KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

790 or 890 duke?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've test driven the 790, and loved it, but wasn't a fan of the brakes. I'm really tempted to get the 890 since it seems to improve on everything, but the 790 is like $7.5k right now and the 890 is $11.7k (plus the $750 tech package which is included in the 790 already).
While the 790 may have less depreciation since it's being sold closer to its used value, the 890 might also be more popular long term. I plan to do a lot of canyon carving, long distance, commuting, and probably track day once or twice a year.

Opinions on which to get by people who have tried both?

·
Registered
171 Posts
My vote is save your money and get the 790. I have a 790R and love the engine, but for a slighfly higher price would probably prefer the 890. My 790R was $13,499 in 2019, and now the 2021 890R is just over $14k. The problem for guys wanting the Adventure R is there are no 790Rs available, but if someone could save $4k for a 790R it would be a great deal over the 890R. I don’t know what changed on the Duke 790 vs 890, but Adventure 890s got better brakes, clutch, gearing and an aluminum handlebar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a 890 duke R. I have to say at 6'2" I am a little cramped on it. I got bar risers and that helped, also my 20mm higher seat just came in. It should help as well. I have owned 45+ bikes over the last 45 years and I can say I have never ridden anything that was so stable in a corner. Phenomenal!! I doubt I will ride it much more than 250-300 miles a day because I have other bikes for that ( 2020 BMW R1250RS and 2018 KTM 1290 SAR) I only have 200 miles on the 890 so far, but looking forward to break-in mileage to wick it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you say only ride it 300 miles per day?? And here I’m happy if I can put 300 miles on mine in a month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aaah. I thought you were saying that each day you ride 300 miles a day and I thought you either have the best life ever or the worst commute of all time. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had to make this decision for myself. The reality was that with various dealer fees and taxes, the difference between the 2 bikes is more like $3k rather than $4.5-5k. For me, it mostly came down to suspension- I am 6'0" 245lbs and the progressive springs on the 790 were clearly too soft for me. I expected the 890 to be too soft as well, however it wasnt so bad and gave me much more suspension travel. Side by side, the 890 sits about an inch taller than the 790. So, newer model year, large engine, better suspension, black wheels rather than orange (my preference) all won out for me over the lower price. And, I do not miss the R features a bit. The brakes will stop in a hurry. I rode for 4 hours yesterday and appreciated the room to move around on the seat and never once wished for the suspension to be anything other than what it is. This is a great all-round bike as long as you accept naked-bike speeds. I averaged 50 mph and 58 mpg yesterday on nice NW GA back roads.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I thought long about getting a 790, changing the brake pads and upgrading the suspension but at that point the price difference was down a fair bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 890R is good for 200 to 300 miles quite easily IMO. If you intend to do several track days a year the brakes, suspension and engine will pay very big dividends. It has great road manners and strikes a good balance on stiffness and feel. I have a full system and akra on mine and took off about 15 to 20 pounds and with 2 gallons of fuel, it rips on the track. I have had several people confuse it for the 1290. The brakes are out of this world. Enjoy your ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts