Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My duke has been having stalling troubles since i bought it at 8800kms... It's a 2008 with an fmf apex pipe with akrapovic fuel map. i love it, but it treats me worst than my girlfriend does. It's hard to describe when it happens exactly, cause it's very inconsistent.

-Only happens when the clutch is disengaged.
-Only happens when throttling out of idle.
-Especially prone to stalling while the bike is coasting... ie: while approaching a right hand turn, or a red light that is about to turn green, or while riding in backed up traffic. Less prone while accelerating from a complete stop. Keeping it in neutral at stop lights seems to prevent it.

I've done the idle reset procedure. I've done the throttle calibration several times. It's been into my local dealer several times. The first time it went in, it had reset itself to the stock map (anyone seen this before?), so the dealer loaded the akra map back on. The 2nd time I went in, there were low voltage errors, so I replaced the battery. The 3rd time it went in, there were no error codes so the guy told me to check the valve clearances. The valve clearances were fine. I'm about to check the fuel pump sock for clogging of any kind. Also, the guy told me stop using Shell gas.

I'm at the end of my rope here. I've had to adjust my riding to avoid stalling. At slow speeds, I always have to downshift to 1st gear (instead of feathering out of 2nd) making for a jerky trip. I always have to roll the throttle: make sure it's not going to stall: THEN let clutch out.

An otherwise amazing bike that is very stressful / less safe to ride!

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I checked the fuel pump filter & it was clean as could be... The FI would have detected any hiccups from the fuel pump, right? There were no error codes at all...
Still there might be some unnoticable clogg in the injector:
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?117817-690-peeps-clean-your-injectors

EDIT: Otherwise I would take a look at the FMF pipe as there should be a inside baffle mounted in the front of the FMF can to be able to produce decent back pressure. Without it the bike might be leaning out too much. (Even heard of baffles that released from the weldings and traveled trough the can)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?117817-690-peeps-clean-your-injectors

EDIT: Otherwise I would take a look at the FMF pipe as there should be a inside baffle mounted in the front of the FMF can to be able to produce decent back pressure. Without it the bike might be leaning out too much. (Even heard of baffles that released from the weldings and traveled trough the can)
Thanks, I will try cleaning the injector tonight. Had a look at it when doing the valves but didn't notice any clog. If that doesn't work, I'll check for the baffle.

Will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Just a thought, but they discontinued the FMF pipe for the Duke for a reason. With the stock pipe and the '10 Duke map it might run fine, as does my stock '10 Duke.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

OK, I cleaned the injector with some acetone & compressed air... No luck, still stalling. I have the apex exhaust off now & it looks like an empty can... Can't see any sort of baffle or anything. (The previous owner installed it, so I don't know what it looked like at first)... I can post pictures tomorrow if necessary.

Just a thought, but they discontinued the FMF pipe for the Duke for a reason. With the stock pipe and the '10 Duke map it might run fine, as does my stock '10 Duke.
Really, discontinued? I could put the stock pipe back on, but I would really miss the extra horses, and the stock duke sounds like a lawnmower in my humble opinion.

Thanks for your help. Will keep you up to date.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Really, discontinued? I could put the stock pipe back on, but I would really miss the extra horses, and the stock duke sounds like a lawnmower in my humble opinion.
Yeah, I think there was a little too much problems with stalling because it´s a little bit too open, certainly without the baffle inserted. -How does your Duke sound anyway? Complaints from the neighbours by any chance(or not yet)?

Then I would seek up a tuner to disable the O2(and SAS) sensors to run on high fuel maps only. Or DIY with TuneECU, see separate thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I think there was a little too much problems with stalling because it´s a little bit too open, certainly without the baffle inserted. -How does your Duke sound anyway? Complaints from the neighbours by any chance(or not yet)?

Then I would seek up a tuner to disable the O2(and SAS) sensors to run on high fuel maps only. Or DIY with TuneECU, see separate thread.
This is what the fmf apex exhaust looked like when I took it off:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112116015340410749649/KTMDuke690FMFApexExhaust?authkey=Gv1sRgCNzQ45HPiPXZ5gE

Not much there. Can't believe people pay what they do for these things. What does the baffle look like? Could I weld a custom one in there?

No complaints from the neighbours yet, but yeah, my duke is loud. It's too loud in urban areas... But it's great in the twisties & it sounds amazing while idling...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am having the EXACT problem with my duke. It has the FMF pipe aswell. It only stalls when i'm throttling from a stop. It's as if the throttle handle was designed to shut the motor off as soon as it is turned. This is VERY annoying and is making me wonder if my motor is running lean which is bad. Any solutions or ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's as if the throttle handle was designed to shut the motor off as soon as it is turned. This is VERY annoying and is making me wonder if my motor is running lean which is bad. Any solutions or ideas?
That's a really good way of describing it. Incredibly frustrating. Did you own the bike before the apex pipe was put on? Any stalling with the stock exhaust on it?

A lot have people have been suggesting that the FMF Apex doesn't provide sufficient back pressure which can cause the motor to run lean. So last night, I fitted a custom washer ring between the pipe & the FMF Exhaust to constrict the air flow a little bit. I will have to give it a few good test rides to see if it helped at all... Will let you know how it goes.

In the meantime I would suggest contacting FMF & prodding them about this. We need to be raising hell about an 800 dollar exhaust "system" that causes our bikes to stall.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is what the fmf apex exhaust looked like when I took it off:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112116015340410749649/KTMDuke690FMFApexExhaust?authkey=Gv1sRgCNzQ45HPiPXZ5gE

Not much there. Can't believe people pay what they do for these things. What does the baffle look like? Could I weld a custom one in there?

No complaints from the neighbours yet, but yeah, my duke is loud. It's too loud in urban areas... But it's great in the twisties & it sounds amazing while idling...
Sure looks too open (too little back pressure) causing the stalling problem. Had the same with my LeoVince, but with correct (akra) mapping and db killer fitted (wanted to do that anyway because it was too loud without it) no problems anymore and a fine running bike.

Fitting a db killer in your system should help, see if you can get the mixture a little richer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sure looks too open (too little back pressure) causing the stalling problem. Had the same with my LeoVince, but with correct (akra) mapping and db killer fitted (wanted to do that anyway because it was too loud without it) no problems anymore and a fine running bike.

Fitting a db killer in your system should help, see if you can get the mixture a little richer.
I contacted FMF & they're sending me the "quiet insert" (db killer), in hopes that it will help with the back pressure. Midwestrider, do you have the quiet insert installed in your bike?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I contacted FMF & they're sending me the "quiet insert" (db killer), in hopes that it will help with the back pressure. Midwestrider, do you have the quiet insert installed in your bike?
I do not have the insert. She is wide open and loud. I like it that way :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 790 Duke 2020 after having owned a 2019. The 2019 had no issues, but the 2020 would stall out constantly in tons of different situations. I ended up having KTM buy back my bike. Might be the only option given one doesn't buy secondhand. If anyone has questions: [email protected]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.