Midwest USA

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,162
I took the EXC out for a spin today.

007.jpg

On the 12 mile circuit loop that I usually ride my bicycle on.

I discovered this nifty area besides the railroad tracks that I was not aware of even though passing by it for years on my bicycle rides.

This sure did bring back memories for me of the trails beside the tracks that I used to ride on my Penton Six Day.
All day long I would ride from one end to the other.
Those youthful summers seemed to last a long time back then.

The corn is well on its way to the harvest here.
And lots of it too.

Wide open farmlands abound here.
The trains still roll through too.

Was able to determine with this ride that the fork seals were working properly since the recent cleaning that they received.
Was fun riding the farmlands just to test them out.

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,163
Vintage...

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,164

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,165

The only one missing is the KTM...
OK, maybe the Maico.
How about the Husky?
Can-Am's?
I'll take the IT!

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,166
There's only one "Hurricane"

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,167

Went for an afternoon ride today on the KLR.

It was a good day to ride.

Rangerman

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Any day you can raise your leg over the seat is a good day to ride my friend. I enjoyed your retro picture of the yellow yamaha with our hero riding. I went digging for pictures of my old yellow yamaha yz125 but was unable to find any...yet. I did find some old pics from the 1980s and posted them. Have to dig a bit deeper to find the stuff from the 1970s. I think my baby brother has some. Have to remember to ask him. The picture quality of our old cameras is poor but that was all we could afford in those days.

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,169
Any day you can raise your leg over the seat is a good day to ride my friend. I enjoyed your retro picture of the yellow yamaha with our hero riding. I went digging for pictures of my old yellow yamaha yz125 but was unable to find any...yet. I did find some old pics from the 1980s and posted them. Have to dig a bit deeper to find the stuff from the 1970s. I think my baby brother has some. Have to remember to ask him. The picture quality of our old cameras is poor but that was all we could afford in those days.
I would like to see those photos of your 80's glory days.
Where did you post them?

Rangerman

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I started to put a few on my profile pics. I was looking for some old yellow yamaha pics to post. Had some air cooled ones and early water pumpers before I went to Honda's and Kawasaki. It's tough finding pictures because we have boxes of albums from those years that have become aged and delicate(like me) and it's hard to remove old yellowed pictures from album pages. The ones I have copied are the loose ones that were rejected from photo album but they are a mixed mess in 50 years of motorized madness and family fun all mixed together in bins in basement. Once in a while I dig through them when I'm bored(almost never)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,171
I started to put a few on my profile pics. I was looking for some old yellow yamaha pics to post. Had some air cooled ones and early water pumpers before I went to Honda's and Kawasaki. It's tough finding pictures because we have boxes of albums from those years that have become aged and delicate(like me) and it's hard to remove old yellowed pictures from album pages. The ones I have copied are the loose ones that were rejected from photo album but they are a mixed mess in 50 years of motorized madness and family fun all mixed together in bins in basement. Once in a while I dig through them when I'm bored(almost never)
Nice shot!
Fill us in on the details.
When?
Where?
What bike?
Inquiring minds want to know...:)

Rangerman

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Lots of guesswork on photo. After a few years of racing it gets blurred and details get scrambled. I'm sure the bike is XR400 w/430 kit and grenade tuning. Bike was only capable of making enough power to break itself. Track was Pine Grove Pa. Hare scramble. Time frame and race results are blurry. Best I can place time is owning that bike in early 1990s. Not sure what that days race results were but I was top 5 contender in Vet and B classes in those days. These days I would be a contender to follow the water truck around :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,173
Lots of guesswork on photo. After a few years of racing it gets blurred and details get scrambled. I'm sure the bike is XR400 w/430 kit and grenade tuning. Bike was only capable of making enough power to break itself. Track was Pine Grove Pa. Hare scramble. Time frame and race results are blurry. Best I can place time is owning that bike in early 1990s. Not sure what that days race results were but I was top 5 contender in Vet and B classes in those days. These days I would be a contender to follow the water truck around :rolleyes:
XR400, yes indeed.
If you had to pick just one bike (your all time favorite) out of all that you have ever owned...
Which one would it be?
ps
Even the water truck needs a little competition!:D
Actually, come to think of it, I would be following the water truck too!:oops:

Rangerman

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I was so fascinated with your question I thought it was worthy of a separate thread to itself. What is my favorite bike? Not my first bike (1955 NSU) not my fastest bike(Suzuki GS 1100 drag bike) not my best bike(current KTM) but what was my single favorite bike 1978 Honda XL175.....I'm very sentimental.
Cruise over to new thread and offer your favorite as well.
I'm hoping to hear some good stories of your favorite also.

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,175

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,176

Getting ready for a woods ride...

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,177

RANGERMAN

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,178

The odd man out: KTM did offer a very trick 80 in 1987 (check out that USD fork), but all of the magazines chose to ignore it in their shootouts. Unfortunately, the Austrian brand would have to wait another 15 years for mainstream acceptance. (from an old article)

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,179 (Edited)

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,180

Rangerman

1161 - 1180 of 1210 Posts