KTM Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 SDR
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a KTM forum but I’d love to hear from members that have both or experienced both.

One bike is never enough but my “board of director” aka wife begrudgingly approved one bike …so I’ve only had one bike at a time…If I was single, I’d have 3…

my neighbours both have the top (ULTRA) streetglides and we do ride quit a bit so I’ve learnt to appreciate them (great storage and the seem great for long distances) - the guys I ride with also have no problem exploring-dirt fire roads. I won’t (highly unlikely will be off road). I’ve riden their bikes and it takes some getting used to with the foot controls but once moving, they are fun and have amazing protection from the elements.

I currently have a 2018 SDR (bought new in may 2019) and I’ve put on 32kkm during this pandemic which I really enjoyed with less cars on the road. It’s set up for sport touring - waterproof loackable storage, auxiliary Denali S4 lights, Hexezcan can, Denali sound bomb, highway pegs (awesome mod for the boring stretches) , Rottweiler fueling dongles, Akrapovic carbon slip on…

It’s an awesome bikeand with my mods it’s really hard to part with. The SAS was always a target but the previous gen was just too tall for me but the new one with the lower seat heat opens that door again.

So back to the comparison - I will say I absolutely love the 1290 motor (sure I’ve test riden the 890s which are great as well but not for me) with its silky smooth fat low end torque and the ability to stretch your arms when you are on the gas. So if I get another KTM it will be a 1290 motor.

i remember riding my friends street glide ultra and was suprised my suspension (SDR set to comfort mode) was way better especially on rough roads or going over train tracks. This surprised me but when I looked the specs I noticed they have very limited suspension travel.

Im set to rest ride a new SAS in July (I’ve never riden one) so I’m really looking forward to it. I’m not a fan of how it looks but I’m sure the ergos/wind protection/suspension will be even more comfortable than my SDR.

My neighbours really are not shy to explore those dirt roads which impressed me

Look forward to hearing feedback from those with experience in both.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2020 SAS and love it. I've ridden a few Harleys and would never have one. Horrible vibration and uncomfortable riding position, plus the dealer has a less than stellar reputation

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2019 Streetglide CVO and a 2022 KTM SAS. If I can only have one bike, it would be the KTM. My Streetglide is really comfortable for touring especially 2 up. I do have a tourpak installed on it. I have the KTM Touratech panniers and top case on the KTM and it has plenty of storage. I'm going to keep the Streetglide, but I won't be buying another one or trading it in. I'll continue to trade my KTM in on new models when the upgrade is worth while. I would be very hesitant to ride my Streetglide on gravel or dirt roads, but I don't have this hesitation with the KTM.
Charles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts