KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Someone had mentioned on FB that I should join this forum. As I was about to register, I saw that I was, um, already registered. I had a 690 Duke sometime back (which I loved), I guess I forgot. Perhaps old age or something like that.

In any event, I've been street riding longer than I care to disclose and do all my own work. I just picked up this 2015 with all of 3,000 miles on it from a friend who admitted he wasn't riding it enough. I was ecstatic. I've been sorting through things (including getting rid of that rear fender) for the last week or so, and learning my way through the bike, which is why I am here. I went for the first spin this weekend after changing out all the fluids, and it was an absolute BLAST. Could not be happier.

The first trip included a gas station stop, right around the corner, for some fresh fuel. I smelled a whiff of coolant there, though didn't see any evidence of it. Now the bike had not been run in a while, and by the time I got home, no smell, and upon closer inspection, still no evidence. It seems to me from what I have been reading the radiators can be problematic. Anything I should be concerned about? Oh, and not residual - when I said I changed out the fluids that does not include coolant (on the docket).

Also, and feel free to mock me, but I see generations referenced a lot - which gen is a 2015?

Anyway, just dropping a note before I came out of nowhere asking real questions. Thanks for having me (again).

-Robert

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice collection! Can't help you with the coolant but your bike is a gen1 .
Thank you! And thanks for solving the gen mystery. The Speed Triple is departing shortly, selling to a friend. I'm greedy but not THAT greedy.

As far as the coolant, may not be a big deal, I'm just a bit of an OCD perfectionist.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did that include clutch fluid? If so, I hope you used mineral hydraulic fluid and not DOT4 etc?
Absolutely, used the mineral oil, I remember that from the 690. I even sprung for the Motorex. :)

Reactions: Joe1290

·
Registered
352 Posts
Welcome back! Nice collection you have going there. cough cough even the car!

I've stopped drooling on myself now. Move along, nothing to see here!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome back! Nice collection you have going there. cough cough even the car!

I've stopped drooling on myself now. Move along, nothing to see here!
Thanks! I hope it's not viewed as showing off, rather, trying to demonstrate I'm a dedicated gearhead/geek. That, and this is what peak earning years and no life looks like.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks! I hope it's not viewed as showing off, rather, trying to demonstrate I'm a dedicated gearhead/geek. That, and this is what peak earning years and no life looks like.
Nope, I didn’t see it that way!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Cheers rwantin from the other side of the rock......

You asked about radiator issues and mentioned you will likely change the coolant..... read up on both in here, as the SDR can crack a radiator mount due to it's tank-radiator mounting point rubbers etc etc - the SDR guys can explain properly, I had an SDGT which has different mounting hardware and doesn't have that problem.

Coolant is a mission on the 1290's as the air bubble is awkward to bleed out, but many have done the change without issue - though some have ceiling winch points to help raise the front wheel 20" or so etc etc ;)

Welcome on board (y)

PS The rear axle nut really is torqued up to 250Nm....... so you'll need a big socket with an inner locating sleeve and a :censored: long handle to get it undone..... and a 300Nm torque wrench to do it up again.

Reactions: rwantin

·
Registered
708 Posts
Welcome anyways Robert! My take away is that everything is clean and everything is in its place. Also the SD slots in admirably into the stable doesn't it? As for coolant, be advised that the upper left radiator mounts move too much and the radiators can crack up there and leak. It is a known issue. Youtube and a forum search will give you what you need.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks gentlemen, great info, further inspection forthcoming. I have two ratcheting hooks from that middle beam in the garage - was helpful in completely stripping off the front end of a 700+ lb bike, so if I need to raise the KTM, should be a breeze. Also have the rear axle sockets on the way. I don't need them yet, but hate being caught out when I DO need tools.

Again, appreciate the learning here. This is a pretty amazing machine.

·
Registered
383 Posts
:cool: Welcome to the site and congrats on getting a great deal, nice looking bikes and garage, love the cobra,, is it a kit car??always wanted one :rolleyes: maybe when done with bikes, I have a 18 690 DUKE with almost 7000 miles on and love the torque, enjoy and be safe...(y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:cool: Welcome to the site and congrats on getting a great deal, nice looking bikes and garage, love the cobra,, is it a kit car??always wanted one :rolleyes: maybe when done with bikes, I have a 18 690 DUKE with almost 7000 miles on and love the torque, enjoy and be safe...(y)
Thanks! It's a Factory Five MK IV. It's actually my second. I sold the first to my best friend because I felt I was ready to move on to something else. It took me two years of searching old/fun cars to realize the only thing that can replace a Cobra is another one.

I LOVED my 690 Duke! It was my introduction to things KTM and ever since I sold it, kind of wanted to get back into one. Problem solved. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts