KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys.
how accurate is the sight glass? i fixed an oil leak by replacing the copper washer on the drain plug.
i did a complete drain and full top up but noticed that the oil level in the sight glass remains the exact same when hot or cold.

i topped up with 1.25 litres of oil as stated in the manual. i measured it.
i put the motorcycle on a horizontal motorcycle stand, and ran the bike. when i checked it while the motor was cold, the oil level was about 3/4 of the way up, then i ran the bike until the cooling fan came on, re-checked the oil level in the sight glass and it was about half way. then i let the bike cool down, to go wash it, re-checked the oil level in the sight glass and it was still half way(on a cold motor).
bike was on the stand the whole time.
just wondering if anyone would know why? or if its normal or not?
doesn't make much sense to me.

the bike is a KTM 450 EXC 2004 model.

·
Administrator
14,816 Posts
I never got a good explanation of the oil sight glass
other than if you don't see oil, don't start the bike.

On both my RFS bikes I went only by the oil I added
after a full filter/screen change.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah that's what I'm going by too.
Did yours do the same thing?

In the manual it says that the oil level should be 1/4 of the way up when cold(bottom edge of sight glass) and 3/4 of the way up when hot(top edge of sight glass).
just wondering why the oil level stays the same hot and cold?​​ doesn't make sense. shouldn't it expand/thicken?

·
Administrator
14,816 Posts
On my 2000 520 the oil NEVER went past the 1/4 mark
even after a 2 hour hard ride in the desert. It just never did.

The '03 did show a little over half when hot but not the 1/4
cold 3/4 hot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Well I'm glad to know it's not just my bike then.
Next question is, mines showing exactly on the halfway mark when cold...is that too high and should I drain some oil out? Or leave it?

·
Administrator
14,816 Posts
I don't remember how much a full oil replacement
was, but if you put in what the manual states
I'd leave it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I always use the measured(height) amount not the volume amount. Basically just get the oil near the center of the window(with the bike vertical, not leaned over on the kickstand) and you're good. 1/4 up, good. 3/4 up, good.
Same thing with fork oil. It ain't the amount you put in that works, it's the height of that oil that works.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sight Glass

I have been paying attention to mine since reading this thread--mine does not seem to be fluctuating at all. I think your good.:yes:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
On the high pressure lubrication bikes, the oil will be sucked from the sump and up into the head, so the sight glass level will go down. On non-high pressure lubricated machines, the oil height shouldn't be effected because the oil isn't being sucked out of the sump at a high volume, just enough to lubricate the valve train.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok cool.
Well im glad Yeah mine isn't the only 1 that the oil level doesn't rise for.
My oil levels the same, spot on right in the middle.
What oil you using just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oil sight glass

Castrol Power RS- 4T Synthetic High Performance

Don't know much about it--what the local KTM dealer recommended.

·
Administrator
14,816 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would guess that the engine and filter are holding on to some of the oil when you are checking it warm. It might take a little time for the oil to settle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys I just did a service on my 2011 ktm 250 sx-f now the bike was straight up when I added the oil and when I turn on the bike the glass slight is completely empty is this normal or should it have some in the glass please let me know thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
When motor is off and bike is standing upright oil should be in the middle of the window.
When its running, you should be able to see the oil circulating.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts