KTM Forums banner

1121 - 1140 of 1165 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Tricks of the trade

I was feeling for you when I saw the bucket and shim mess you had going on there. Just wanted to share a few dirty tricks that can help with motors like your kawi that have a shallow cylinder head. Some of the old automotive engines and a lot of bucket/ shim valve adjustments can be carried out by rotating cam to valve closed position and manually opening valve slightly with a curved wedge or small flat L shaped bar. You would open valve by compressing bucket at its edge and removing shim under cam lobe. Shim can usually be poked along bucket slotted edge for removal. Our old engine specific compressor tool was slick and flawless but patience can bring similar results without the high priced tool. It saves the additional work of removing cams to simplify valve adjustments. Makes it a lot easier on multiple cylinder motors. Wish I thought to mention it sooner. :|

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
A few weapons of choice as described for tormenting valve shims. I have some engine specific in my old tool boxes. Will try to dig them out for pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
A few more shim removing tools. The plier straddles the cam and the curved end of tool compresses valve to move shim from camshaft contact for removal. The tool is used to compress valve for re- installation of shim. Opposite end of red handled tool is valve spring compressor for recessed spring removal.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,124
Inside information...

Thanks for the information/experience/photos augie my friend.
I have never seen those type of tools that are in your last post, interesting.
The bucket does in fact have a slotted (grooved) edge that I was able to get a very small thin bladed flat head driver in and by holding the edge of the bucket with my fingernail was able to pop them out without to much difficulty.
I did not have to convert the metric shim size in relation to the gap size in inches by using my brain since their was this nifty shim calculator someone smarter than me provided to KLR owners abroad.

A mathematical genius I am definitely not since math was my weakest subject in high school.
I actually only had to take one year of it back then since that was all that was required for graduating and that was plenty enough to prove to me that it was my Achilles’ heel academically (still is).
Thanks for the shared knowledge sounds to me like you are not a very big fan of shim under bucket valves either...:no:

Rangerman:ricky:

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,125
Flashback...1986

Pretty much every evening after supper I enjoy drinking a stout cup of coffee and browsing through the Craigslist motorcycle ads.
Not that I need or want anymore motorcycles, I just enjoy seeing the bikes that I remember from my younger days and the memories associated with them in particular.
So when I saw this one for sale recently I instantly had a flashback to the summer of '86...

That's right Gordon, a 1986 Yammy YSR50!
2T even!
Well in my memory I was working out in the garage this fine summer day when my friend Steve pulled into the driveway on this, this, this funny little thing?
It sounded like a moped with custom exhaust!
He looked like the clowns at the circus on those monkey bikes.
I had never seen anything quite like it and I must admit that it made me chuckle out loud.
Much to the dismay of my friend who did not think there was anything funny.
Well as I inquired about it he told me it belonged to a friend of his and he was just riding it around for the day.
I must admit that I was curious so much so that Steve asked if I would like to take it for a spin around the neighborhood?
Of course I did!
Well, what I was not prepared for was the unexpected torque that this little machine contained.
This miniature superbike could really get it.
It was a blast riding it down the straights.
I was completely surprised by it.
Impressed, I pulled back into the driveway and did not think there was anything funny anymore.

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,126
Fine day for a ride...

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,127

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,128
My next best thing(s) to a KTM...

Really enjoying the nice summertime here in the midwest USA!
Excellent motorcycling weather.

Obviously I have not gotten around to the seals on the EXC yet...
Woods ride #2 coming up soon though!:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,129
Penton Power!!!

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
vintage bike stand

great old picture. i guess the penton rider forgot his bike had a side stand or forgot to use the brakes:surprise:
im not one to judge. im the guy that was hot dogging and showing off for my buddies to illustrate my CR500 didnt need a side stand. i used to hold the front brake and do a hard burnout in soft terrain and allow rear tire to dig a hole deep enough to support the bike,eliminating need for kick stand. until i tried that crap in the talcum fine sugar sand and buried the bike and required 2 of my buddies to drag my bike out once they finished laughing and abusing me:|
love those vintage memories....i could do without my vintage stupidity sometimes:|

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,131
Glory (vintage) Days...

great old picture. i guess the penton rider forgot his bike had a side stand or forgot to use the brakes:surprise:
im not one to judge. im the guy that was hot dogging and showing off for my buddies to illustrate my CR500 didnt need a side stand. i used to hold the front brake and do a hard burnout in soft terrain and allow rear tire to dig a hole deep enough to support the bike,eliminating need for kick stand. until i tried that crap in the talcum fine sugar sand and buried the bike and required 2 of my buddies to drag my bike out once they finished laughing and abusing me:|
love those vintage memories....i could do without my vintage stupidity sometimes:|
I always enjoying hearing about your vintage exploits my friend...
And you do have plenty to share!
Never thought about trenching a rut with the back tire to hold the bike upright.
A very original idea, one of kind I might add.:clap:

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,132
The right side of the tracks...

Enjoyed a nice summer ride today.

The first Gen KLR is back in the game.
All valves adjusted to the loose end of the limits.
Buttoned back up.
Runs good.
I really do appreciate this common mans "blue collar" motorcycle.
Simple to wrench on, simple to ride...

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
More vintage silliness

Had a funny memory of a young teenage rider trying to emulate our ultra cool method of parking our high powered big bore 2 strokes. Back in the 1980s when my son was a teenager I would bring along as many of his friends dirt bikes as my large flatbed would carry. The boys would ride together and us older riders would go off on hairball trail adventures and check back on the boys in their small sand pit, have a bit of a water break and head off again. One day one of my boys young, unskilled rider friends decided it would be cool to show off like the grown ups and bury his rear tire in the sand to park his bike like the big guys.
Trouble was the young fellow was trying to make his little Honda XL125 dig a hole like our 50+ horsepower big bore 2 strokes. Poor little guy hammers the throttle and dumps the clutch on that little Honda and catches a big chunk of mud and roost and hits my unsuspecting buddy right in the face as he watches the kid:surprise: then the kid proceeds to do a huge wheelie and fall off the seat and hang on to the handlebars for about 10 or 20 feet before letting go of the bike as it careened into the nearby underbrush. The 3 of us adult riders all laughed so friggin hard we were falling down in laughter while the 4 boys just watched in shock. The fellow with a face full of roost just scowled:frown2:The boys didn’t realize stuff like that should happen. The men understood that was just another good day in the woods. Those teenage boys are all in their mid 40s today and the still laugh about that story :laugh2:

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,134
Another Good One...

Now that is a funny story augie.:clap:

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,135

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,136
Bygone era...

Anyone remember these???

Not to many of these around anymore.
This one is abandoned.

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,137
Penton Six Day 125...

My tank was green...

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
Hi Rangerman.

Great pics as per usual my mate.
I like the one above of the klr pointing up the railway tracks. Though that track looks a little bumpy.....

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,139
Hi Rangerman.

Great pics as per usual my mate.
I like the one above of the klr pointing up the railway tracks. Though that track looks a little bumpy.....
Always good to hear from you DW my Aussie friend!
Hope all is well with you and your family.
I must admit that I did not actually ride those tracks even though I do profess to be an Adventure rider of sorts.
I just thought that angle would prove to be an interesting, creative shot.

I just pick and choose what type of adventures I am up for at the time and most are relatively mild to say the least...:laugh2:

I have not done to much with my KTM's recently although I will be addressing the fork seal leak issue this week as I am anticipating doing a solo woods ride next weekend.
(Stay tuned for a ride report)
I appreciate your suggestion of fabricating a fork seal cleaner tool out of an ice cream bucket or butter container as that sounds like an excellent idea and I plan to do something very close to that and will post results when I test it out.
Until then, in the meantime...

Check out this white Penton!!!

I'll take two of em'...
maybe three!:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,140
Cool School...

One aspect of motorcycling that I really enjoy is seeing the various old buildings along with the untold stories and experiences that are no doubt associated with them.
Here in the farmlands of the Midwest USA there are plenty of old schools and churches along with farms, barns and interesting homes.
That is probably the main reason that I ride so slow so that I can take it all in and not miss any of the sights.
I have never been the type of rider whose main objective is to see how fast that I can get from point A to point B.
I do also enjoy the hills with the forest areas and twisty roller coaster roads.
I have yet to encounter the wide open desert lands of the far west or the impressive mountains of the north west.
Maybe someday...

1121 - 1140 of 1165 Posts
About this Discussion
1.2K Replies
20 Participants
Rangerman
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing