KTM Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, 2 birds with one stone kinda post this.
Greetings from Sunny South Africa. I took delivery of a 2018 SDR 2 weeks ago, with stupid low milage on, all the backs and bells and whistles guy could ask for.
I have really been enjoying the machine, and as a road bike it ticks all the boxes for me.

I do however need some advice.

I am quite a big lad, weighing in at 260lbs or 120kg (yea in the process of shedding it off), and I am wondering if there are any other big boys that can help with suspension setup/advice? The bike is currently set to the sporty settings as per the manual, but it still feels very floaty and almost loose in corners, I am wondering if I could, and if its safe to go slightly harder with the settings?

Any advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Welcome to the KTM fold and nice pic, don't forget to send more. I'm not qualified to give advice on set up for your weight since you weigh about one third more than I. But maybe one of these guys from Texas will chirp in, you would pass as a light middle weight there.
Youtube has many videos too - look up Dave Moss or Two clicks out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Wacko.........I owned a 2015 SDR and found the front end to be very squirrelly and loose when in bumpy tight corners......I didn't like the handling one bit as it wasn't very confidence inspiring.
I'm 200lbs (90kg ) wet and I tried every combination of front suspension adjustment the bike had to offer with only marginal improvement.
I found that changing tyres from the stock Dunlop's to Metzlers M77R made a big improvement.............but the bike still wasn't to my satisfaction.....I sold it and bought a KTM Super Adventure S and I have to say it is far superior in handling to my old SDR...........
The SDR is a far more exciting bike to ride than the SAS, but only if the roads are to the SDR's liking.....ie smooth meandering long corners...............
I haven't heard too many complain about the SDR's handling.....but maybe they are of the lighter persuasion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found that changing tyres from the stock Dunlop's to Metzlers M77R made a big improvement.
Thanks sir, I have switched over to Pirelli Rosso Corsa III's but have not had a go on her in anger since the switch, will see what she feels like now. but yea it feels exactly like you described, squirrelly is the right word!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice!
I have your same size.
A solution could be substitute the rear spring with another one relevant our weight.
If not ...3 or 4 mm of preload.

·
Registered
368 Posts
How many clicks to set the shocks for? Go by the owners manual it reads different setting for different riding styles .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many clicks to set the shocks for? Go by the owners manual it reads different setting for different riding styles .
Gee thanks. think is those settings are for a 80kg rider, on European roads. If you think that is for everyone...you must have a hell of a time riding.

·
Registered
439 Posts
What the other guys were saying about all that suspension black magic. Welcome, too.

If you wanna lose weight (and lose the will to live at the same time) do squats. Squats till your legs pump battery acid, then squat some more. And make sure you eat more lean beef + cabbage per month than you'd otherwise ever have eaten in a lifetime.

No I wouldn't do it either, but it does work!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Gee thanks. think is those settings are for a 80kg rider, on European roads. If you think that is for everyone...you must have a hell of a time riding. What?

SaveShare
Reply Quote

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.