KTM Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year and model bike is this seller say 2000 500. I don’t think KTM made a 500 in 2000 correct?
1DDEE378-3B11-404C-B255-07E131DCB330.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
Welcome aboard. In "Tips and Tricks" you find a KTM VIN# decoder at the top in the category. Check the bikes VIN# (normally on right side of the steering neck, but can be in other places on older bikes) against the decoder and you will find out what year the bike was built.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The engine should have a number also, which indicates its year, so you can check if the engine has maybe been swapped with one from another year.

On KTM motors the engine number is stamped in the engine case just below the drive sprocket. That's an LC-4 motor, which was made for more than 20 years, several variants. On an LC-4 that's the right side.

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
The engine should have a number also, which indicates its year, so you can check if the engine has maybe been swapped with one from another year.

On KTM motors the engine number is stamped in the engine case just below the drive sprocket. That's an LC-4 motor, which was made for more than 20 years, several variants. On an LC-4 that's the right side.
Sadly no. There is no year info in that number. The first 3 numbers is a motor number that tells us what motor it is and what upgrade. The rest of the numbers are a serial number. But on the cases there is a small "clock" that tells you the year and month the engine cases were manufactured. (on the 125/150sx motors that one is next to the gear shift leaver). The cases might have been manufactured in 1999 and used in 2000 (the VIN# will tell you the year of the bike and the case "clock" is almost always same year as the VIN# or a year earlier.

Example of motor numbers:
19xx - 2003 125sx starts with 523
2004 - 2011 125sx starts with 515
2012 - 2015 125sx starts with 524
2016 - now 125sx starts with 504
I have no idea why the three first numbers do not go in logical order. But somewhere someone knows and one day we will be told...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sadly no. There is no year info in that number. The first 3 numbers is a motor number that tells us what motor it is and what upgrade.
The 2 stroke engines are different I guess? The LC-4 and RFS motors have a single digit before the 3-digit type ID, which is the last digit of the year.

Anyway, a KTM dealer should be able to tell the OP some useful info given the numbers.

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
The 2 stroke engines are different I guess? The LC-4 and RFS motors have a single digit before the 3-digit type ID, which is the last digit of the year.

Anyway, a KTM dealer should be able to tell the OP some useful info given the numbers.
I stand corrected! The first number is indeed the year of the motor exactly as you describe!! (You learn something new every day!!) Thanks @Q-B !!!

So:
The first number is the year of the motor. "3" means 2013, "7" means 2017 etc. I am not sure if the alphabet is also used. But from what I have been able to figure out, as the models last less than 10 years normally, it should not be a problem to figure out if the motor is a 2003, 2013 or a 2023 year one..

So therefore we have:

3-524*12345* is the motor number for a 2013 125cc engine with the serial number 12345.

As I stated in my earlier post, numbers 2 - 4 will tell you what engine it is.
523 is a 19xx - 2003 125sx
515 is a 2004 - 2011 125sx
524 is a 2012 - 2015 125sx
504 is a 2016 - now 125sx
All different KTM engines have their own three digit number to tell us what engine it is.
I have no idea why these three numbers do not go in logical order. But somewhere someone knows and one day we will be told...

The last 5 numbers are the engines production number (serial number)

Reactions: Q-B
1 - 7 of 7 Posts