havent had much time on it yet cause yeah winter, but the little I have ridden it I love it and I'm sure you will too. Welcome to the forum!

Good luck with the new bike!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts