KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Today was the big day for my road test to drop the big "L". We require (3) tests here for your motorcycle license - 1) written 2) parking lot skills test 3) driver follows you in a car road test.

Well I failed the road test :censored:

Instructor was a hard *** and talking to people at work it sounds like quite a cash grab here as majority people have failed on their 1st crack of the road test. He nailed me for incorrect lane position and not shoulder checking to the right at stop signs - bad habits. Oh well booked in for 2nd attempt in (2) weeks and shouldn't be a problem.

Until then here is a pic for seeing what's new :balloon:

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Today was the big day for my road test to drop the big "L". We require (3) tests here for your motorcycle license - 1) written 2) parking lot skills test 3) driver follows you in a car road test.

Well I failed the road test :censored:

Instructor was a hard *** and talking to people at work it sounds like quite a cash grab here as majority people have failed on their 1st crack of the road test. He nailed me for incorrect lane position and not shoulder checking to the right at stop signs - bad habits. Oh well booked in for 2nd attempt in (2) weeks and shouldn't be a problem.

Until then here is a pic for seeing what's new :balloon:
Hope you nail the next test

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Never mind - that test fail comment just might save your life one day...... I'm always looking for a red light runner :wink2:.

Best for the next test eh :grin2:.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Had bike in for TSB's (which were done from the factory) , firmware updates (nothing required) and the Track pack software -

NOT available from KTM :kboom:

The KTM dealer mechanic here is great and recognized across Canada for his extensive knowledge around KTM's. He hooked up both his "systems" and showed me first hand there is nothing available for 2016+ 690's - why tho??? Was it ever available? Does anyone with a 16+ have the Trackpack installed? Can we pull fuses to get rid of traction control or someway else to manipulate it?

Oh well what can a guy do hey? Anyways here are a couple low-res pictures with the replacement tank graphics over the the carbon. Anyone know a good hosting site for hi-res? The garage on the forums here butchered my pics :crying2:

Glad I got mine done last year. I walked into the dealer with the full AKRA system installed on my 17. He inputs the mods installed on your bike and the Akra flash appears (actually one from 2017 and one from 2018). But I guess now they have totally locked out that feature.

That being said, I'm sure someone is able to get the Akra flash (backed-up). I also have the Pirate Racing kit with their flash, that can also be "backed-up".

On that note, after I am finished with the 690 I plan to return to the Jap manufacturers to avoid all the BS from KTM. Since I am in North America, you can find many more modification options that have already been tested as the market is much larger for the Jap bikes in NA.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I love seeing the before and after pics of peoples builds as it shows the individuality we all have. I'm a fan of custom graphics and yours are really cool. There are so many guys on this forum with a full range of ideas and info about performance , handing and cosmetic mods that makes it a great place to be. Keep the upgrades and updates coming. My 690 transformation was for the track with the base graphics from ricky ricardo and a splash of aussie stuff I threw in myself. The frankenstein shift mechanism and quickshifter, GPR pipe and cat removal and crash bars are the only mods on mine. I have added the before and afters of my 690 and also the performance upgrade package which worked out cheaper for me than new forks, cam, pc and the other bits. I will probably be quicker on the 690 anyway.....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I love seeing the before and after pics of peoples builds as it shows the individuality we all have.
Yes me too! Thanks for sharing those pics your bikes are sweet dude, really diggin the track setup on your 690 :thumbup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good day fellow Dukers & KTM enthusiasts...

I spend a lot of time on this forum now and figured it was worth a re-introduction as well as a place to document my "build" - pictures, installs, travel, track time (?) and whatever else relevant to Bike Life. Travis, 35, currently living in northern BC ,Canada with my understanding girlfriend and our two dogs. Just a couple of dinks (Dual Income No Kids) in the heavy duty equipment business with Finning - Caterpillar and a passion for motorsports.

*Inserts dirty mug shot at my favourite spot in the house*

Having never owned a streetbike then Karly telling me last summer "you should get one" I started looking into the Husqvarna Vitspelin for commuting to & from work. At almost $20K for the 701 and well over 10 for the 400 I couldn't justify the price when I found out the KTM Duke was pretty much the same bike. Going back and forth with the dealer here I haggled them down on a 2016 Duke they had new in the box and was like a kid in a candy shop taking this thing out on its Maiden Voyage.

Coming from an automotive / tuner background it was evident the bike required some upgrades. Akra and the K&N drop-in went on but I'll be honest - was not much louder than stock. Debated cutting the DB killer out but went a different route which I'll get to later.

Bought some knock-off crash bars & spools. Haven't had a chance to test them out yet but if they fade I'll just give them a fresh coat of paint.

Tail Tidy was from an American vendor on ebay with 250+ positive transactions (Creese1). Came with new signals and all the hardware just required a tad bit of fabbing with the old dremel.

Next up was getting rid of that unnecessary catalytic converter and swap it out for a straight-pipe. "Titanium" special went on without a hitch and really woke the decibals up. Haven't had a chance to go for a rip yet but it is noticeably louder now and dropped ~12 lbs!!!

I guess I can only upload 8 pics at a time so hold my beer, BRB.
Nice graphics..

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sorry I had to post here I know it's not orange but been wanting a two stroke for a little while now and don't have the funds for a Freeride yet so this is what I settled on. 2001 CR125 Smoker'. The fleet is growing!!!

Top end just went on the seller plus he just had a baby few weeks back so price was an absolute steal and got to work right away. Hoping to have the cylinder head back from machining Friday so I can drop the new Wiseco in and see how this compares to the 250R 4-stroke that I've been riding for the past year.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Had my first real bike cruise yesterday with a pile of cool bikes. S1000RR, MT09, a pile of MT07's, Husqvarna Vitspilen, Kawasaki 1400, etc. Anyone use Tunit app? Most of us met on there and are now going to do Wednesday meets.

What a blast! Not sure how nobody ended up in jail but was a good time and those Yammy guys were on one wheel the majority of the ride. Duke got a ton of attention as not too many of those around here it's mostly the adventure bikes if you see a KTM.

Buddy with an XSR900 swapped bikes with me at the gas station so had a lot of fun on that thing. His bike was a monster all modded up too...gobs of power but heavy in the turns.

We stopped for a break and he showed me how to wheelie the 690 lol. Basically just pinned it in 2nd gear @4K rpms then blipped the clutch. Guess I have some work to do now :surprise:

And sprockets...bad. Need to pick up a chain break and the riveting tool for the orange chain I grabbed from the dealer but may just do the sprockets for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
G'day IDT,

Did I read that right? You have worn sprockets and are thinking of not replacing the chain at the same time?

Don't do it mate....... I made that mistake decades ago..... sprockets looked so good I just put a new 'O' ring chain on ...... and ...... only 15,000kms later the chain was Fkd again. Lesson learn't, new sprockets and chain, and they will last for 50,000+kms...... well maybe less for you with a few wheelies thrown in :laugh2:.

Be careful doing the chain - fit the sprockets and roll the chain into place before selecting the pin to grind then when you do the 'cold' riveting on the joiner pin, make sure it is flattened enough to stay in place - don't want the pin to crack from over riveting or to slip out from not squashing the tip enough :wink2:.

It's a dirty job...... consider letting a good workshop do it if you haven't done one before :grin2:. (and remember, a grinder tool will take a finger off in the blink of an eye).

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
G'day IDT,

Did I read that right? You have worn sprockets and are thinking of not replacing the chain at the same time?
No our wires are crossed but thank you for your reply as that makes perfect sense and good to know for the dirt scoots!

Sprockets are fine as I have 1500 km's on the bike so it shouldn't be detrimental but want more performance so have the 15/42 gearing ready to go. I bought the orange chain just for cosmetics to go along with the orange rear sprocket not knowing I'll need a chain break + riveting tool.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
:grin2: No worries IDT..... that mileage is fine...... Oh, reminds me, there's a post on here somewhere of a sprocket coming off for uncertain reasons..... made a mess of the rear hub - so make certain when you install the new rear sprocket that all the mounting bolts are seated correctly into their recesses and use some medium lok-tite on the threads just as an overkill. Same goes for the front sprocket..... don't need that coming loose eh?

:wink2:

Reactions: IDTrav

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Went out with the bike gang again last night for a good rip through some nice twisties. Guys leading the pack spotted a moose coming out the ditch which gave everyone a quick little scare but no incidents thankfully.

Finally got a good picture of the bike with a proper camera. Will update again tomorrow as we are throwing the sprockets on tonight WOOOO.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Definitely saved one of the best for last with this one boys. 15/42 sprockets really wake the bike up and should have came this way from factory IMO. Power is smoother and bike winds up a lot quicker through all the gears so paired up with the decat + power commander I'm quite happy how friggin fun this thing is now :gunsmilie:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As much as I thought about throwing some dual sport tires on this thing to get me by (blew up both CR's couple weeks back) I can't justify it with the exhaust location under the bike. Surprisingly enough on the stock tires it wasn't that bad blowing through the gravel but these roads are about as far as i'd go.

Also, tonight I'm hitting the drag strip with a buddy and our GoPro's so should have some fun! Question is at our elevation here can I break into the 12's??? Will the Duke be able to beat my S4 ... ran a 13.3 last year in the car :|

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well... faster than the car by a split second but couldn't break into 12's! 13.2 was my best run with a 0.01 reaction time (Good luck doing that one again). We are way above sea level so don't compare this to a track with a much lower altitude but if you want to critique my launch, shifts or anything else I'm all ears :)

Me and buddy's FZ07 did (8) runs total. 4/4 dead even. The bikes are beyond close but he trapped a 13.1 and somehow I still won with my 13.2??? See time slip attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Alright so finally got the wheelies figured out in 1st gear.

- ABS on / off doesn't affect anything at all
- NO clutch-up required just 1/2 throttle at ~4500rpms doing ~25km/h and she pops right up then pin the throttle
- Will bounce off the rev limiter just about every time but then drops down

Next goal is 2nd gear wheelies but I'm nowhere close. I'll reef on it but barely comes up an inch or two. Will try compressing suspension like on a dirt bike and won't bring front end up.

Clutch-up is closest i've gotten and barely lifts front wheel. Full rev then blip clutch but haven't figured out the timing. Anyone have any new tips for me??? Maybe just not being aggressive enough I'm thinking.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
^ ^ ^
thanks for the info, I'll have to try the 1st gear ones. My problem maybe that when I move to cover the rear brake, I also end up leaning forward on the bike.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts