KTM Forums banner

Rangermans Rides...

216K views 1K replies 25 participants last post by  Rangerman 
#1 · (Edited)
I just recently acquired a 92' EXC 300 in really nice condition.
I do not have a manual for it and did not know if it is even possible to buy one? Or get information about it somewhere?
Some simple things that I do not know about are what the mix ratio is for this and what type of two stroke oil is recommended? Also what type/weight of gear oil and how much? What type of radiator fluid and is it 50/50 mix?
Is there a good place to buy used parts online? Can you even get used parts? Can you even get any new parts?
Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.
I am trying to get this up and running and this information along with any other suggestions would help.
Thanks.

Update...
Here is a (very) short video of the first voyage of the finished (complete) 1992 KTM 300EXC that I started with as a project not really knowing what the outcome would be.
It was much better than what I had expected...
Here is a short video of the first ride.

Recent photos...

View attachment 93909

Vintage KTM...

Nuff' Said...

Rangerman

See less See more
5 6
#2 ·
Cheers and welcome to the forum.

I do not have a manual for it and did not know if it is even possible to buy one? Or get information about it somewhere?

That's going to only be something on ebay.

Some simple things that I do not know about are what the mix ratio is for this and what type of two stroke oil is recommended?

I'd start at 32:1 with some non synthetic (Belray or).

Also what type/weight of gear oil and how much?
There is a fill plug and a fill level plug. Add oil until it starts
coming out of the fill level plug. Any regular "non energy conserving"
engine oil works.

What type of radiator fluid and is it 50/50 mix?

I like Coolanol premix.

Is there a good place to buy used parts online? Can you even get used parts? Can you even get any new parts?

With a bike that age, you will need to scour ebay.

Reactions: Bralicea
#3 ·
Thanks for the information bajadog, I appreciate it.
Rangerman

#4 ·
If you get lucky our resident vintage 2 stroke guru will appear and help
you when you have jetting or electrical gremlins (Hookuspookus).

#5 ·
As far as pre-mix, KTM back in the day recommended Dura-lube.
Champion now owns the Dura-lube formula. They make it in air cooled
and water pumper. I run it 50:1 and always Have for about 25 years.

Any good gear oil will work fine, just change it often. I run Rotella
15W-40 in all my bikes with good results. I change it every 10-15
hours.

I've never had any overheating issues with my smokers running 50/50
Prestone. Again keep it clean and full. You probably have a vent plug
on the radiator without the cap. Be sure to take it out when you fill.

Parts cans sometimes be tricky. UFO might have plastic and I've had
other manufactures parts match up as well. Find a good local parts
that can help you out. They can be worth their weight on gold. I've
purchased bearings from my local industrial shop.

Old KTM 2T's will go a long time if taken care of. I rode my 360 for 16
years and 30,000 miles before retiring it. I just hope I can get that
out of my 500!

#6 ·
Thanks for the info, this gives me what I need to get started. The PO thought that he had a manual for it but was not able to find it. That would have been helpful to have since I know very little (except what I have learned from here so far) about this KTM. I had a 71' Penton Six Day 125 when I was a teenager in the early 80's and had alot of fun with it (riding and repairing it). Parts were hard to find for it and I did not have a manual for it either, but it was a one of a kind bike that was worth the extra effort.
Thanks again for the information.:yes:

#7 ·
I had another question(s). Is it necessary to flush the radiator before I put in new coolant and if so how? This EXC has been sitting in a garage for about five years and there is not any coolant in it right now. I was planning on filling with new 50/50 Prestone and draining old gear oil and filling with fresh oil (75W Bel-Ray Gearsaver) and mixing a fresh batch of high octane (93) gas 50:1 with Bel-Ray 2T Mineral Oil.
About draining the gear oil, do I drain that out of the fill level plug while slightly tipping the bike sideways?
Any other suggestions from you more experienced KTM riders would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of trying to locate a manual so I can possibly answer some if not most of these questions for myself, but until then as always any input/info/help is greatly appreciated!:yes:

#8 ·
By the way here is a picture of my 92'EXC.

#9 ·
Nice bike!!!

Think how ahead of the curve it was with inverted forks. Ya I know
factory race bikes had them in '92, but not many production bikes.:yes:

#10 ·
Thanks bajadog.
I had been looking for a KTM for quite sometime and found this one.
I really want to do it right to get this back on its feet (tires) again, so the more helpful information I can gather about it the better.
It looks as though it has been well maintained and it does somehow remind me of that Penton Six Day 125 I had years ago that had KTM stickers on each side of the tank.
All my friends would razz me and say what is a KTM? I thought it was really cool to have a motorcycle that was different and and somewhat unkown at the time and then little by little I started seeing more about KTM's in the dirt bike magazines as they started to become more popular.
Fast forward about 35 years and I'm ready to ride!:thumbup:

#11 ·
Some of the older bikes had a coolant drain plug in the water pump
cover, if not just pull the lower hose off of the engine.

You will have a drain for the engine oil as well. I would change it again
after the first ride also because it has been sitting so long.

Be sure to check the air filter as well, it might fall apart when you
clean it and need to replaced. Does the bike run now? Is there old gas
Still in it? You may need to clean the carburetor, inspect the reeds and
replace the spark.

#12 ·
Thanks for your help Orangeblood,
I looked at the radiator and could not locate a drain plug. Do you mean pull this lower hose here?

Is that it, just drain it? Do I need to flush it out with a hose? Or boiling water?
It seems to be completely is dry inside.

#13 ·
The water pump is on the engine at the other end of that hose. You
want to drain the water at the lowest part of the coolant system. If it
is dry there might be deposits left inside the engine and radiators and
would be wise to flush.

#15 ·
Understood, thanks.:yes:

#16 ·
The first picture is the coolant drain. There is most defiantly a drain
plug on the bottom of the crank case. Lay the bike on the side if your
having trouble finding it. Otherwise I would pull off the clutch cover to
drain, but there has to be a drain plug. Good luck!

And nice bike by the way! I especially like the Penton!

#18 ·
There is a cover with holes in it for extremely wet conditions but I've
never needed to use it. The reeds will not lay flat against the cage and
will start to crack and split when they wear out.

#22 ·
So here is your clutch cover side, #15 is the fill level plug.

This is the ignition cover side, #43 is the transmission drain.

#23 ·
e is your clutch cover side, #15 is the fill level plug.

This is the ignition cover side, #43 is the transmission drain.

Don't you just love schematics:yes:
I really have to find a manual if there is one to be found?
Thanks for the detailed answer to this mystery bajadog!
The gear oil gets changed tonight for sure!
Rangerman

#26 ·
Well I pulled the carb today and am in the process of giving it a thorough cleaning... It looks to be in good shape though.

I have also inspected the radiator and decided to flush it with vinegar and distilled water and refill with fresh fluid... (lots of scaly sediment)

Does anyone know if it possible to repair this front brake master cylinder view window? Or would it be better just to replace the whole unit? I already checked e-bay and there were a few used that would fit for around $60.00 Also does anyone know if I can use a brand new universal front brake assembly or do I have to stay with Magura OEM? It does not matter to me, I would rather use a new one if possible?

#27 ·
You might be able to fit a Brembo front caliper if the
hole pattern and disk offset is the same. They are all
the same from 1996 - 2000 (for 250 - 380 2T).

#28 ·
You might be able to fit a Brembo front caliper if the
hole pattern and disk offset is the same. They are all
the same from 1996 - 2000 (for 250 - 380 2T).

What if the front brake caliper/disk/line is good that is on it now? Can't I just replace the master cylinder and lever assembly only?
I did see generic type (new) master cylinder/levers on e-bay and thought they might work without to much if any modification.
Or just buy a used comparable one from a different year/model KTM?

#29 ·

Opened up the carb and this is what I found!:eek:hmy:

#30 ·

This may seem like a elementary question but does anyone know how to remove the float tab without damaging the retaining spring that it fits through? I have already removed the pin.

#35 ·
Got it out. It was all gunked up with crud which made it stuck.

Gear oil drained and refilled.
Carb cleaned and reassembled.
Next, flush radiator and refill with fresh fluid.
Clean and re-oil air filter.
Then clean tank and fill with fresh fuel/oil mix (50:1)
And see if it starts???:yes:

Reactions: Orangeblood
#36 ·
Wow for being 21(+) years old that carbie does not look that bad.

You may have got a winner!

#37 ·
Yes, I was able to disassemble the carb completely last night and clean it thoroughly. Every nook and cranny. It was really cruddy on the inside and it took awhile to get it clean, that is why I had such a difficult time getting that float needle loose!!! I used carb cleaner, an air hose and a small brass brush and pick. I am hoping that when I flush and fill the radiator and clean out the tank and fill with fresh gas that this will fire up. If it does I still have some repairs and modifications left to do but to me that is half of the fun. I really enjoy working with anything mechanical especially motorcycles, I always have, kind of all started with this here many years ago;
:biggrin:

And here is one clean carby!

#39 ·
Thanks,
I am enjoying getting this EXC back up and running again (not to mention actually getting to ride it!). I have been given some good information and help already from others here on this forum.
When/if you get the opportunity post a picture of your 02' EXC.
Would be interested to see it.:yes:
Rangerman

#41 ·
Well I was starting to flush the radiator today and when I poured the vinegar/water mix in I soon discovered a leak around the weld where the hose connects. Is it possible to use JB Weld or liquid steel around the weld to repair it? I would wire brush and smooth sand the area first. I would think that this would fix it since it is not a big hole or crack?
Would this work or are there any other better ideas without having to replace?
Thanks,
Rangerman

#43 ·
Appreciate your input and the link. Not to bad on cost, I thought it would be more than that. I think I will try JB weld first, see what happens and if it does not work then buy used.
Thanks xj2.

#45 ·
92' 300EXC Update

OK, so I was able to fix the leak in the radiator with JB Weld, good to go! :yes:

I filled radiator with 50/50 vinegar/water mix, put fresh high octane 92 gas mixed 50:1 with Bel-Ray 2T and I put just what was necessary back on/together to see if it would fire.
And after about a dozen kicks it did! and it sure sounded good too!
I want to make sure that the water pump is functioning correctly since is was completely dry and had alot of corrosion in the radiator that I could see in it when I got it. And also flush the system to clean it out before I put in the radiator fluid.
After I got it started I warmed it up about 3 minutes then shut it off and removed the drain plug under the hose but not much drained out?
I did this another three times, each time refilling the radiator just a slight bit to top it off. But each time I went to drain it I was not getting much back out?
Is this normal? Do I need to clean out the water pump? Could it be all clogged up? Do I need to clean the hoses out?
I do not want to run it without knowing if this is a problem?
Any help/advice would be much appreciated.:)
I sure would like to at least ride around on it a bit before I start doing some other repairs.
Rangerman

#46 ·
Found another pin hole leak on same side radiator.
Considering the age I am thinking of replacing both.
Would prefer to go with new ones instead of used.
Does anyone know up to what recent year would be compatable with this 92'?
Seems to me that they probably would not drastically change the radiator/s on these for a while?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.