KTM Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have just taken delivery of my dream machine 2008 rc8 and would like to know if anyone has information on the bike fault.

I am doing the valve clearance inspection on a 12k lc8 motor. After removing the throttle bodies I noticed oil sitting on top of the inlet valves.

Is this due to overtight clearances or from sitting a while?

Blue smoke on start up, engine idles and runs okay but after finding this I would like to sort it or get bike shop to cover it.

Thanks for all help as it will be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spoke with Dave wood racing who used to run rc8 cup team and he said its fine. The early ones do it. As long as no excessive oil use and big puddles. ?

On with valve clearance check and mods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Valve clearances are perfect so it's on with the mods.

Sas plates and o2 eliminators, then newer rc8 throttle tube, race air filter and oil change.

Once the guts of the beast are done I'll turn my attention to removing all fairings to give it a deep clean.

After all of that, dyno tuning at DWR to see what he can do. ?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I wouldnt worry, looks like ****ty fuel being run through (ethanol in it??). Or that the SAS reroutes the ****ty exhaust back in so thats why its blackish.

Looks OK to me, but run as good of fuel as you can get IMO.

When I tore mine down, mine were cleaner actually, somehow. And that was before I removed the emission BS. Ill check them again this winter to see.

·
Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
6,811 Posts
After removing the throttle bodies I noticed oil sitting on top of the inlet valves.
that gunk on the valves is more pronounced when you also see that the connecting rubber boot is covered with fuel, like your kind of looks like.
one of the injectors always seems to leave the boot a bit wet, but since discovering it ive had the injectors checked for leaks and flow.
the front cylinder had the wet boot and another sign is where the header meets the exhaust, its a little blacker, so i swapped the injector to the rear, same thing happened there, boot was dry but nowwet in the grooves and the header exit went the darker color while the front reverted back to a better brown and the boot was dry.
then i got them professionally cleaned.
thread is in the rc8 treasure chest sticky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts