KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2016 Duke 690 build thread from the North - Power Commander 5 is alive

Good day fellow Dukers & KTM enthusiasts...

I spend a lot of time on this forum now and figured it was worth a re-introduction as well as a place to document my "build" - pictures, installs, travel, track time (?) and whatever else relevant to Bike Life. Travis, 35, currently living in northern BC ,Canada with my understanding girlfriend and our two dogs. Just a couple of dinks (Dual Income No Kids) in the heavy duty equipment business with Finning - Caterpillar and a passion for motorsports.

*Inserts dirty mug shot at my favourite spot in the house*

Having never owned a streetbike then Karly telling me last summer "you should get one" I started looking into the Husqvarna Vitspelin for commuting to & from work. At almost $20K for the 701 and well over 10 for the 400 I couldn't justify the price when I found out the KTM Duke was pretty much the same bike. Going back and forth with the dealer here I haggled them down on a 2016 Duke they had new in the box and was like a kid in a candy shop taking this thing out on its Maiden Voyage.

Coming from an automotive / tuner background it was evident the bike required some upgrades. Akra and the K&N drop-in went on but I'll be honest - was not much louder than stock. Debated cutting the DB killer out but went a different route which I'll get to later.

Bought some knock-off crash bars & spools. Haven't had a chance to test them out yet but if they fade I'll just give them a fresh coat of paint.

Tail Tidy was from an American vendor on ebay with 250+ positive transactions (Creese1). Came with new signals and all the hardware just required a tad bit of fabbing with the old dremel.

Next up was getting rid of that unnecessary catalytic converter and swap it out for a straight-pipe. "Titanium" special went on without a hitch and really woke the decibals up. Haven't had a chance to go for a rip yet but it is noticeably louder now and dropped ~12 lbs!!!

I guess I can only upload 8 pics at a time so hold my beer, BRB.

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Next up was the plastics. I really wanted something unique from the standard Power Parts graphics but ended up tracking down a graphic pack on Instagram from Ghousedesign that did a couple bikes for Twisted Throttle out of Dubai. He offered to do a custom bit on it too but in hindsight I shouldn't have as IDTrav stuck out like a sore thumb. I mean...if I was some sort of influencer with tens of thousands of followers then ok but I'm not so wasn't really feeling it. Ghouse is actually sending me out a replacement set for the tank and was great to deal with - highly recommend.

During the wait these ended up getting ordered from MotoComposites. Originally 5-6 week production time for the glossy carbon to match the Akra but had a matte set in stock so I chanced it and really liked them on the bike. Buddy was saying they specifically made the matte to replicate the Power Parts carbon but either way I was happy and probably order more from them.

Now that temperatures are warming and getting to the +'s I finally got around to fitting the graphics, fenders, DNA filter and cleanup. Fenders fit really well for being after market and look really good in the sun.

That is it for now until the Power Commander 5 shows up some time this week but will post more pics when we throw that in. Front & Rear sprockets need to go on as well as the Track Pack once bike is on the road.

Thanks again for everyone's help through my journey over the past 8 months with this fine piece of machinery and will continue to update with pics & new mods! Cheers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice Job, Welcome...

:surprise: Welcome to the site, cant believe you did all that before even putting a lot of time on her, looks great though, keep us informed and thanks...:clap:

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:surprise: Welcome to the site, cant believe you did all that before even putting a lot of time on her, looks great though, keep us informed and thanks...:clap:
Thank you for the feedback :) I guess you could say I'm easily influenced by you guys and with the bike sitting for months during the winter it was the only way to keep giving it the love & attention deserved, right? :wub:

will you wrap the visible frame in orange wrap?
***Spoiler Alert*** Actually going to go black with the protectors - stay tuned. New replacement tank decals are being shipped as we speak to help save the carbon from scuffs / scratches as well as flow with the rest of the decal kit.

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
181 Posts
It might be worthwhile asking if your dealer has updated the software and the recalls. Mine is also a 2016 and has had 3 recalls and 2 software updates so far

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks - does it fit to a stock silencer?

Also a confusing ebay advert - there is a middle "canister" plus a link pipe to the rear aftermarket silencer??
That ad is very misleading but the picture of the pipe that looks like the one I posted is what you are getting. I don't know why but they have that Akra mid pipe on the 2nd picture as that isn't even relevant.

It might be worthwhile asking if your dealer has updated the software and the recalls. Mine is also a 2016 and has had 3 recalls and 2 software updates so far
Very good point. I actually called them last week to confirm the Trackpack was still available and if there were any TSB's (technical service bulletin) or recalls on the bike. He verified that the fuel tank upgrade was done while assembling the bike for me as well as one other one I can't recall right now but it is due for a headlight switch or sensor (?) and the latest firmware update.

It was super weird but right around 1000km's the odometer reset! Currently it shows 830 kms so something is wonky there but will assume the update will sort it out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks - does it fit to a stock silencer?

Also a confusing ebay advert - there is a middle "canister" plus a link pipe to the rear aftermarket silencer??
Hi Dandy

I got one from the third world for my 2017 and it fits nicely instead of the cat. But I found it far to loud - I like the neighbours and I go to work before 7am some days.

I am off to America tomorrow, but if you want it then I can send it ( from Suffolk ). PM me if required. Or anyone else, I am UK based. After about £60 plus P&P (but its light as feather!) as it was only used for about 2 minutes, then I was brave enough to take the fingers out of my ears to switch it off :grin2:

Keith

Reactions: dandywarhol

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well after over a week my Power Commander V finally got here. Saved over $200 going through Blackfoot Motorsports (Calgary, AB) who price-matched a vendor on ebay so would highly recommend them if you're in Canada.

Installation was... fun?

These KTM's really do remind me of working on Subarus - just like Lego for adults full of plastic bits. Everything came apart really easily and that quick-connect on the fuel line is just the cat's ***!

Was a good time to get into all the little crevices and clean out some of the dirt & debris from the whopping couple thousand km's I put on it right? :yawn: Little more space over here to stretch the PC harness out and figure out what the heck we needed to accomplish.

Few glasses of rum and some choice words after trying to fit one of the large plugs and we were done! Not much room to work under there but installation was straight forward just unplug factory connection and follow the instructions. Mounted the unit here and bike started up no problem with the ARROW FULL EXHAUST map.

Anyone that made it this far - can you please tell me what your '16+ idle should be at once the bike is warmed up? Thought mine was a little high but couldn't remember from last year and not sure if the new map altered it at all. Was around 1800 - is that where it should be?

Insurance going on in the next couple weeks so as much as it pains me to say i have NOT taken it for a rip yet. Looks like the Mojave dessert right now on our streets but the cleaners were out on Friday so shouldn't be long.

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1st Ride of the season!!!

Not the most majestic pic but the roads were dry and bike performed fantastic with the de-cat, Power Commander and DNA open airbox. Throttle response was snappier, minimal chugging in the lower RPM's and butt-dyno thinks she's a little quicker too :wink2:

I don't know if it was the placebo affect but bike felt lighter and more nimble. Powerparts seat was a nice upgrade from the loaf of clay they give you to ride around on which let me go for a few more miles before heading home.

I'm sure a few of you can relate but I texted GF when I stopped here for a pic that I'd be home in 20 mins. Soon as I hit the road plans changed and an hour later I was pulling into the driveway with a permanent smile on my face. Can't wait for the gravel to be cleaned up so I can work on improving my technical skills and getting that lean on.

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had bike in for TSB's (which were done from the factory) , firmware updates (nothing required) and the Track pack software -

NOT available from KTM :kboom:

The KTM dealer mechanic here is great and recognized across Canada for his extensive knowledge around KTM's. He hooked up both his "systems" and showed me first hand there is nothing available for 2016+ 690's - why tho??? Was it ever available? Does anyone with a 16+ have the Trackpack installed? Can we pull fuses to get rid of traction control or someway else to manipulate it?

Oh well what can a guy do hey? Anyways here are a couple low-res pictures with the replacement tank graphics over the the carbon. Anyone know a good hosting site for hi-res? The garage on the forums here butchered my pics :crying2:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts