KTM Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,990 Posts
I would say give them a chance to get the dyno results from whoever they're working with and compare them to what's out there. The unit looks to be as pricey as a PCV, so maybe it can outperform one? I think any piggyback will work as well as the dyno operator who's setting up the map.
This is pre loaded with the map though? But for a bike they've never seen.

So the question is, have they just matched the connector and said "give it 15% more fuel at all rpm"?

Now the thing is, my mate had both their fuelling unit and their QS on his 390, both worked really well, so I'm not against their products.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'm just saying give them a chance to set up a 1290 and come up with something, as they said they are in the process of. If they have done it well or other KTMs, no reason it shouldn't work.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hammerhead, the PC5 is a tuneing tool. It’s designer to let a tuner modify the fuel map ( and only the fuel map). Unless I have mis read it, this product is designed to replace an ECU reflash. I dont belive it is designed to allow you to edit the ECU. So pretty much, you get what they provide. From the test runs they have posted, it would seem that they rewrite the rev limiter, and most likely, change the timing slightly. ( more RPMs normally require more advance). And hopefully, it also uses a different throttle by wire, which appears to be the way KTM detunes the GT and SA. You can put a PC5 on a GT, and no matter what you do to the PC5, you will not change he GT falling on its face at 9500 rpms.

If they wrote the software for a 1290, the only way that would be possible is with a number of Dyno runs. If I’m reading between the lines right, they have never even seen a Super Duke, let alone tested their product on one.

and I think a few things are important that have not been addressed. Does this product just over write everything? Like do the modes still fuction, or are they now all “sport”. I think it would be very cool if they gave you their “race” tune in the sport mode then their “ high performance” tune in the Street mode, but I don’t think that is how it works. I believe you have to go to a different map to change preformance levels. I suspect OP doesn't know exactly how this works, he is just a sales guy, and he has to find out from the hacker types. But why the big lag? I would think the hacker have email. They would certainly have the Dyno run in electronic

right now, to me at least, his statement that they wouldn’t release a product until it’s fully tested can’t be true if they don’t have test results on hand

·
Registered
235 Posts
From I read on their website it appears to be another piggyback module. But I may have mis-read/misinterpreted.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
From I read on their website it appears to be another piggyback module. But I may have mis-read/misinterpreted.
And tuneable, just like any other piggyback module. Go with the out-of-the-box map , or have one made.

Nothing about tuning on the fly as with PCV+Auto Tune.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I understand that it is a add on. But it does much more then a PC5. I can play with a PC5 all day, and it will never raise my rev limiter.
As far as being “tuneable”. From what I see, it does not meet my definition of “tuneable”. If you have a PC5 installed, you can go to about anyone that has a M/C Dyno, and they can tune your bike in real time. Watched it done a few times. Make a pull the use the software to show the results. They can display as a percentage of the desired F/A ratio. Maybe it’s 13% high here and 10% low there. Correct it. Make another run. Display the results. Make more corrections, and replete. An hour and a half later, after maybe half a dozen runs, they have a custom fuel map for your bike.

this product does not seem to have that ability. And I think it’s a good bet that no one in the US has the software to copy the map, edit the map, then load the new map. Yes you can change maps. But you can not spend a couple hours with a tuner at the Dyno and ride home with a “Dyno tuned” bike. And it appears that they do not actually have a 1290 so it would be almost impossible for them to give you a custom map.

the reason one can not just make a Dyno run, and adjust the fuel map and be done is that different factors effect your actual fuel out put. Tuners can make a real good guess at what to change, but they have to make the changes and do another pull to see if they are right. It’s really cool to watch in action because the tuning software display a screen of values and color codes what great and what needs work. Well that software is unique to power commander. You can’t use it to edit any other add on. I don’t see anything like it coming for this product any time soon. So you have to get your changes made by someone back in India. To me, that is not “tuneable”

·
Registered
145 Posts
Troppo are you sure? Of course there are no doubt lots of “Hill Top” shops, the one I checked out seemed to only deal with racing hondas

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah! What ever that means.

so does that mean they are testing this product on 1290s?

seeing as how powertronic seems unable or unwilling to give information on this product, it might be nice to find out from someone

·
Full Throttle
5,926 Posts
We currently support the Superduke, Superduke and the Superduke R might share the same connector types

Hi powers, i bet your met with opposition on all the forums.
Technically we are supposed to disable your threads and send you the vendors link, but seeing as your been rather bold and open i guess no one wanted to do that.

i see your product is cheaper than most..I checked it out....
Spark mod plus fuel , Editable at home via laptop?
Does your software covert other brands flash data, thats a big one for us`?

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
You know posting this here could be very very good for you or could be very very bad for you. Most of us here also post in other forums. Most of us know lots of other KTM riders. The answers you give here will effect you long after this thread disappears into the old posts. Everytime a new person joins and asked what my best dollar for dollar and on, I’m sure someone will mention the results of this thread. IMHO straight truthfully answers and real test results will have a big effect on your sales
Agreed 100%. I am still blown away that for the amount of effort they've put into R&D, marketing and now posting here that they wouldn't provide a couple "tokens of appreciation" or "demos" to some real life testers for the peanuts it costs in the grand scheme of things.

You're right though. Nobody in their sober mind is going to drop $500 (Canadian monies) on something they hope is going to work. I'm sure the product works fine on a 390 Duke but how it compares to a Power Commander on a 690 or 1290 will continue to be a mystery as nobody is going to want to be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Cors187, are you reading something I’m not? There is nothing said here or on their web site about being editable on a home PC. In fact nothing that sz the end user, or a pro tuner, can edit the maps. In fact the description for the 1290 is exactly the same as the 390. Right up to the 15,000 rpm rev limit. It only sz you can download maps. Like maps created by someone else. And it looks like that someone else has to be in India and from what has been said here, someone that dosent have a 1290 to test on.

·
Full Throttle
5,926 Posts
hi cw,
i only read a little , was hoping the guy would come up with more data rather than me reading.
DESCRIPTION
PowerTRONIC is the most advanced full feature Piggyback ECU for motorcycles currently available worldwide. Designed to be universally adaptable, the PowerTRONIC ECU plugs in within minutes delivering improved performance through race-engineered, user adjustable fuel and ignition mapping.

·
Full Throttle
5,926 Posts
PowerTRONIC is the most advanced full feature Piggyback ECU for motorcycles currently available worldwide.
someone needs to throw this shtt out.
budget freindly, feature packed.............. but in all honesty i thought powertronics was an old brand, this is just a relaunch, but obviously they be talking to much candy to take serious.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts