KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Looking good. Post pictures

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
** UPDATE **

Stripped the bike further yesterday and today and came across a horrible problem. I removed the wheels to strip them of brakes, sprockets and bearings. Took sprocket and brakes off however the spacers and bearings were stuck SOLID. After plenty of foul language, grinding and hammering I managed to get them free.

So carried on stripping and she’s looking pretty bare now. I’m actually considering powder coating the frame now as I’m practically there and I feel it’ll really tidy the bike up when finished.

Had a few little bits arrived in the post so I’ll post pics once I’ve opened the parcels.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
As rough as those bearings are, you can count yourself lucky she didn't destroy the hub. Factory finish may already be powder coated. The larger frames are factory powdercoat. Not sure if the smaller bikes are. Either way fresh powdercoat is super durable and looks great. Sandblasting existing powdercoat off frame is a bitch. I recently blasted powdercoat from Honda frame and it took 6 or more hours

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
As rough as those bearings are, you can count yourself lucky she didn't destroy the hub. Factory finish may already be powder coated. The larger frames are factory powdercoat. Not sure if the smaller bikes are. Either way fresh powdercoat is super durable and looks great. Sandblasting existing powdercoat off frame is a bitch. I recently blasted powdercoat from Honda frame and it took 6 or more hours
To be honest I’m not sure if I’ve damaged the hub getting them out how would I know? Yeah it appears the frame is already powder coated however it just seen really dull and there’s a few wear marks on it. The guy who will be doing my rims can deal with stripping the frame 😂

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
If the hub has gouges or scoring where your bearing resides your hub may be damaged. Best to clean hub bore carefully with solvent and rags or scotch brite and inspect carefully for damage. If you have new bearings on hand you can check their fit in the hub. They should have a snug fit in their bore. They should not drop in loosely. They would require a light tap to send them home. Never tap inner race of bearing when installing. Carefully tap outer race to install with a properly sized driver or careful use of dull bronze or aluminum drift

Reactions: Axzon and 85ive

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If the hub has gouges or scoring where your bearing resides your hub may be damaged. Best to clean hub bore carefully with solvent and rags or scotch brite and inspect carefully for damage. If you have new bearings on hand you can check their fit in the hub. They should have a snug fit in their bore. They should not drop in loosely. They would require a light tap to send them home. Never tap inner race of bearing when installing. Carefully tap outer race to install with a properly sized driver or careful use of dull bronze or aluminum drift
I can’t for the life of me seem to find the inner hub spacers that go between the bearings any help would be massively appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
** UPDATE **

Frame completely stripped now and a few more parts been ordered. I decided to sprays the frame myself and I’m pretty happy so far considering I have NEVER sprayed anything in my life.

Before..

After..

That’s just the second coat I’ll be doing another 2 at least then I’ve got some gloss clear coat to go on top.

slowly getting there.

Thanks for looking 👍🏻

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Ooo late to the party but love it! Can't wait to see finished product. Nice list of parts ordered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ooo late to the party but love it! Can't wait to see finished product. Nice list of parts ordered.
Thanks buddy.

Ive had a load of parts delivered but not taken any photos yet so I’ll have to do that when I’ve got a minute.

learning as I go as it’s my first ever time doing anything like this.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts