KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New to the forum here, looking for advice, and tips. I went from a 2019 Yamaha MT-09 to a 2019 Ktm 500 exc-f. My ride partner owns a 2019 husky 701sm, and I wanted something similar but different, if that makes sense? The Yamaha was great! But I really like the supermoto feel. Anyway, enough back story....i went with warp 9 racing 17 inch rims, 3.5 up front, 5.0 cush drive at the rear. Wrapped those in Continental Conti Attack SM rubber, and got the piggyback tuner from ktmandhusky guy. I punched out the exhaust screen, and have plans to delete the emissions crap along with removing the intake reeds. I went with 14-44 gearing, and i might buy a 42tooth rear sprocket if the 44 doesn’t handle the highway well. I’m hoping to cruise at 80mph with low rpms, but still easily pull up in 4th gear. I’m also hoping to be able to keep up with my ride partners 701 on windy twisty back roads, and an occasional track day.

Does anyone have a similar build?

Any suggestions or advice for gearing and/or power mods?

Has anyone modified the exhaust by cutting or removing more than just the end cap screens?

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Hey guys! New to the forum here, looking for advice, and tips. I went from a 2019 Yamaha MT-09 to a 2019 Ktm 500 exc-f. My ride partner owns a 2019 husky 701sm, and I wanted something similar but different, if that makes sense? The Yamaha was great! But I really like the supermoto feel. Anyway, enough back story....i went with warp 9 racing 17 inch rims, 3.5 up front, 5.0 cush drive at the rear. Wrapped those in Continental Conti Attack SM rubber, and got the piggyback tuner from ktmandhusky guy. I punched out the exhaust screen, and have plans to delete the emissions crap along with removing the intake reeds. I went with 14-44 gearing, and i might buy a 42tooth rear sprocket if the 44 doesn’t handle the highway well. I’m hoping to cruise at 80mph with low rpms, but still easily pull up in 4th gear. I’m also hoping to be able to keep up with my ride partners 701 on windy twisty back roads, and an occasional track day.

Does anyone have a similar build?

Any suggestions or advice for gearing and/or power mods?

Has anyone modified the exhaust by cutting or removing more than just the end cap screens?
Just asked you in the other thread if yours was stock but missed this thread!

The reeds are super easy to remove! Take a heat gun to them for a couple minutes then remove the square cover around the reed box. Once that is off (I used a small pick) then take a wide set of pliers and just yank them out! Will immediately sound much throatier.

I ended up going with the JD Jetting Tuner simply due to price and ease of access and FMF pipe for the sound. KTMHusky guy had such mixed reviews on Thumpertalk and seeing as how I'm already over $12K into the bike I did not want to fork over another $1200 (Canadian dollars we're talking here) on a Vortex ECU - probably for next year. That being said I did buy his emission delete kit and wheel-weights to balance the rims.

Your bike has got to be 100 lbs lighter than the 701 so keeping up with him after yours is uncorked shouldn't be an issue depending on how you gear it. Have you done any pulls? I'm curious as yours will be more nimble but the 701 is going to have more HP. I know from getting on my 690 after riding the 350 the 690 feels like a tank and it's a ridiculously light bike to majority of everything else out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah man, I agree with the weight difference between 690/701 and the 350/450/500/501 enduros. I feel like the power of the 690/701 makes up for it, but there’s things the smaller bikes are better at, and there’s things the big 690/701s are better at. I think end of the day, they are equal without a professional rider.

I removed the intake reeds ASAP and opened the exhaust, made a huge difference. Also had the tuner from ktmandhusky which is ok in my opinion. I plan to do the Athena GET, or Vortex next year. I believe stock vs stock, 701 vs 500, the 701 wins hands down. But with the simple/cheap mods i did, and 15/45 gearing, the 500 wins the fun factor all day, and maybe some pulls....just have to try to keep the front wheel down lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts