KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding yesterday two up, load setting set as such. On ride down, light came on regards to preload adjustment, single rider started flashing. Shut bike off, no luck getting it back to two riders. Reset to single rider, but preload adjustment red light is still on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Weird... I did have the preload adjuster on my GT fail but that was attributed to me not knowing that the electronic adjusters should be adjusted with me off the bike, not sitting on it. However, that was a lot different than your experience. It is a long shot but I have to ask, how old is the battery. It seems like weird or "funny" problems is often the result of a weak battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check today after work, can't remember if I tried it while sitting on the bike or not. Bike is a 19, about 3 months old with approx. 3000 miles. I put trickle charger on it last night thinking the same thing, no changes

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was not aware of that. Anyone else having this issue while adjusting the load while sitting on the bike?
The bike is still relatively new to me but I thought I had changed the load settings while on the bike at a stop plenty of times before and not had the Preload Adjuster warning light not come on. There’s no way to clear the warning without having to visit the dealer, so I’m hoping this is not the case and the bike is not that temperamental just in case I forget while doing this. My Preload Adjuster light is going off too but my situation is a bit more complex and self inflicted, since i installed a Mizu Lowering Kit which is just a machined spring collar that allows the spring to sit lower around the shock housing thereby lowering the seat height. I raised my forks in the triples too to try and keep everything relative and retain the original attitude with the rake and trail but it’s not working properly and the bike cannot seem to adjust for the shorter Shock stroke and lesser preload, so the bike bucks and pogos violently so I’m going to remove the lowering collar and restore the fork tube height back to my original settings. It had been a truly frustrating process and I’m wishing I never I messed with it in the first place.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Loski, if you check your owner's manual it will tell you that the preload adjuster is to be used with the rider off the bike. It'll work for a while but mine failed after a while. As for the handling issues you've faced... In my area there are a couple of suspension guys that are really good. Have you tried taking the bike to a suspension guy? They may be able to resolve your issues. I think it's worth a look.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My pre-load adjuster failed when my ‘16 SDGT was 1-2 months old.
Warning came on the screen and I was not able to adjust it, but the bike was still rideable, just couldn’t change the setting I had it on at the time of failure.

Mine also failed randomly, not while trying change the pre-load.

Set up an appointment with the dealer for a time they were able to actually work on it.
Something in the electric portion of the unit failed.
KTM covered it under warranty even though it technically is not a warranty item.
However, the dealer had to take the unit off, ship it to KTM North America for repair, and then re-install once they got it back.
After they got it back it still wasn’t working and they thought they might have to send it back again.
But ended up being a software update that the dealer didn’t have and KTM had to send it to them to load it into the bike (what I was told).

Whole process took 41 days.
Was the closest I have ever come to pursuing a lemon law claim, and would have had they needed to send the shock back.
But once it was fixed, had no more issues with the bike and provided lots of enjoyment and big grins.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I see PC1978 had an electronic problem with his. My failure was definitively mechanical fwiw.
It technically could have been mechanical, since I assume there are mechanical components in the control box.
I didn’t delve into the details with them.

But from my understanding the failure was in the black plastic box attached to the shock that controls the pre-load/damping.
They sent the whole unit to KTM for repair, but I don’t actually know what had to be repaired on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
DG Rig, man that’s really good to know! No wonder my preload adjuster light keeps going off?!?! I’ve been doing wrong this whole time 😳 Here I was thinking it was the lowering collar I had the tech install.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Mine hasn't ever failed (I often skip from 1rider to 1+lgge to 2up), but I noticed on one ride I didn't set it properly (I think I was sitting on the bike engine running when I decided to stiffen the spring) - the dash indicator kept blinking while I was riding up the road and eventually settled back onto rider only. After I got home and switched off.....I tried again and it worked fine - I set the preload with motor stopped ign on, then started the motor while not sitting on the bike. Seems fiddly but that may be the cause of the issue.

Check the owners manual just to be sure..... (y) ( I can't remember if the ign needs to be turned off after setting the change or if it needs the engine to be started as I haven't ridden much lately.....).

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Best to check the manual for the procedure.... I have to rush off for a blood test...... I'm going to be an armchair rider for a few months after surgery on Thursday, so I hope you guys find the fix soon.

(y)

·
Registered
124 Posts
No requirement to be off the bike to change load parameters. Just need to have the bike running and stationary during the change. If you try to make a change to the load setting at say a red light, and the change doesn’t have the time to complete before you take off then you’ll get the flashing load symbol on the dash.

Section from the owner’s manual:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don’t want to start a new thread for this but when it comes to turning the motorcycle off are you guys just pressing the race key button if the bike is running or are you pressing the engine cut off switch then the race key? Also I just checked the manual and it states that the motorcycle just needs to be stationery when changing the load settings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don’t want to start a new thread for this but when it comes to turning the motorcycle off are you guys just pressing the race key button if the bike is running or are you pressing the engine cut off switch then the race key? Also I just checked the manual and it states that the motorcycle just needs to be stationery when changing the load settings.
I use the red shut off button to stop the bike. As for the load setting, I have only set it with bike running stationary. As of now, bike will still not switch off of single rider to any other option. ☹👎

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine too. Anyone know if a way to clear the code or turn off the preload adjuster warning without having to go to the dealer?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts