KTM Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
^ ^ ^
thanks for the info, I'll have to try the 1st gear ones. My problem maybe that when I move to cover the rear brake, I also end up leaning forward on the bike.
No problem! The key is to find a road with no distractions and just keep practicing. Nobody turning out in front of you...no people walking... nothing.

I went out for 2+ hours last week and kept popping it up until I became more comfortable staying on the throttle. Had the same problem - always leaning forward but small habit you can break easily.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Alright so finally got the wheelies figured out in 1st gear.

- ABS on / off doesn't affect anything at all
- NO clutch-up required just 1/2 throttle at ~4500rpms doing ~25km/h and she pops right up then pin the throttle
- Will bounce off the rev limiter just about every time but then drops down

Next goal is 2nd gear wheelies but I'm nowhere close. I'll reef on it but barely comes up an inch or two. Will try compressing suspension like on a dirt bike and won't bring front end up.
Just start off in first and change gear with it up. When you are approaching the higher revs put pressure on the gear lever, then quickly throttle off and then back to the place you were. The quick lack of torque to the rear will enable a seamless gear change. Just make sure you open the throttle to a similar point, plus a little, and don't whack it fully open*

I used to do this on my Yam RD350 powervalve ( or RZ350 as on some other continents ).

I should be old enough to know better now! >:)

Keith
* I had issues changing from 3rd to 4th and I decided to "go for it". As I then cracked the throttle open I felt the front come up loads more :surprise: instead of tickling the rear brake to control it, I stood on it and the rear wheel locked ! The front end came down and tried to burry its way to Australia ! I just stayed on, but needed new pants!!! In the cold light of day going from 3rd to 4th is 80 mph ( on private land your honour :wink2: ) on one wheel, that was locked :surprise: I decide not to try that again 0:)

Reactions: IDTrav

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just start off in first and change gear with it up. When you are approaching the higher revs put pressure on the gear lever, then quickly throttle off and then back to the place you were. The quick lack of torque to the rear will enable a seamless gear change. Just make sure you open the throttle to a similar point, plus a little, and don't whack it fully open*
Clutchless shift then I take it? I gotta try that tonight sounds like too much fun. Thanks for the tips Keith

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone have any new tips for me??? Maybe just not being aggressive enough I'm thinking.
If wheelies are what you want, try a larger rear sprocket. I've got a 15/44 on now and maybe even a 45 will work with the stock chain but I have not verified the 45 fitment. Might improve your 1/4 time too ..

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well not having any luck on my bikes these days...

CR125R - seized crank after fresh top end rebuild
CR250R - in pieces being parted out after timing skipped and cam took out top end

And now this leak. Cleaned it all up and did an oil change last night hoping was just overflow from all the hooning but no dice. She's leaking all over the exhaust pipe and small puddle in the morning underneath. Rolled over 3,000 km's last night.

With only 4 solid months of summer and the shop backed up I'd really like to fix this myself but have no clue what gasket to start on. Going to try re-torquing the bolts and see if my dealer will point me in the right direction as I don't want it sitting there for a week or two but also don't like the idea of oil dripping near the rear tire FML.

Anyone else have any insight where to start on these motors?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Snuck the bike in on my lunch break and turns out to be the set-screw on the clutch case - right next to the oil filter that blocks off an oil passage.

Mechanic there is a beauty and dropped what he was doing to help diagnose the leak. Still on warranty so he's ordered a new clutch case, gaskets and will have to drop the oil + coolant when all the parts come in. For now will just clean it up good and plug it up with some hi-temp sealant good to go!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey buddy! Glad to see another guy in Northern BC with a 690! I ride a 2014, that's been converted to an "R" version, and then some.

If you're ever out for a rip in my neck of the woods, let me know. There's also a good chance I'll be down there in next few weeks and will bring the bike with.

Shoot me a msg some time if you have any questions about these beasts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Right on! We have a good crew of naked bikes that hoon it around PG here so I'll shoot you my number and let me know when you're in town.

Nice bike too. Dukes are few and far between around here let alone your R - that thing is sweet!

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Been a while updating the thread but not much new other than hand guards and a tire. Still loving the bike every time I get on it!

Sold my car and bought a truck so now have a proper vehicle to bring the bikes around with me. There are a pile of roads around that are insanely fun to ride but couple hours out of town which makes for a tiring commute as well as my PCV file only gets me 150 km's and out of gas so would be stranded in certain areas.

IMG-7473.JPG

Ended up meeting @ebtimmer half way then went for a tear up through the mountains - such a sick Duke he has all race prepped and full of proper performance modifications.

unnamed (2).jpg

8A865E53-FDCC-464A-971D-8E42BFE73F88.JPG

1F1BA441-8162-4144-B6D9-ECE652B0A4B3.JPG

FA5FCFED-8791-4B99-966D-FEA2E73FB157.JPG

03416A54-4FC7-4A42-97CA-F9DAEC7E61EE.JPG

Got home after a good full day burn and neglected to check the bike over until a week later when it was loaded up and ready to head on an 8 hour drive with the bike. Noticed this and immediately texted Eric for advice as I needed to get it booked into a shop where I was headed.

IMG-7445.JPG

Then noticed one of my Chinese crash bars had a broken weld - get what you pay for! Easy fix over winter but not a big deal.

unnamed (3).jpg

Luckily they had what he recommended and now sporting a grippy new Michelin Pilot Road 5 on the rear.

unnamed.jpg

Couple buddies bought these silly little PW 200's - no brakes, no power, weird fork position, wasn't a fan at all but they're also purpose built and I guess great for camping.

IMG-7468.JPG

That's all for now folks. Winter plans will be a good cleanup, fix crash bar and not sure what else but open to suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Spent most of Saturday cleaning all the nook & crannies that were neglected all summer. Another month or so and it will be getting a pro-tune on a dyno - will have pics and video of that process but for now she's sitting pretty in the shop till then! Few minor cosmetic changes and fixed the crash bar weld that broke. I'll be in Calgary for work next month and going to take the DNA cover with me to get carbon hydro dipped.
unnamed64654.jpg

How I've been coping with the winter... studded tires on the 350. Such a hoot on the icey roads, parking lots and packed down trails. Went out Sunday for a nice blast and realized how out of shape i am and to watch out closer for those fallen trees - absolutely destroyed my helmet lol.
snow.jpg

helm.jpg

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Added some more carbon... oh wait, it's Hydro-dipped! Pretty cool stuff if you have never heard of the process.

hydrodip.jpg

Bike is on the road as of yesterday and first things first was clutch-up wheelies in 2nd gear. The 350 does them with ease now but still a bit of work getting the Duke to wheelie with TC on. I'll post some vids up after the weekend at my secluded spot but for now here is how she is sitting.

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
It's looking very stealth, mean

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
Thanks man and the look i was going for. Someone at work that rides asked me who's bike that was in the parking lot... mission accomplished lol

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well I went to a 14-tooth on the front last night and can now roll-on wheelie in 2nd gear without the clutch. Gotta order those wheel speed sensors this week and trick the TC control because I'm working wayyyyy too hard to lift this 690 which is probably causing some excessive wear on the clutch. 3rd gear will wheelie now but have to be going up a hill lol. Otherwise it comes up a couple inches and skims the ground.

Little video my buddy made last week, burnout was done on a brand new Michelin Pilot Sport...ffs ya idiot :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
19 Posts
@IDTrav a 14?! Jesus buddy. What are you running on the rear?!

I swear by the 15/42 combo.

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I had the 15/42 on up until 4pm last night lol. Put on a 14 but not sure if it's a good idea if it's going to cause some serious potential mechanical failures???

Positive - with 14/52 - the bike friggin' rips through 3 gears and wheelies really nice. I have yet to find a bike faster than mine from light to light haha.

Negative - little noisier on the chain and top speed is maybe 165km/h ... maybe a little quicker but she runs outta steam quick up top. Also watched my fuel gauge drop like a freight train last night.

The 14 is NOT dampened but it seems to fit fine. I put the lock washer back on , added a squirt of blue loctite and torqued down to 80ft/lbs.

Are the crank seals easy to do on these bikes or does it require splitting the case? If so the 14T is coming off and going back to a dampened one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you're unhappy with your fuel mileage now, I would not recommend running the 14 on the highway lol.

If I recall, it adds like 350rpm or more to any cruising speed!!

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
mmmmm i'm not sure that looks good mate
Due to? The fact it's a solid steel one and not dampened? Let me have it Weeks I have thick skin and easy to put the other one back on.

You realize that is just test fitted on there to make sure the splines line up right? Was the only pic I had on my phone and am at work. I'll take the cover off when I get home and do another inspection after the jaunt last night.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts