KTM Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure a bunch of y'all have some other pretty cool motorsport interests. What else do you enjoy other than motorcycles?

I always joke if it has an engine I love it. Pretty true...two wheels, four wheels, a hull, on road, off road....love it all.

Cars have always held a big part of my heart. Definitely love/hate though. I'm drawn to drifting because it allows you to be creative and aggressive. Amazing feeling getting to know how a car feels at the extremes. But cars areally so damn expensive to modify and a pain in the *** to fix hah. There's the hate part. My track GTO rarely gets used and is the most expensive money pit I own. It lives on the track or the garage. Sometimes on the street, but not after I bent the coilover at the last drift event.

Then there is offroading where you constantly break stuff. Just part of the game. I used to think side by sides were dumb until my fiancé bought one. Holy **** they are incredibly capable. We took it to the motocross track and I was impressed with the suspension's ability to soak up so much even at high speed. Fascinating. Minus getting stuck in mud, navigating trails also has it's own challenges.

A recent, within the last few years at least, and also fascinating endeavor has been stand up jet skis. Never felt so sore from just riding something for the first time. Started running buoys this year and almost thinking about racing. They are similar to riding a motorcycle, but you can be so much more aggressive. A high side can hurt you, but not like on a bike. Incredible workout for your mind and body. I'd love to try some wave riding too.

I often try to ask myself which motorsport I like more and it's hard to say. Along with motorcycles they all have their pros and cons.

Attachments

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
I am also into cars, but I like bikes more. I do love my v8's. So many more people are into cars over here than bikes, which might be why I prefer bikes. Very hard and expensive to get into car motorsports where as bikes are a bit easier. I have raced mx, flat track and gp. I would like to have a go at motard.
I don't race anymore, under the thumb from the wife as I was made to give up with my 2 young children.
As for hobbies, fishing, water ski and I do like a nice cold beer.:+1:

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
Love off road Jeep/Bronco trips. Might do the Rubicon
one day.:wink2:
I do a lot of off shore fishing and our boat (partnership) has
twin Cummins diesels. Love changing the oil on it (8 gallons between
the both).
Just got back into flying after a 15 year hiatus (kids). Looking at a
Cessna 182 that has 4 other partners.

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
I had R/C when I was growing up, I am sure
the electronics are much better now.

Flying is kind of an expensive hobby/sport but
I do a lot of fishing in Mexico, and a 2 hour flight
is equal to a 13 hour drive down there.:smile2:
Plus no border wait.:grin2:

Just have to show some photos of my first check out flight to Mexico in 15 years.
Gps route, cabin view and this granite face called the "Great Bull".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The electric RC helis are where it's at these days. Not the quad copters, but the actual helicopters with pitch and such. You can geek out on those like no tomorrow. I learned on a nitro one many years ago, sketchy compared to today's stuff.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Engines!!!!!

This one is not mine but belongs to a guy named Mike or "Junkologist". I have the exact same one. I only know of a handful of these engines.

These are two of my bow saws. I have over 30 old chainsaws, bowsaws and two mans.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Love off road ...
I do a lot of off shore fishing...
Looking at a Cessna 182 ....
Seems we have a fair bit in common except living in different hemispheres.

I have a Landrover Defender, love the offroading stuff as well.
Have a Stabicraft 589 boat, love eating Tuna
Used to own a Cessna 182 when I lived in Botswana, I miss it.

As for other motorsport hobbies.
I dont have a helicopter, but that would be grouse.
Hovercraft would be awesome as well.
Im considering an electric bicycle for commuting to work. Am i insane?

·
Full Throttle
6,176 Posts
Im considering an electric bicycle for commuting to work. Am i insane?
Good idea if you can.
I worked in melbourne area a lot in 2007 , traveling the M80 from geelong
way.
Very early in the morning would look at the line of traffic heading towards the city on those main roads that were underneath the M80. Figured at the time i was very lucky.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good idea if you can.
way.
Very early in the morning would look at the line of traffic heading towards the city on those main roads that were underneath the M80. Figured at the time i was very lucky.
Yeah the traffic jams in Melbourne now sucks. Geelong road like others is gridlocked. The city growth is phenomenal, yet not enough has been put into vehicle infrastructure. I guess its the same everywhere else.
However, Melbourne does have great bicycle paths and if your lucky enough to live on the beach side, then you can ride into town without a traffic light or registration fees. I'll save the Ktm for what its best for.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Good idea if you can.
way.
As of about 2 year ago, In qld here we can legally lane split (within certain parameters). It's great, get through the city in no time, you do get the odd ticked off cager that wants to open they're door on you, or yell or winge, but there is nothing they can do about it, rules are rules.
No need for electric pushy here:grin2:

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
I like watching rally races on Speed TV, those Finns are nuts @Frankenschwinn

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
I like watching it as well. Did muck around with rally a little bit when I was a teen, but had no skill though so stuck to bikes.
My brother in law can drift. Always wanted him to take up rallying. He would've been good.
Who's winning rally at the moment.
Lobe still?

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
Loeb is now a team owner.

I've noticed a few moto racers going to 4 wheel racing
after they retire. Hmmmm that give me hope.:wink2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts