1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,222
One from a past ride...

Rangerman

Reactions: augiedoggie

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Always enjoy the pictures and memories of your rides my friend. Keep them coming. I don't take many pictures during my own rides. I never take the time to enjoy the scenery as you do so well. I'm usually caught in the full race mode, even when I'm trail riding I'm still fairly hard core moto. Old habits die hard I guess. Occasionally i poke along trails at a slower pace and I'm always amazed at the beauty of our forests and nature when I slow down to enjoy it. I have off the bike recently by choice while our world is on a reset but I did manage a slower paced walk with the wife yesterday along the Lehigh River. I enjoyed the beauty of nature at a slower pace walking along and managed a few pictures nature's miracle of rebirth.

Attachments

Reactions: Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,224
augs woods.jpg

Nice photograph augdog!
Reminds me of our creek behind our home.
Used to spend a lot of time back there when both of our boys were young.
We maintained a campsite year round on the bank of the creek.
Used to camp often throughout the summer.
Did a good bit of hiking and exploring the woods.
Would target shoot with our .22's.
The fishing was good too.
Good memories.
I understand what you mean about being in "race mode" and therefore as a result missing out on quite a bit of the overall experience.
I raced mountain bikes for quite awhile and when I stopped racing and started to just trail ride for fitness and fun it was then that I realized how much I had been missing as I too seemed to always be in "race mode" even when I was not racing.
Now I take my time and enjoy the scenery, the wildlife and the experience.
I even pack a lunch when I woods ride on the '92 EXC now and when I find a really nice far seeing spot I stop for a while and enjoy this good life that God has given me to live.
I have never raced motorcycles (dirt bikes) in any capacity although I suppose that it is very similar to mountain bike racing with the exception of the speed.
I enjoyed racing thoroughly but I believe that I am enjoying riding motorcycles and bicycles for recreation much more now.
One of my favorite things about woods riding is the spectacular views that I otherwise would not be able to see if not for the motorcycle that takes me there.
The ridge tops are not only fun to navigate but prove to provide some incredible sights as well.
There is a section of extremely tall pine trees in one area that always seem to make me feel so very small in comparison.
I did post a photo of that recently on one of my ride reports.
I had to stop to actually get the perspective of how big and numerous those pines really were.
Had I been in "race mode" I would have totally missed them along with most everything else!

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,225
11.jpg

This is the entrance to the pine grove.
These trees are really tall here.
There are plenty of them as this section of trail continues through them for a good distance.
The EXC is leaning up against the center tree.

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,226
More memories...
Rewind about ten+ years ago.
This '92 XRL250 was the method I used for me to determine whether or not I was to return to motorcycling.
Needless to say it did.
I purchased it with the idea that I would ride it back and forth to work in order to justify the purchase cost and see if I really wanted to get back into motorcycles in the process.
The cost of gasoline at that time was unusually high and it did turn out that it was a good investment for that purpose alone.
I rode this XRL year round and only on the really nasty days did I opt out.
This picture was taken on a trail that I used to ride in my teenage years on my Penton 125.
It runs parallel to railroad tracks that go for some distance.
Enough of a distance to make it fun to ride.
I stopped here to ride it again and take some photographs after work on a summer day.
Note the lunch box (cooler), toolbag and gear (saddlebags).
I carried these with me everyday and really enjoyed riding to work, especially the ride home as it was something to look forward to at the end of a hard day. (unless it was really cold and/or wet)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for the rest of the story, this particular trail, my Penton and my friend Steve.
That friend of mine at that time had a nifty Suzuki 125 trail bike (not a RM) and we were riding one day here close to this spot and I was on point with him far behind.
It was getting late and starting to get dark and I stopped to make sure the magneto nut was tight after having worked on adjusting the points earlier in the day.
I was on the side of the trail stooped over when I heard Steve coming toward me moving very fast.
Well, he did not see me or when he did it was too late and he clipped my leg with his foot peg.
My left calf swelled up immediately and seriously looked like a big balloon as a result and is still a bit bigger than the right to this day!
He felt really bad about that although it was not his fault but rather mine for checking this right smack dab in the middle of the trail.
I recovered of course but I still remember it to this day and it is actually a fond memory of mine in spite of the injury it incurred.

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,227
Midwest USA
Nicest day we have had thus far.
Warm temps, plenty of sunshine and staying lighter longer!
So a good opportunity to take a spin on the XRL.

A fun bike to ride.
Little creek-side trail close by.

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,228
I had an opportunity to go for a ride the other day.
One day is warm and sunny and then the next day is cold and wet.
It is a very unpredictable time of year but I am glad that it is spring.
So I will take the good days when we get them...and go riding if I have the opportunity.

I saw a old blacksmith shop near a really old grist mill originally built in 1802.

This mill provided corn meal for the federal troops in the War of 1812.
It has some old buildings on the grounds and a interesting little log cabin from the same vicinity.
This is a different old building that I thought was interesting further on down the road.
It to looks to be an old mill also.

I ended up at a park where I used to race mountain bikes.
It has some nice hiking trails as well.
I also camped here as a kid and as a family when our boys were young.

Getting ready to head back home aboard the KLR.
I enjoyed the ride as it was a good break in the routine.
I really do not need a reason to ride a motorcycle I just enjoy it.

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,229
Day Ride (mini ADV) 2020 Part 1
Time to get one of the bikes out of slumber.

Had an opportunity to go for a ride down south.
Old hunting grounds.
Good fishing spots.
Past trail rides and camping there.

Did not take long to get the "mighty" KLR ready to get going.

Check out this really nifty mural.
I rode past it and thought to myself that I just had to get a photo of it.
So I doubled back around and...
Can you see the old time motorcycle in the far right corner?

On my journey I passed a road I had not seen before.
It was gravel.
Need I say more?
I turned around and headed back to it.
Around these parts we take what we can get.

I am going to need a new rear tire soon.
Shinko's have been decent for me.
I just cannot get used to the name though.
Shinko sounds so cheapo although they have done well by me.

This road tuned out to be a good place to stop for a lunch break.

Always did like to climb the firetower.
It was closed.
Like almost everything else is now.
When I would squirrel hunt or grouse hunt down here I would almost always try to include a trip up the firetower.
Saw some really impressive views over the years.

To be continued...

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,230
Part 2...

Just after the firetower I happened to see a doubletrack trail.
So I went exploring and it turned out to go for quite some distance.

It was a nice surprise.
The KLR definitely handles much differently than the EXC which is understandable.
Interesting contrast between the two.
I have not done any hard core adventure riding but I do have a respect for those that have.
The KLR can do it no doubt but it sure is a chore compared to the EXC or even the XRL.

There was a picturesque meadow at the end of another trail I was on.
The grass was just starting to come up and there were plenty of buds on the trees.
The hills are still somewhat drab in color though but when the sun shines in makes all the difference.

There are a lot of small cliffs and caves in this area.
This one in particular was a nice sight.
Lots of pine groves as well.

Here is a really short video.

On the way back home I saw a old cabin.
Sure do like these and the story's that they could tell.
Lots of old buildings, barns and structures in these parts.

Good day for a ride.
Until next time...

Rangerman

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
You are my hero @Rangerman I always enjoy your stories and pictures of your motorcycle adventures. Most appreciated. You are becoming an inspiration for me to ride more dual sport when I see pictures of all the cool stuff you post here. I keep telling myself to slow down and enjoy the views, but my brain craves a screaming motor and eye watering speeds. I'm actually a fairly timid street rider and I live in a rural area so it would be a good fit for me.....if I only had a nice plunker dual sport bike....Honda XR maybe?? We'll see....stay tuned

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,232
if I only had a nice plunker dual sport bike....Honda XR maybe?? We'll see....stay tuned
Hey augdog,
Now this sounds like a grand idea my friend.
I have always been a big fan of the venerable XR's!
I can see you now, exploring all the nooks and crannies of your rural area/s. (and maybe beyond)
The XR would fast become your trusty steed taking you to places far and near.
Keep us posted on this XR machine of yours.
Have you given any thought as to how to convert it into a dual sport with everything that it would need to be street legal?
I am sure you have heard as have I about the Baja Designs dual sport kits.
With all of your knowledge and experience I am confident that you are more than capable of turning this XR into the ultimate dual sport machine!
I am already looking forward to hearing/reading about your many adventures!

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,233

Close to 80 degrees today.
Time to get the 2nd Gen KLR out of hibernation.
Good day for a short two up ride.

First install the battery.

I have tried quite a few different brand/style battery's and so far for what it is worth this Deka ETX battery has lasted the longest and provides the most CCA's.
Made in the USA!

Getting ready to head out.
It was really gusty today.
The sun warmed things up though.

We rode by to see if the grist mill was open so we could stop in for a visit.
It wasn't.
Neither was the same smithy shop I stopped at on the first Gen KLR a few weeks ago.

We rode around a bit and then stopped at a quaint little park to take a break.

First time that we have been here.
We will have to make it a point to bring our fishing poles next time!

To be continued...

Rangerman

Reactions: DW

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,234
Part 2...

At the bicycle staging area they have a couple old structures.
An old train depot building and an old cabin.

I do believe that old cabins are my favorite.
I like old barns with a lot of character and old school houses.
There is nothing quite like a small log cabin though to stir the thoughts of a much simpler time here in the USA.

We saw an old train on display.
Caboose's to be exact!
For those of us old enough to remember/know what they are.

Here is a (very)short video of the ride down the twisty top.

A good day for a 2-up ride.

A very good day indeed.

Rangerman

·
Dirt Wizard
4,193 Posts
Yep, jealous. We can't ride more than 50kms from home.

Far out Rangerman, did you let the missus off the back for a p.iss at any stage?
Or did she not want to leave from her seat?

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,237

1991 KTM 300DXC

Took the DXC out of the shed to give it a go and the front caliper is hanging up (bad).
I have already disassembled it once in the past to clean it out/up but did not replace the seals.
Looks like that is on the agenda.
Now as to how difficult it will be to locate a rebuild kit for this Brembo caliper I am yet to discover.
Might be able to size the seals and match with other manufacturers that way.
Most everything else (parts) has been a challenge as there are mostly just used parts off e-bay (some in worse shape than the one I am trying to replace) and these are as they become available which is not very often.
I experienced difficulty in being able to find a rebuild kit for the Brembo front master cylinder so much so that I opted to run a 1st Gen KLR650 Nissin front MC that I had extra instead and needless to say it is working fine. (which I thought that it would)
The only Brembo master cylinders that I could locate off e-bay looked worse than mine and so I thought that I would use a newer MC which happened to be a Nissin.
Now that leads me to this next idea.
If I cannot locate a caliper rebuild kit for this Brembo single cylinder caliper then I am playing around with the idea of just using the newest Nissin caliper that I can find used at a decent cost.
The only uncertainty that I have is compatibility.
I believe but do not know for sure that the mounting plate and hole configuration is different so that is what I think would be the hurdle to figure out.
I may be able to modify or fabricate a mounting plate adapter?
I was able to make the Nissin MC work but will that hold true for the caliper as well?
I am now in the process of searching for a Nissin front caliper on e-bay.

To be continued...

Rangerman

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
I have some brembo calipers from a late 1990s husky wxe. I can check for fitment if you find you need them.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
From 98 410 wxe

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,240
I have some brembo calipers from a late 1990s husky wxe. I can check for fitment if you find you need them.
Your offer is much appreciated my friend!

So far my search via e-bay has yielded better results than I had expected.

What I am running into that I have encountered before is that the years only go back as far as '96.
Usually on parts diagrams provided by the various online motorcycle retailers they start at 1996 and go up.
It is as if to suggest that anything earlier (KTM) simply does not exist. (maybe it doesn't!)
I have dealt with this before.
Even a lot of the '96 parts that are listed on the parts schematics are not available anymore.
The Brembo caliper itself is in decent condition externally it just needs new innards.

Rangerman

1221 - 1240 of 1271 Posts