Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,264

Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,265
Quite possibly the most unusual KTM ever?

AMP Research 125 KTM (1990)

I came across this very interesting article that was written recently.
It was about a man named Horst Leitner.
He designed a prototype for KTM.
It is definitely worth reading about.
Very interesting indeed.

Rangerman

Reactions: augiedoggie

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I remember when that stuff was new tech. ATK was slick and innovative design of the brilliant Horst Leitner( not sure correct spelling) the dirt bike press shredded his ideas as unworkable but the theory was amazing. ATK was acronym for german translation Anti Torque Kette. My poor translation but kette is chain in german. The design used 2 mounted sprockets above and below counter shaft sprocket to prevent rotational drive torque to impart torque reaction to rear suspension under acceleration to allow an improved suspension tuning ability due to drive chains inability to pull suspension around when accelerating. His early signature bikes also used a countershaft mounted rear disc brake to reduce braking reactions to influence suspension action. All brilliant ideas that never garnered mainstream acceptance in dirt bike world but still very interesting concepts

Reactions: Rangerman

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,267
Speaking of ATK's...
Nice one!

There was another "made in the USA" dirt bike in the early 2000's and being a cyclists (mountain bike specifically) I was familiar with the manufacturer already.
Cannondale.

Here is an interesting article about their rise and fall.

And to think that as a teenager I thought that Hodaka's were made in the states!
Oregon to be exact.
None other than the Combat Wombat!

Rangerman

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Cannondale motorcycles were innovative bikes that were destined for failure due to overly optimistic expectations of the manufacturer. They tried to develop the world's best motorcycle on their first attempt and hemorrhaged enough money to nearly bankrupt their profitable bicycle business. BMW tried to break into dirt bike market with brilliant tech and too high an expectation also and didn't understand development required trial and error and long term investments. Tough market for upstarts when your investors want near immediate results and profits. Wrong business for that plan. Hodaka was a cool brand and built simple and durable bikes, but I'm pretty sure they were imported from Japan and the importer was in US. I kind of remember the name PABATCO was the importer and it was an acronym for their corporate namesake. Hodaka bikes were super cheap and super durable. Couldn't kill their engines and cylinders were hard chrome lined and bulletproof. Never fast or fancy, but they were popular bikes for a few years. Hard to restore them because most of the surviving Hodakas refused to die and were ridden into the ground. Parts became scarce and super expensive

Reactions: Rangerman
1261 - 1268 of 1268 Posts