KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 400 exc and the previous owner removed the e starter so i just got a new starter motor but there is a plate covering that hole. I removed the bolt that looks like I thought the it holds the cover plate but it doesn't come out. Anybody know about this?
Also on the e start wire connects where?

Also it only shifts up to 4th which mayby they where just hitting tight trails and didn't need them? But the clutch fluid is full and clear.

Thanks,

Ohenry

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Hello and welcome. You may want to source a factory shop service manual for your bike before starting this work. Search here on forum for suggestions to source a proper shop manual. This would show you where to look for starter wiring(if any) . Some of those engine cases were not fitted for e start. Hopefully yours has not been fitted with one of those engines or cases. The casting did not have a drilled bore for starter on some non e start models. They had a blank where starter should live. Your gearbox may have issues, but they likely would not be related to clutch malfunction. Check for battery and any wiring remaining on the bike to determine if it is possible to install estart

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
I have a 2001 400 exc and the previous owner removed the e starter so i just got a new starter motor but there is a plate covering that hole. I removed the bolt that looks like I thought the it holds the cover plate but it doesn't come out. Anybody know about this?
Also on the e start wire connects where?

Also it only shifts up to 4th which mayby they where just hitting tight trails and didn't need them? But the clutch fluid is full and clear.

Thanks,

Ohenry
If you go to the "Bike Tips and Tricks" category you will find a thread re KTM Manuals. Open that one and click the links and you will find your manual. Some are free, some you pay a small fee for.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,536 Posts
If it only shifts up to 4th, you've been stiffed mate. She ain't no exc engine. You got an sx engine. That's why there's no e-start either. That plugs got an oring on it and takes a bit to pop it out, usually the easiest way is to remove the clutch cover and smack it out from there.
My bet is you will find no idler or ring gear in there for the e-start either. If that is the case, you definitely have an sx engine.

Reactions: CaptBanana

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
You can confirm what bike you have by checking the VIN#. You find a decoder in the "Bike Tips and Tricks" category. If you struggle you can also give us the VIN# and I can tell you what bike model/type you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it only shifts up to 4th, you've been stiffed mate. She ain't no exc engine. You got an sx engine. That's why there's no e-start either. That plugs got an oring on it and takes a bit to pop it out, usually the easiest way is to remove the clutch cover and smack it out from there.
My bet is you will find no idler or ring gear in there for the e-start either. If that is the case, you definitely have an sx engine.
You can confirm what bike you have by checking the VIN#. You find a decoder in the "Bike Tips and Tricks" category. If you struggle you can also give us the VIN# and I can tell you what bike model/type you have.
t
The MSO and Vin show 2001 400 Exc but the motor says 595*00999 which I could not see.

Thanks!

Blake

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
The member Donald24 has same motor as you (with same motor number...) See his post in same forum!

Or is he the ex owner of the bike?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The member Donald24 has same motor as you (with same motor number...) See his post in same forum!

Or is he the ex owner of the bike?
No this one is not his. But I figured it out last night that 2 owners ago they put in a 400 SX motor in my EXC from 2000!
My MSO says it is supposed to be engine model 159506134 and it has 059500999. They put in blinkers brake lights but it runs off the battery which is not ideal but OK. The close ratio gearbox is great on the trails but I will need to add a wide ratio 5th and 6th gear and an e-start. I already have the e-start motor but now I need the start stop buttons, e-start gear.

Thanks,
Blake

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I sure did! I figured it out last night that 2 owners ago they put in a 400 SX motor in my EXC from 2000!
My MSO says it is supposed to be engine model 159506134 and it has 059500999. They put in blinkers brake lights but it runs off the battery which is not ideal but OK. The close ratio gearbox is great on the trails but I will need to add a wide ratio 5th and 6th gear and an e-start. I already have the e-start motor but now I need the start stop buttons, e-start gear.

Thanks,
Blake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts