KTM Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the KTM forum.
But if anyone in the area is interested.
The dealership has the KTM franchise in Raleigh also (and Ducati and Indian) , if that makes it any more acceptable.

I may go check it out on Friday. Don’t know what time I can make it so not sure if I’ll get a ride. Dealership Facebook page says to RSVP to secure a spot.

Do want to ride the 2020 S1000RR though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I went up there today and got to ride a couple of bikes. Could have rode more if I was there longer, but had a few errands to run.
They had a good crowd but no extra waiting, could get right into the next group both times. Weather is nicer tomorrow and it’s Saturday so I imagine it will be much busier.
BMW reps were great, very helpful and excited to tell you about the bikes and let you ride.

I rode the S1000RR and the R1250R (wanted the RS but it was taken so I got the naked version).

Didn’t get a chance to really let it rip on the RR (but we already know it will haul azz) did get a few good twisties in at decent speed/lean. I’ve never owned a sport bike so can’t really compare to anything else but it handled great. The quickshifter is butter smooth compared to the SDGT (but its an in-line 4).

The R1250R feels more refined than the SDGT, seems more like a “gentleman’s” torquey bike. Handles well, but I like the sportier feel of the GT handling and the rawness.
Didn’t personally like the feel of weight of the engine sticking out.
The quickshifter was definitely clunkier than the RR due to the nature of the engine. Felt similar to the GT. Shifting with the clutch was touchier than the GT and have to be much smoother with your clutch hand or it pops right into gear and downshifts are noticeably touchier than the GT. I can bang down through the gears on the GT with ease coming up to a stop, had to concentrate more on gently slipping the clutch so it didn’t buck on the BMW.

On both rides I was right behind the leader. On the R1250R he blasted off on a straight (he was on a R1250GS). I wasn’t looking at the tach (and not used to the red line) and bounced it off the rev limiter in 3rd and 4th. Got up to 105 mph before he backed off.
It has good torque pull, but IMO can’t touch the KTM 1290. The GT just feels like it pulls much harder/wilder.
This is just seat of the pants observation and I’m sure is probably off/exaggerated, but that pull was similar to what I do when passing several cars. Felt like I would have been at 120-130 on the GT in that scenario/time. I had it WOT and just didn’t feel the same.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts