KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather reached near 70 today and I was able to ride. I went for a short ride nothing crazy and then I got home I turned the bike off and tried to lock handlebars but then I wanted to start the bike back up and nothing. I press the grey race on button and nothing electronically happens, the screen doesn’t turn on nothing, no lights.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The weather reached near 70 today and I was able to ride. I went for a short ride nothing crazy and then I got home I turned the bike off and tried to lock handlebars but then I wanted to start the bike back up and nothing. I press the grey race on button and nothing electronically happens, the screen doesn’t turn on nothing, no lights.
battery in the fob is dead Walmart has them. Use the hard key in the meantime by putting it on the tank to activate electrics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This has happened to me a couple of times. It's been a couple of months since it last occurred but if I remember correctly it always happened after the bike was shut off for a few minutes like when stopping for petrol or running into a store. After repeated attempts it would finally initialize. I decided that the next time it happened, I would move out of the communication range of the key and retry. Needless to say I've never had a chance to test this approach. My service writer had no advice or solution either. He did replace the battery in the fob (for other reasons) but it's happened since then.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the negative off and put it back on everything is back to normal. The fob battery is fine

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fobs, side stand switches, clutch interlocks...Electrical gremlins can be puzzling...and annoying. Still beats the old kick-starts of 50 years ago...maybe.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Search this forum (as other KTM forums) and you will see this is common.

Start with this thread of mine, where I discovered the root cause to be the switchgear assembly (It is worth the careful read in between the rants, if I do say so myself):

Follow up entertainment about why "KTM is answering a question no one asked about":

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
DON"T PANIC....... I have read on this forum that sometimes the dealers forget to enter a code at pre delivery, and so the bike thinks it has been stolen, and won't restart once stopped.

(I thought this happened to @Hammerhead when he was riding home with his new bike and stopped for fuel..... but maybe it was someone else?)..........

There are very few electrical defects or issues..... mostly poor dealership knowledge or pressure on the mechanics to get a bike ready for sale. But you never know with complex electronics and software.

Call your selling dealership and ask if it is the dealer security lockout issue affecting you before pulling stuff off etc.

(y)

PS In my haste to warn you I missed the post where you may have solved the issue by disconnecting the earth lead....... also, the only other known issue that might be affecting your 19GT might be the RHS switchblock tight wiring issue - that is a known KTM production fault and the replacement part has a new #..... maybe the dealer can arrange for your local shop to investigate/fix under warranty. I thought it only applied to early 19's.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I took the negative off and put it back on everything is back to normal. The fob battery is fine
Great! I'm glad it worked out for you. It is not as good feeling when a brand new bike goes unexplainably wonky. I hate to say it but, more and more, KTM and their funky key fobs, exhaust valve motors that go bad, warping rotors, and unexplainable computer errors reminds me of old Lucas electrics!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought mine at Carolina KTM and the owner has a Super Adventure S himself. He said if the fob goes dead then hold it close to the USB port pocket on the left front when sitting on the bike. The bike's perimeter sensor is located here and will pick up the chip even if the fob battery is dead. This goes for the Super Adventure S & GT.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bought mine at Carolina KTM and the owner has a Super Adventure S himself. He said if the fob goes dead then hold it close to the USB port pocket on the left front when sitting on the bike. The bike's perimeter sensor is located here and will pick up the chip even if the fob battery is dead. This goes for the Super Adventure S & GT.
I believe that the actual sensor is the disc in the center of
this picture, located between the gas cap and the piece that takes the place of the old physical key ignition.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to know. I'm actually going to have JET-HOT in Burlington NC coat my stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
G'day pm...... so how'd you go with the non-start event? Was it a one off or a security lock-out or the fob battery or.....?

One thing my KTM tech said to me way back in 2017 when I mentioned some USA owners were having screen blanking/non starting issues was that you should let the dash check cycle complete before thumbing the go button.

He said the software can be corrupted by fast starts, but also said some dealerships didn't know how to install updates fully which can lead to some strange issues........ he may be correct as I have had no issues with my 17GT...... it starts and goes...... just like any Jap bike....... only better :D.

I have received my electronic module from www.boosterplug.com but haven't had a chance to install it yet - have a read of his website for info about fuel injection....... before you embark on any big changes....... I really regret following forum advice to fit O2 dongles after reading his material. The GT fuels fine anyway..... very slightly lean below 5k rpms for E4 emissions, but it will run cooler once it has done some decent miles. It is however, quite tall geared eg; forget about using 5th and 6th unless you are well over 60mph ..... and even after 5-8000miles 6th will be unusable under 5000rpms or you'll get engine shudder. This can be eased with simple gearing adjustments..... either 40T rear or a 16t front...... see how you go after a few rides (y). You'll probably be in 2nd around town when you may be used to being in 3rd on any other brand of bike ;).... nothing wrong about that but it is awkward in heavy traffic when your only option is to clunk into 1st when the speed drops to a crawl.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Pics when you're done, please. I've considered this for 3 different machines and haven't done it yet.
Will do I should be mailing the exhaust out Tuesday or Wednesday of next week and it takes about 10 days I’ve decided to go with Satin black. I went back and forth between flat, satin, classic polish and graphite
Please let me know how the Jet Hot coating works out. Pics would work as well.
I definitely will upload some pics, they did my exhaust on a bike I had 10yrs ago and the quality was top notch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts