KTM Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks: I am deciding between the Duke 690 and Duke 790. There are several "new old stock" model year '17 and '18 690s within my geographic reach, and the price on these is quite enticing, as the dealers (somewhat desperately) try to part ways with the quickly aging fleet. But my worry is, and this is my question to you: how bad is it for a bike/motor/moving parts/fluids to sit around a dealership for year or two, not being driven/used? My sense is that these machines "like" being used, and to sit idle for long stretches can't be good for reliability.

I would appreciate your insights on this question. By buying a NOS 690, are we saving money merely to spend it later on repairs and reliability issues? What are your thoughts on buying NOS bikes?

Thank you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I found that the 790 is so much different to the 690. Have you sat on them ? Taken them for a test ride ?

I would go for last years model and save the money. Do the 600 miles and then they will change the fluids, etc. Job done.

And I have never had a turbo bike. I dont know what NOS is like either.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I found that the 790 is so much different to the 690. Have you sat on them ? Taken them for a test ride ?

I would go for last years model and save the money. Do the 600 miles and then they will change the fluids, etc. Job done.

And I have never had a turbo bike. I dont know what NOS is like either.
Lol

I wouldn't have any problem with New Old Stock - enjoy the saving, make sure it gets the updates and change the brake fluid 2 years earlier

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all if the bike hasn't been ran-up yet with ZERO mileage on it. They come with assembly lube and other measures to get across the pond and sit for a few years if need be.

If the bike was a demo bike and just a shop ho' then I would be weary about startup & cooling measures, maintenance, rev-limiter action, etc.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would buy a NOS bike in a second. Particularly if the warranty is still 2 yrs. The oil and coolant don't go bad and the brake fluid won't suffer much living indoors. Being me, I'd probably flush new brake fluid in but it would be overkill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I definitely wouldn't worry about a year or two. I was in a similar situation with a Suzuki DRZ400SM. I HAD to have the older blue-and-white scheme and drove down to Ohio to get a leftover 2014. It was about a year-and-a-half old at that point, but the price certainly made it worthwhile. And no issues with it whatsoever.

It has since been replaced by the Duke, and no issues with that, either. In fact, you could say I'm downright happy about it. :grin2:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would buy a NOS bike in a second. Particularly if the warranty is still 2 yrs. The oil and coolant don't go bad and the brake fluid won't suffer much living indoors. Being me, I'd probably flush new brake fluid in but it would be overkill.
I bought my 2018 690 at the end of August last year. At 2600 miles I changed the clutch master to the Oberon based on the failures discussed here. I was surprised by how dirty the clutch fluid was. Since we'd already opened a bottle of DOT 4, we also changed the brake fluid, and it was nasty dirty as well. So your point about changing the brake fluid is a good one.

FWIW, I've had zero issues with mine in cranking the miles on. I decided to go with non-synthetic 10-50 at the 600 mile change, then went to the full synthetic 10-60 at 1000 miles. It has used absolutely no oil since then, despite my best efforts to flog it!

I'd also agree that the 790 will be quite different ergonomically- lower bars and more rearward pegs. The 690 is simply perfect for me in terms of fit. I'd add that the 690 makes the same torque as the 790 and is lighter, so it will be more fun in the twisties!!!!

Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
I'd also agree that the 790 will be quite different ergonomically- lower bars and more rearward pegs. The 690 is simply perfect for me in terms of fit. I'd add that the 690 makes the same torque as the 790 and is lighter, so it will be more fun in the twisties!!!!

Dave
Errrrrrm going to have to say NO on that...

·
Registered
990 Posts
Years ago, the industry took a downward turn and distributors were stuck with thousands of bikes the dealers couldn't sell. It took a couple of years to sell off the leftovers at discounted prices and I never heard a peep about any of them having issues from being stored.

A year-old bike on the showroom floor should be as good as a new model.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my 2017 690 in Feb this year. got 2k off sticker, so I was happy. No problems so far. I just need to find the time to put the new sprockets on it. And I'm kinda bummed I can't put the track pack on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Errrrrrm going to have to say NO on that...
690 Duke 70 hp, 51.4 foot-pounds, 327 pounds

790 Duke 95.1 hp, 58.2 pound-feet, 372.5 pounds

I leave the power- and torque-to-weight ratio computations as an exercise for the student.... and stand by my "more fun" claim!!!!

Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
690 Duke 70 hp, 51.4 foot-pounds, 327 pounds

790 Duke 95.1 hp, 58.2 pound-feet, 372.5 pounds

I leave the power- and torque-to-weight ratio computations as an exercise for the student.... and stand by my "more fun" claim!!!!

Dave
Yeah it's a tough one that's for sure. They're both absolutely brilliant for me, i love both bikes.

I've got a decision in Oct 2021 as it's my 50th and a new bike will be potentially being bought.

The decision will be between a 790 and a 690. IF they make a 690D with Quickshifter from the SMC-R, and the Auto-blipper, then making the choice cold be very very tricky for me. It may actually even be the SMC-R that gets bought.. but they're VERY expensive for what they are... but if KTM are for example clearing left-over stock for a decent price, then HMMMMM that's getting tough there.

The only place the 690 really loses out for me is 'stability' it's just a tiny bit lacking in that department at 100mph, it get a bit flighty, even with the R shock/forks, it's still not exactly stable at them speeds. Now we may not reach them speeds often, but when we do, i'd like the 690 a bit more planted.

I'm going to spend some time in the next 2 years thinking about this i can tell ya !

·
Registered
112 Posts
The only place the 690 really loses out for me is 'stability' it's just a tiny bit lacking in that department at 100mph, it get a bit flighty, even with the R shock/forks, it's still not exactly stable at them speeds. Now we may not reach them speeds often, but when we do, i'd like the 690 a bit more planted.
If you losing your grip a little on the bar and grip the tank with your knees then it maybe a bit better. I would say mine is stable at them type of speeds on a runway. I have been up to 120 a couple of times.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah it's a tough one that's for sure. They're both absolutely brilliant for me, i love both bikes.

I've got a decision in Oct 2021 as it's my 50th and a new bike will be potentially being bought.

The decision will be between a 790 and a 690. IF they make a 690D with Quickshifter from the SMC-R, and the Auto-blipper, then making the choice cold be very very tricky for me. It may actually even be the SMC-R that gets bought.. but they're VERY expensive for what they are... but if KTM are for example clearing left-over stock for a decent price, then HMMMMM that's getting tough there.

I'm going to spend some time in the next 2 years thinking about this i can tell ya !
My 690 Has a Nitron Shock and Andreani fork cartridges, both set for my weight. No stability issues at 100 mph- for the bike, that is. I was trying to not be blown off....
If you are consistently riding at 100 mph the 690 isn't the right tool. Just got back from 150 miles of twisty roads, at 40 to 60 mph. 30 highway miles at 75-80 mph to get to the start of the twisties. Totally comfortable and total fun!

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
drdave39
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing