KTM Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm losing half the volume in my reserve bottle after parking. There seems to be no loss of coolant during operation. No visible external leaks, no steam in exhaust, no coolant in crankcase. Could this missing fluid be just "boiling off", I'm at a complete loss. Also, does anyone know if the 2012 1190 waterpump has a weep hole, can't seem to locate it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
pull your exhaust pipe and see if it smells like coolant, if it does pull the tank, airbox cover and access door in the front of the box, pull your main plugs and inspect them... then preform a leak down test.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I solved my problem, I ordered the water pump seal kit, I changed the seals and the bushing, the bushing had signs of wear and it had a small groove in it, I assume that's where the coolant was going through in to the engine/oil. Easy fix, hope this comes in handy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
exhaust pipe smells fine (that sounds odd to write). New waterpump parts are on the way. Say good luck and my Thanks to all.

·
Registered
460 Posts
is the water pump and drive design similar to KTM 990?

it is definitely something to watch for. if your reservoir runs dry check oil for water contamination.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I also thought I was loosing coolant somewhere upon my rebuild. But I filled it to full after it went down. ...it then proceeded to pour out the overflow at a bike meet lol.

I attributed it to air in the system as the temps would rise and fall fairly drastically at first, and that I never did the bleed from the heads.

6000kms later and it's a lot more solid after venting some air. Though. ..still leaking a little too add it appears lower.

Oil seems fine, no remnants of coolant (I used water wetter though) and If I fill it, it overflows again lol. It never drops past min.

Maybe I'll bleed the system after all.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts