KTM Forums banner

Overheating-Offroad

24K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  jagresham 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2008 530 EXC-r (many thanks to this forum for help with my clutch and sprocket issues). I have a new problem. When I'm riding trails slow in the North Carolina heat, after about 30 minutes or so my bike will start to lose power and eventually stall if I dip the rpms too low. It will usually start back up, but it definitely takes some coercing. If I just let the bike sit for a while, it starts right up no problem and runs great again.

All signs point to overheating, no? The reason I'm unsure is that all the other overheating problems I've read about involve the radiator fluid boiling over. That has not happened on my bike. I checked the fluid level and it looks good.

Any thoughts on this problem? Any advice on how to fix it?

Thanks,
Mike.

#30 ·
That impeller in the link will fit. They never changed them on the rfs engines, they were all the same.
Battery and fan would be the best option though, you can buy complete set ups including charge type stator through trail tech, but it's big dollars.
Some of those cheap welded up aftermarket radiators flow better than the original ones.
Are you running a thermostat? Ever considered running a cooler one if it's an option, not sure if removing it would make a difference. I never really thought removing made them run cooler.

#34 ·
It's one of those age old arguments in the mechanical industry. I think if you were to have a thermo fan you would definitely be best to have a thermostat. The radiator is the only spot where the coolant gets cooled. With a thermostat in it slows the flow to allow the radiator to cool it down more, if it's flowing to fast you end up with coolant hardly being cooled at all, but in saying that if you don't have sufficient air flowing through the radiator than it's probably better to get the coolant flowing quicker. It's an argument I could never give a definitive answer to.

#35 ·
Might be worth looking into an aftermarket universal fan hooked up to a lipo style battery, along with a thermostat. I would imagine there wouldn't be much issue at that point. However, in the current configuration with no thermo and no fan I think I may be better off leaving well enough alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.