KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2008 530 EXC-r (many thanks to this forum for help with my clutch and sprocket issues). I have a new problem. When I'm riding trails slow in the North Carolina heat, after about 30 minutes or so my bike will start to lose power and eventually stall if I dip the rpms too low. It will usually start back up, but it definitely takes some coercing. If I just let the bike sit for a while, it starts right up no problem and runs great again.

All signs point to overheating, no? The reason I'm unsure is that all the other overheating problems I've read about involve the radiator fluid boiling over. That has not happened on my bike. I checked the fluid level and it looks good.

Any thoughts on this problem? Any advice on how to fix it?

Thanks,
Mike.

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
Two things first. (sorry if you have mentioned this already, I post a lot).

What is modified from stock?

Did you adjust the mixture (rich/lean) for the mods?

Trail rider or racer? (I guess that's 3 things).:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think anything major was modified from stock. It has an after market tail pipe, I put a Tusk clutch in it, and it has a 13/54 (I think) sprocket ratio -- geared for trails.

I didn't adjust the mixture, but it's a 4-stroke, there's no rich/lean adjustment to do... is there?

I ride around the neighborhood and on trails. I noticed the loss of power, stalling, backfiring when riding trails, and when taking an Experienced Rider Course (all riding drills in a parking lot on a hot day in 1st and 2nd gear) at the local community college.

Thanks for your help!
Mike.

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
Easiest first check is pull the spark plug and
see how it looks.

If the coolant is Evans or Engine Ice, you may not boil
over but still can be over heating.

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, has anyone had problems with their 2016 exc350f overheating? riding fast tracks its fine but when i get into the technical single tracks, i know its lower gears and working harder but it will over heat very quickly comparing to other ktm's, husqys, and suzuki race bred bikes i was riding with and none of them were over heating only my 350, i took it back to the dealer and they couldn't find any air locks at all but still over heated while testing after they checked. anyone had this problem or know what could be wrong so i can tell the dealer what i want to do so they don't try get out of it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
On the tight single track gotta keep it moving so there is sufficient air flow.
If you get stuck or have to stop then shut the bike off.
You can check to make sure sufficient fluid level, also change regular coolant to engine ice, and make sure no leaks in the system.
But in the end it will overheat if sitting at idle for long it needs to keep moving quickly even in the tight/gnarly single track.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 350XCF was overheating on single track. I changed the coolant to engine ice and installed a fan. No more boil overs and Temps stay a bit more manageable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
2 dealer oil changes in. Everything working great.

Last two times I've been on it, once in the Pine Barrens and now out on the street, when I stop a bunch of steam coming up from the the coolant overflow hitting the exhaust. Today I went maybe two miles just to run it since it's been sitting for 2 weeks.

The overflow seems excessive. puddle on the ground and even 5 drops of oil.

Suggestions?

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Is the bike still under warranty?
If not, I would start with your radiator cap. It's unusual that a bike that young would have a buggered cap, but it is the first point to go to if you are overflowing.
If it is still under warranty take it back to the dealer.

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Just as DW said I'd go with your warranty. Coolant is one thing, but oil leaking on a new bike not acceptable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I topped off the radiator. The cap was not on well. I can ride it no problem, but when I stop for 20 seconds it will bubble over. I start to move and it stops immediately.

I don't think the fan is going on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is this a usa or euro spec bike?

I'll bet Baja will see this and he'll have squared away with a quickness.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.

I bought the bike in the US.

I'm having an overheating issue. I think it's just the fan is not turning on. It's under warranty, but I wanted to see if I could fix it. I want to ride this weekend not bring it into the shop.

·
Full Throttle
5,499 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
11 Participants
JJ2000
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing