KTM Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 SDR; 60 mm wheel nut( is it 200nm or 250 nm?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx, now I have to buy a BIG torque wrench 😜

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thx, now I have to buy a BIG torque wrench 😜
And a special socket that makes it a one man job. This is what I have.
20180328_163719.jpg
20190519_122603.jpg
I have a torque wrench to 310nm and that is the extension bar I need to get it off, it's off a big floor jack.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where u get that socket?

·
Registered
22 Posts

If you want a USA built version. I have this and it's a very high quality piece.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why does it need such a high torque value? (Just asking) My Ducati wanted 220nm and it was a
struggle to get that nut off. When I had the wheel back on I torqued the nut 150nm and rode it for 11k km before selling it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, there's 177hp, 140Nm and about 280kgs applied to that rear wheel day in and day out with only one nut to hold the wheel in place. Obviously it needs to be on there proper otherwise the wheel's going to fall off. And if the manual recommends 250Nm... that's what I'm going to spec it to. If it was a fairing bolt I would take liberties with the tightness... but this is the drive wheel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks! Will be awkward if you look in the mirror to see that wheel passing you! (and most probably the last thing you'll see too....)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, y’all must tighten your “Nuts”😜

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah, that seems kinda sketchy not tightening it to spec.
Wouldn’t do it myself, but I’m sure I’ve done things others wouldn’t do.

I never found it too difficult to break loose, but always had my son or wife sitting on the bike and holding the rear brake.

I bought a new torque wrench when I bought the bike and started using my cheap Walmart torque wrench as a “breaker bar.”
It did require some solid downforce but always came off without drama.

I didn’t have the nicer socket that others have so always put a towel over the rim just in case I slipped it off.
Never did but didn’t want to accidentally slam the socket into the rim.

·
Registered
364 Posts

If you want a USA built version. I have this and it's a very high quality piece.
Thanks for this. Ordered. Always wanted a socket with the internal "sleeve" so it stays on the axle. I have a 60mm and now see the value in having that internal sleeve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts