KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any feedback? does anyone knows if it's under warranty. I bought it new 6 months ago.
Not too Happy about this!
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Best course of action is to phone the dealer you bought the GT from and ask them. You should get at least 24 months warranty. Alternatively look in the KTM service book.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I can tell you fork seals are definitely NOT a warranty item, but the Mother Ship should stand behind a brand-new leaking shock, IMO.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My electronics/pre-load adjuster went out on my rear shock on my 2016 SDGT within the first two months of ownership.
They covered it under warranty, no questions asked and no pushback.
The only downside was they took the shock off, shipped it to KTM, North America for repair. Then shipped back for re-install.
So there was some down time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the warranty. The frame ,motor and swing arm is the only thing covered.
Will check with my dealer today.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I looked at the warranty. The frame ,motor and swing arm is the only thing covered.
Will check with my dealer today.
In theory, this is correct.
But from my experience, and from what I have read on forums from others experiences, KTM is actually pretty good about covering legit issues on the entire bike during the warranty period (“goodwill”).

Why they do it this way, who knows.
There is probably some legal reason that helps them CYA, if they want to deny a claim.
It probably turns some people off from buying their bikes.

Good luck, hopefully they cover it willingly.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I believe some components, such as the Bosch electronic suite are covered by their manufacturers. Possibly WP will cover it even though they are owned by KTM.

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
499 Posts
In theory, this is correct.
But from my experience, and from what I have read on forums from others experiences, KTM is actually pretty good about covering legit issues on the entire bike during the warranty period (“goodwill”).

Why they do it this way, who knows.
There is probably some legal reason that helps them CYA, if they want to deny a claim.
It probably turns some people off from buying their bikes.

Good luck, hopefully they cover it willingly.
In my experience, KTM has been excellent at "goodwill" warranty work. In the first two months of ownership, I had seven different warranty claims, all cheerfully covered in full even though the part is question was not "covered" according to a strict reading of the text.

I admit to initially being wary of the KTM written warranty, but I bought the bike anyhow. No regrets here.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can tell you fork seals are definitely NOT a warranty item, but the Mother Ship should stand behind a brand-new leaking shock, IMO.
Interesting. My fork seals were covered under warranty, or one at least.
Then again, our consumer protection laws may have some bearing on that.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Cheers Unfilou, contact your dealership or drop by the workshop....... you have 12 months warranty and they will inspect the issue and refer it to KTM USA. I'm sure they will cover a leaking rear shockie with warranty and either repair the unit or replace it depending on what the problem is.

(y)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Cheers Unfilou, contact your dealership or drop by the workshop....... you have 12 months warranty and they will inspect the issue and refer it to KTM USA. I'm sure they will cover a leaking rear shockie with warranty and either repair the unit or replace it depending on what the problem is.

(y)
Is the GT warranty only 12 months down there?
The 2016 GT in the US came with 24 month, which I thought was kinda different since the SDR only had 12 months.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Is the GT warranty only 12 months down there?
The 2016 GT in the US came with 24 month, which I thought was kinda different since the SDR only had 12 months.
No we have 2yr warranty...... i thought I read that the US had only 1 yr warranty on this forum....... oh well, 2 years for you guys it is...... in any case the OP's bike is only 6 months old and the rear shockie seal is leaking (not the spring, nor the fork seals :giggle:)...... so if he shows them the issue they will take pics and process the claim.

No one would buy a new bike if these sort of issues were passed over by the sellers.

(y)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the support. I called the shop and have a appointment tomorrow. From my discussion with the service manager there should be no worry, it will be taking care of by warranty.
I am please to see Ktm standing behind there product.

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
499 Posts
Gotta admit though that KTM's actual practices of covering repairs are MUCH more liberal, generous, and consumer friendly, than the actual written text of the warranty coverage would ever provide for.

Very puzzling.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I would postulate the strict terms shield them legally and the liberal interpretation makes them look better than on paper. It may be that they leave some matters to the individual dealers to determine if there is misuse, abuse or the particular item is actually defective.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts