KTM Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this question isn't too stupid......my 690 Duke has developed a "rattling" sound in the motor that only happens at part throttle......not on acceleration or deceleration, just when the throttle is cracked. It sounds suspiciously like a cam chain slapping against the inside of the engine case because it is too loose. The bike has only 700 miles on it and is going in soon for the initial service. Does the 690 motor have a cam chain? Has anyone else had this problem? Is it adjustable?
thanks for any answers, ama

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am at 3000 miles and mine does that at 4K rpms consistently. Sounds like piston slap sort of ? but I think I agree its probably cam chain loose. Hard to tell . Its bothersome though for sure. Sounds like clacking angry bees in there..LOL Are the 690s prone to abnormal cam chain tension loss?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey AMA, you've been to the dragon & back, did you ever have your motor looked at for this noise? Mine seems noisy too, I just figured a single is less refined than the Honda V4 that I just sold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mine's going to the dealer next week for the breakin service and to investigate the noise. It's exceptionally loud to the point that I was hesitant to ride it, but didn't have much choice. The noise didn't seem to affect the power or running of the bike which leads me to believe that it might me the cam chain. The dealer says that the cam chain is hydraulic, not manually tensioned, so maybe the tensioner is the problem.
ama

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, Morph..........my Duke's at the dealer as we speak for the 700 mile service. He speculated at first the the noise might be the slipper clutch assembly, but after hearing it, concurred that is sounded like cam chain noise and that most 690s had similar sounds. He is going to check all of the valves and the cam chain tension (hydraulic internal device) anyway......more on the outcome later.

By the way, he is also installing the KTM/Akropovik exhaust system, remapping the computer, and installing a 42 tooth rear sprocket as well.

ama

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow ama, that thing will be decked out and should really pull. I have the 15T up fron on mine and it is better for sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mine rattles a bit.... not that bothered as i have heard a lot of other 690's that do it to. i think its just a trate. getting mine back monday after the Akro system put on mine too, and i have a 15t front sproket and have trouble keeping the front wheel down.... actually i dont, i just lift it up.:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bad news, Morph et al; it appears that my noise is caused by bad roller bearings on the rocker arms on the camshaft. My dealer found this problem when he got into the head to check the valves at the 700 mile service. He put a call in to KTM on Friday to see how they want to deal with this problem and if they have seen similar conditions on other 690 motors. I'll keep you updated.
ama

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got the word from my dealer today; KTM is shipping a new camshaft and rocker assembly including roller. Apparantly, the roller scored the cam and both needed replacement. This is what caused the noise in the top end. KTM is doing the right thing and shipping all the necessary parts asap.
ama

·
Registered
181 Posts
AMA, thats good news, but now the question is is this prevalent or isolated to your bike? Yikes! Have they indicated that this could lead to any type of recall or preventative failure replacement due to the bearings being faulty?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer said that KTM didn't think this was a recurring problem.........but, if you have a noise similar to the one I intially described here, I'd be cautious.
ama

·
Registered
181 Posts
AMA any new news? The noise is really becoming irritating to me. Based on your experience, I plan on having the dealer specifically check my rocker arm bearings on the camshaft at my 6000 mile service/valve check.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
parts arrived on Thursday (16th) to replace camshaft and rocker arms/bearings. Should be done by next weekend...........I'll post up after I get it back and ride it a little.
ama

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
isn't the 640 the previous LC4 engine?

do those motors have a history of similiar issues? Is everyone just "spooked" over potential problems with their 690s? I'm torn, as to sell mine, or not...it's so fun to ride! Just put up with it? Are we spoiled ? I'm pretty sure the guys in the 70s, (most makes/models) had to wrench on their bikes frequently...kinda, part of the enjoyment of riding motorcycles...TUNING, yeah, that's it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To me there is a distinct difference between "tuning" and replacing a camshaft and rocker arms because they are deteriorating as I ride. Don't get me wrong, I love riding this Duke as you do and I'm hoping the warranty fix quiets the motor so that I'm not paranoid to ride it, thinking I'll be stranded in BFE somewhere. I went through a really bad experience with a first generation Aprilia SXV 550 a couple of years ago and don't want that anxiety again.
ama

·
Registered
181 Posts
No need to give up these great bikes, just need to keep KTM honest, if they have put out a bad batch of rocker arm bearings that can result in serious premature wear or possible engine siezure, then I want them replaced. My life could depend on it. These are expensive motorcycles and should be right. (Thats why I was willing to pay a premium for it) This is a QC issue, plain and simple.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is getting ridiculous............dealer had to order a bearing puller from KTM that is particular to the 690 motor..........or so I've been told. Maybe I'll get it back tomorrow..............??
ama

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.