KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst completing an oil cha he the genius’s at a local KTM dealer did the front screen filter up so tight I couldn’t undo it with a full breaker bar extension. Granted the vibration of the bike has probably made it worse over time but **** me it’s a pain in the arse! Drill out? Guess it’s my only option. Ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Impact driver. Have a new filter screen ready, not only might the bolt round off, but it was probably tightened so much because it was leaking, and needs a new o-ring to seal properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Impact driver. Have a new filter screen ready, not only might the bolt round off, but it was probably tightened so much because it was leaking, and needs a new o-ring to seal properly.
I tried that, didn’t budge. And it isn’t leaking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not leaking now, because it was tightened beyond normal torque. Tightened to the recommended torque it was probably leaking, hence why it was overtightened.

Heat gun and a bigger extension on the breaker bar.

Anything to avoid drilling.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Someone did the same to my RC8 (c'mon, man the torque value is only like thirteen pounds!) I used an impact wrench with a socket with sharp reverse flutes in it. Worked great. New part in hand and used!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone did the same to my RC8 (c'mon, man the torque value is only like thirteen pounds!) I used an impact wrench with a socket with sharp reverse flutes in it. Worked great. New part in hand and used!
Valuable
Recommendation. Thx, will give it a go.

·
Registered
265 Posts
wow shanski that sucks i have no advice for ya but i would make sure once you get it off that you do your own oil change for now on. dealers can be a major pain depending on the integrity it may have been done on pourpose so you would have to come back to use them to change your oil. hope thing work out for ya

1 - 9 of 9 Posts