KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've made a real mess of things. First over torqued (barely) and one of the oil filter cover bolts and broke the head clean off leaving the rest of the bolt inside the engine case, flush with the rim (nothing to grab onto).

Tried using a speed out, didnt work. Tried drilling it out...got through with a cobalt bit, but still couldn't get all of the broken bolt out.

Sized up to a slightly larger titanium bit and it snapped off inside the hole...about 1/2" inside. Cant get the broken tip of the bit out, it's tight in the m5 bolt hole.

I think Ive ruined the threads either way, they'll prob need to be helicoiled or tapped.

Am I screwed? Should I accept defeat and just send it to a ktm dealer?

Thnx in advance.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
A weld, drill and tap may be in order to do a proper repair. Finding the shop to do it if you don't have the equipment yourself will be the kicker. I wouldn't do an epoxy repair on something that holds oil.

There is a repair called a Time-Sert that would work, properly installed, but I have little faith in helicoils.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A weld, drill and tap may be in order to do a proper repair. Finding the shop to do it if you don't have the equipment yourself will be the kicker. I wouldn't do an epoxy repair on something that holds oil.

There is a repair called a Time-Sert that would work, properly installed, but I have little faith in helicoils.
Do you think a ktm service shop would have the tools necessary to at least get out the jammed drill bit?

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into time serts.

·
Registered
707 Posts
First off, I applaud your honesty. I'm sorry your bike is f%^*ed. A phone call to a machine shop should give you some solid leads. Being friends with someone who works in a machine shop is even better. KTM can't promise that service but you might find a guy at a dealership that has gotten good at repairs like this. This isn't a big problem for someone good. My duct tape level idea would be to sacrifice the oil filter cover with a dremel tool but I would probably end up marring the mating surface and creating a bigger problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off, I applaud your honesty. A phone call to a machine shop should give you some solid leads. Being friends with someone who works in a machine shop is even better. KTM can't promise that service but you might find a guy at a dealership that has gotten good at repairs like this. This isn't a big problem for someone good. My duct tape level idea would be to sacrifice the oil filter cover with a dremel tool but I would probably end up marring the mating surface and creating a bigger problem.
Thnx for the thoughts, I am concerned that my KTM dealer may not be able to resolve this for me. I'll start with KTM, and then go for the wild stealership ride from there...if they prove unfruitful, I'll start hunting down a good machinist. The defeat is kinda killing me right now...Im scared.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Of course it's difficult. Defeat can connect the dots between past failures and the present and make everything bad seem big. Like a telescope. I use to do that to myself. I hated it. this is a minor setback. Pushing blindly into destruction also can be described as not giving up and then being willing to ask for help. Genuinely, I can't see that as a negative because you've already chosen to learn from this. Better men are not made by feeling comfortable. Adventures are not when everything goes right. A machine shop is just a bunch of guys that know how to make and fix things made of metal and they can be very useful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course it's difficult. Defeat can connect the dots between past failures and the present and make everything bad seem big. Like a telescope. I use to do that to myself. I hated it. this is a minor setback. Pushing blindly into destruction also can be described as not giving up and then being willing to ask for help. Genuinely, I can't see that as a negative because you've already chosen to learn from this. Better men are not made by feeling comfortable. Adventures are not when everything goes right. A machine shop is just a bunch of guys that know how to make and fix things made of metal and they can be very useful.
Cheers to that, wise words.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a couple pics, one with cover on (held on by the bolt that didn't shear off), and one with it off...perhaps for posterity's sake.

Been reading a lot about this, and it seems pretty common...however, most seem to not bust a tight fitted drill bit off and get it stuck a half inch inside. Lesson's learned indeed.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thing is, that bit has to come out either for you or for the next guy that gets this job. I've gotten myself into this kind of jam and always recovered knowing that everything comes loose with heat. Use a pencil flame torch to heat up the bolt, the bit will loosen with heat. If there is a millimeter sticking out, it should be enough to grip to twist the broken bit out. Assuming you get the bit out, then heat the bolt again before trying the next size easy-out. An impact screwdriver is also a lot more effective than a constant torque, the percussion effect does wonders in conjunction with heat. This require finess. Don't fret is you mess up the threads, that's easy to fix with helicoil. Worst case - and this is machine shop job - is to drill everything out using a steady bench drill, weld up the hole then re-tap.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thing is, that bit has to come out either for you or for the next guy that gets this job. I've gotten myself into this kind of jam and always recovered knowing that everything comes loose with heat. Use a pencil flame torch to heat up the bolt, the bit will loosen with heat. If there is a millimeter sticking out, it should be enough to grip to twist the broken bit out. Assuming you get the bit out, then heat the bolt again before trying the next size easy-out. An impact screwdriver is also a lot more effective than a constant torque, the percussion effect does wonders in conjunction with heat. This require finess. Don't fret is you mess up the threads, that's easy to fix with helicoil. Worst case - and this is machine shop job - is to drill everything out using a steady bench drill, weld up the hole then re-tap.

The bit is a half in inside the opening, nothing to grab...wish I'd have applied heat when first trying to extract the bolt.

Sounds like the drill bit piece that's stuck is gonna need to be drill pressed out...which I assume means the whole engine case is gonna have to be removed...yikes

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Errmmmm, is the jammed bit far enough inside to allow a helicoil repair and use a shorter bolt to hold the oil filter cover securely in place? If it looks like it will work perhaps it's best to let it be and repair whats left...... the more you chase that broken drill bit, the more likely you'll bust the cases.........

Best wishes on this one ;)

PS Maybe as part of preparing for a helicoil insert the drill tip might come out as you drill a wider hole into the abyss..... :unsure:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, I saw your pictures only after I posted my reply. You're not going to be able to grab the broken bit; you will have to drill it out. It's going to be tricky because a new bit will walk unless you can punch a divot to start, and work slowly. Could not tell from your pic but I hope there's enough material left of the original bolt to get a sharp easy-out to bite. If it's heated up enough it will come without much resistance... key is if you can get it to bite.

·
Registered
KTM 1290 Super Duke R 3.0
17 Posts
u can try with an strong wire formed like an U to spin the drill out if its not jammed

drills.png

xRUKO_querschneiden_im_vergleich.jpg.pagespeed.ic.whVVWcXSED.jpg

·
Registered
381 Posts
That should be a straight forward fix for any good Mechanic shop, Drill/Tap insert a Helicoil or Timesert.
Helicoil would be the cheapest route, should be more than sufficient for this kind of repair.
Timeserts differ from helicoils, its a solid insert that locks into a drilled and tapped hole, the inserts are cheap but the tools are $$$$$.
I've done both Helicoils and Timeserts with great success on both, The helicoil repair was for exhaust stud threads and the Timesert was spark plug hole on a CBR.
A helicoil should fix this right up no problem.
good luck with getting your bike back on the road!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Helicoil is the only choice between the two there is not enough material in that spot to
use a Timesert.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts