KTM Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my white 2019 SDR today. It was uncrated yesterday. I rode the 120km home in very windy conditions. First impressions are that the wind does "play" with the SDR, the bike feels rather high from the ground (it requires long legs to get on - luckily I'm 1.86M), some vibrations from the motor... good brakes, it feels light, gearbox is smooth, throttle and fueling is MUCH better than my Ducati XDiavel S (but the raw grunt of the Ducati feels more potent??). Still brand new so I guess it will all improve as the motor is run in...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not sure where the big power torque/pull kicked in on the Ducati.

When I got my SDGT, I was coming off a Honda 919 that had most of its torque available not far past idle. Took a minute to get used the the SDGT power delivery.

Once familiar with it I usually cruised around 4500-5000 rpm.
When riding aggressively or getting ready to blast off I would have it in the gear that put me at least at 5000-5500 rpm.
From there on up to redline is where the wild pull is.

If you are in the mid 3k to low 4k rpms and whack the throttle and/or then short shifting it probably doesn’t feel like you are expecting.

Not sure if they’ve smoothed out the vibrations in low rpms (mine was a 2016). But in stock form those didn’t like to be lugged.
Anything under 4k rpms, especially a slower speeds, and it did vibrate a lot. That’s why I always cruised at 4500 or higher.
The Rottweiler fueling dongles helped that out a lot though as it runs lean at low rpms (emission reasons) and the dongles correct that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! The SDR is still "stiff" as it has a total of 123km on the clock now... some re-mapping and a chip will come... I was doing between 100 km/h (5th) and 120 km/h (6th). I'll get used to it - biggest difference is the high seat position. Regards!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Yes, mine is just starting to loosen up a bit after 3k miles and getting better. Don't get me wrong, above 5,500 rmp there's a ton of torque and higher in the revs it gets mental. In the mean time, a 40 tooth rear sprocket is a great way to make it more tractable around town, slow traffic and leaves lots of top-end - still rarely use 6th gear.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have read in a number of places that the KTM has a “power nanny” when new. I don’t know when that expires, I think I head around 1200 miles, but I may be wrong. I have read elswere that it resets by its self, and others have posted that you have to go to your dealer for the first service to get all the breakin restrictions removed. I have no idea if this is correct as I bought mine used. When you st ar thinking of your upgrade dollars, you might want to get the Corbin seat. Much much more comfortable. I’m 6’ but only have a 30” inseam(76.2 cm). Way better with the Corbin seat. I had some un comfort on the inside of my thighs, which the Corbin that issue was gone and it’s easier to put my feet on the ground. I also got lower foot pegs, which are better for my old joints.

motor wise, I have a arrow cat eliminator, but stock can. I love how much better it sounds! My big change was the remap tablet so I could reflash the ECU. The reflash changes the bike! Much smoother at low RPMs. I had an issue with the bike vibrating pretty bad in the 3200 to 3800 rpm range. Right where I end up in 6th gear on the highway. The reflash took care of that and the bike is just fine in 6th gear now! I was getting a lot of back firing, so I also got the canister eliminater kit from Rottweiler.

the bike is perfect now. Both my Son and I like it better then his Ducati (1200 monster). It’s also faster, not that law abiding fathers and Sons would ever think of racing their 170 hp bikes on the road.

I like it better then my VMax ( which I sold) It has that impressive torque and power, but it honestly feels 200 lbs lighter.

getting the reflash tablet sees ungodly expensive, but look at what they charge for just a slip on can, let alone full exaust system! The low cost cat eliminator and a reflash is a much better investment!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Unless you have reflashed the ecu, there are a LOT of restrictions on your GT. If your saying there are no BREAK IN restrictions on your GT, I’ll belive you. But there have been many many posts about new bikes with break in restrictions, and I’m just passing that on

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
getting the reflash tablet sees ungodly expensive, but look at what they charge for just a slip on can, let alone full exaust system! The low cost cat eliminator and a reflash is a much better investment!
Some good info! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unless you have reflashed the ecu, there are a LOT of restrictions on your GT. If your saying there are no BREAK IN restrictions on your GT, I’ll belive you. But there have been many many posts about new bikes with break in restrictions, and I’m just passing that on
I definitely have a 6000rpm limiter at work on my new GT. As soon as you exceed that number the limiter shuts off power. I asked the shop about it when I had my initial oil change at 800KM and was told it will remain until 1000km but unfortunately winter came in the form of snow the next day, so I'll have to wait till spring to see what happens. The Rev counter also flashes red when you approach 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My 16 SDGT didn’t have any break in restrictions.
Warning light flashed sooner but it would go all the way up.
Didn’t rag on it during break in, but did take it to red line more than once.

When I wrecked it the servo motor cable was disconnected it put it into limp mode and had a 6k rpm limit.
Rode it home after the wreck and that 6k limit was no fun.
Still went 85+ mph on the highway just couldn’t get there as fast.
I would have hated having that limit during break in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did a 300km ride today. The ambient temp. was 37C and I felt the engine heat on both legs and the seat got hot too. I took the twisties, cutting across and over the mountains where I could test the handling of the SDR. The chicken strips are all covered with road rash - so the handling is OK. Fuel consumption was not bad - I used 12.9L over 270km. Regards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My tach lights up and flashes red at 6500, but the power does not cut off on my 19 GT. In fact, the other day I got a false neutral with the quick shifter and it bounced off the rev limiter around 10k. Scared the heck out of me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just picked up a 19' GT myself. The dealer told me to ride it like I normally would up and down thru the Rev range to break in the motor right. He said the only thing limited until the first service is you can't adjust the shift change limit light until you pass the 621 break in mileage but it doesn't actually affect the performance of the motor. Just reminds you that you're still in the initial 621 break in mileage. After the first service, the dealer will hook up to the computer and remove that function so you can adjust the reg range warning accordingly to how you want it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My tach lights up and flashes red at 6500, but the power does not cut off on my 19 GT. In fact, the other day I got a false neutral with the quick shifter and it bounced off the rev limiter around 10k. Scared the heck out of me.
The shift light can be reset after break-in to any desired rpm under redline.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts