KTM Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The series is grea, but this thread is about some roads I found. Live in Chicago and have family in Rolla mo, so buying them dinner is still cheaper than a motel. I started on 72 to Salem where I picked up 19s rode that to 106 making sure to try every side road along the way. Once on 106 I threw my map away and started playin, county kk gets an a+, 72s down there is a nice challenge, 24 has its moments. Last month was the Smokey mtns, the ozarks Could be a great destination but it doesn’t have the same feel if you know what I mean. I didn’t see any other sport bikes and the gas stops were harleys and pick ups, oh well. I can retire fall 2021 and am escaping illinois taxes For good. So far smokey mountains are the most inviting.

where would you live if you could and if you’re already there tell the rest of us.

·
Super Moderator
1,081 Posts
Once you join the land of the retired the motorcyclist in you will ramp up even more Steve. I am sure The Ozark Mountain Daredevils could change your mind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are some good roads in the Ozarks, I've wandered out that way a few times. If you like winding country roads with some dirt thrown in, and derelict old farmhouses... the Ozarks can ne heavan on two wheels.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Good luck on that planned exodus from the windy city Steve.
Been on some ok twisty stuff in AR, it's faster than the Smoky's where the posted speed signs get down to 10 for some corners (which I like). Significant thing remembered from AR is getting hit by LARGE hail while riding (thought a shoulder was broken). Ducked under a bridge til it passed, watched baseball size ice come down!
One thing to consider when looking for a place to move to is of course weather but bugs should be on that list too. N. GA (Chattahoochee national forest) surprised us all with the total lack of biting insects. Sit outside at night and nuthin cept for fireflies... can't explain that at all? Mild winters, pleasant people, great roads, low tax rate and not bad house prices tho airBNB speculation is driving up prices closer to Atlanta. Not a bad place if you aren't addicted to a coastline (I am).

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never grew up with a coastline so can reserve those for vacations, need low taxes, fun roads, and my wife has decided she needs a couple horses, so not to be out done by her kid sister.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steve, I guess you won't have to trade the SDR for a SDGT or XR after all, since you're moving to the twisties! I live in the NW burbs of Chi town, so I still need a sport tourer. SDGT for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts