KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone just joined.

I’ve just recently bought a 2008 KTM 85 SX big wheel. Not ridden in over 25 years and fancied getting back in to.

Purchased the bike with the mindset of getting it road legal. Got a few things planned with regards to upgrades.

I’ve started to strip the bike I’ve taken the plastics off. I plan on trying to heatgun them and bring some life back into them. If I can it’ll be new ones and graphics.

I’ll also start a thread in the build section so I keep updating as I go.

thanks for looking,

All help and advice is much appreciated.

Shaun.

·
Super Moderator
2,214 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Where I live (New Zealand) a bike that is not made for the road becomes very expensive to make road legal. Not only does it need all road bits (lights, indicators, horn etc.) but it will also need a certification (that road bikes all come with) that is expansive to do. Where a road legal bike is imported to already be approved for road use, the non-road-use bikes become a "custom bike" that will not fit under the umbrella that the others fit under and becomes a one-off bike (meaning more costs including brake approvals, frame approvals, exhaust emission approval and list goes on). But perhaps where you live this is not needed??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Where I live (New Zealand) a bike that is not made for the road becomes very expensive to make road legal. Not only does it need all road bits (lights, indicators, horn etc.) but it will also need a certification (that road bikes all come with) that is expansive to do. Where a road legal bike is imported to already be approved for road use, the non-road-use bikes become a "custom bike" that will not fit under the umbrella that the others fit under and becomes a one-off bike (meaning more costs including brake approvals, frame approvals, exhaust emission approval and list goes on). But perhaps where you live this is not needed??
couple of hundred ££ here in the UK to get things sorted. Certificate of newness, V5 and MOT. All that’s needed for MOT is Horn, Rear light and speedo.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Hello and welcome Shaun. Great looking bike. Nice project. You may find cost for plastics kit much more attractive once you start rubbing scratches off the old stuff. UFO and Acerbis offer complete kits for reasonable cost. Tank can be restored with plenty of sanding and polishing but keep heat gun off fuel tank for safety. Our forum friend here @DW has taught me recently how to restore fuel tank. He's a bit of a wizard at dirt bike restoration. Check out his work on his Honda build up thread. We will follow your restoration here. Be sure to update regularly as you progress and be sure to ask advice or assistance as needed. Best regards

Reactions: DW and 85ive

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and welcome Shaun. Great looking bike. Nice project. You may find cost for plastics kit much more attractive once you start rubbing scratches off the old stuff. UFO and Acerbis offer complete kits for reasonable cost. Tank can be restored with plenty of sanding and polishing but keep heat gun off fuel tank for safety. Our forum friend here @DW has taught me recently how to restore fuel tank. He's a bit of a wizard at dirt bike restoration. Check out his work on his Honda build up thread. We will follow your restoration here. Be sure to update regularly as you progress and be sure to ask advice or assistance as needed. Best regards
Hi buddy thank you for the welcome.

Funny you should mention the plastics I’ve just literally this minute come from the garden trying to restore them. Passed it off as a bad job and just going to buy new ones. Check out prices and for what they cost may as well but brand new shiny ones after all the plastics are the face of the bike 👍🏻

I need to decide which graphics I’m going for then that’ll determine which colour plastics I get 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
You have some cool custom graphics options. I have found my favorite here is DeCalworks graphics. Stuff is durable. Take time to design your own colors and design on their custom graphics catalog. It allows you to see your bike in their graphics and change colors in real time.

Reactions: DW, Axzon and 85ive

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have some cool custom graphics options. I have found my favorite here is DeCalworks graphics. Stuff is durable. Take time to design your own colors and design on their custom graphics catalog. It allows you to see your bike in their graphics and change colors in real time.
ooh I like the sound of that I’ll have a play with that today

·
Dirt Wizard
4,476 Posts
Amazing what a bit of coin will let you get away with. You'd have better luck pulling teeth from a crocodile than registering a non compliant bike over here. I think Australian and NZ are getting screwed Axe.
I'm always interested in the builds. If new plastics are available just go for them. Plastic restoration is a time consuming pain in the a-se.
I usually like graphics that are not to far stretched from the factory. Although a custom set can look pretty good. (Can also cover up sh-tty old plastic)
I bought a custom made set for my 570 Berg. Bloody thing looked amazing. I will see if I can find out who it was for ya.
Oh, and welcome to the forum @85ive.
Both these other 2 in your thread know their sh-t. Any questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New plastics ordered my current fork guards are still in great condition so there was no need to get those. Just need to order a filter cover now then that’s the plastics sorted..

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Well done. Spray those plastics with SC-1 and they will shine like a supermodels A$$ :LOL:
Seriously, it shines them pretty but it also prevents mud and dust from sticking on plastics

Reactions: DW and 85ive

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well done. Spray those plastics with SC-1 and they will shine like a supermodels A$$ :LOL:
Seriously, it shines them pretty but it also prevents mud and dust from sticking on plastics
Oh I’ll look into that I’ll order some off Amazon 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Smells great too. Makes my enclosed trailer smell like a whorehouse :LOL:

Reactions: DW and Axzon

·
Dirt Wizard
4,476 Posts
Reactions: augiedoggie

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Sure, blame it on the silicone spray....
Actually my trailer smells like a combination of SC-1 and sunoco race fuel and chain lube. When the wife burns those damn candles in the house after I use the toilet I leave the house and sit in trailer for some manly smell.....well actually she requests i leave the house.....well she doesn't actually say I should leave the house but the expression on her face when she cleans the toilet sort of makes me leave the house for awhile :rolleyes:
Trailer smells better than her damn girly candles anyways...

·
Dirt Wizard
4,476 Posts
Would the SC-1 effect the graphics adhesive at all?
Yes, 100%. Nothing sticks to silicone. Except dust when it's wet. You can probably spray it after the stickers are on. I don't think it will affect the stickers once they're on and adhesive is cured. Best to check with sticker manufacturer. Some stickers can even be clear coated over

Reactions: augiedoggie

·
Dirt Wizard
4,476 Posts
Actually my trailer smells like a combination of SC-1 and sunoco race fuel and chain lube. When the wife burns those damn candles in the house after I use the toilet I leave the house and sit in trailer for some manly smell.....well actually she requests i leave the house.....well she doesn't actually say I should leave the house but the expression on her face when she cleans the toilet sort of makes me leave the house for awhile :rolleyes:
Trailer smells better than her damn girly candles anyways...
Ah right, here I was thinking you might've been using the trailer for a sideline trafficking job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Little update…

New tyres have arrived I went for the Dunlop D605 was a thought feat trying to find road legal tyres for my wheel size but all sorted now.

following parts have been ordered also..

• Chain and sprockets 13/49 Renthal and DID chain
  • Pro Taper handlebars
  • Apico orange flexi levers
  • Apico orange lever sliders
  • Apico orange dress up kit
  • All Balls front/rear wheel bearings
  • Braking front/rear pads
  • Apico orange fuel cap
  • Apico orange wide pegs
  • Apico forged orange brake pedal
  • Acerbis orange chain guide

Need to find a seat cover I like that goes with the graphics and some grips as well. Some parts won’t be here until 24th-30th June however I’ve still got lots to be getting on with. Polishing swing arm, triple clamps and get rims painted plus bike still needs a through clean.

Thanks

Shaun

1 - 20 of 29 Posts