KTM Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I’ve had my 2017 Duke 690 since September of 2021. In may I bought a triumph tiger and retired the duke while I attempted to sell it. It hasn’t sold and unfortunately was stolen this morning. The thief politely parked the bike about half a block away for the police to find and notify me. I’m stoked that it’s back, but they messed up the ignition and I can’t get my key into it to start it up. I called a local dealer than quoted me $500 for parts and labor to install a new ignition and said that it has to be electronically married to the bike.
I’m here to ask if this is true, especially since the thief was able to ride off on it without a key. Because I would much rather spend the $115 on parts and swap it myself.
Thank you in advance!

· Registered
2016 690 Duke
109 Posts
I would call another KTM dealer or contact KTM North America directly to ask them for confirmation. I don't see it being the case when a complete lock set it only like $135 last time I looked into it and as you eluded to, the keys are not chipped as far as I know.

Reactions: GneissPhroge

· Registered
2016 690 Duke
109 Posts
I will add that the bolts that hold the ignition cylinder into the frame neck are shear bolts and will need to be destructively removed and replaced as the bolt heads shear off when they reach the correct torque so they can't be removed easily. High strength or permanent thread lock is also used, further complicating bolt removal.

· Premium Member
2021 1290 Super Duke R (Black)
114 Posts
BTW I stuck an AirTag under the plastic on top of the fuel tank where it isn’t easy to find. I get constant updates on its location as people with iPhones walk past my bike. Presumably it would be some help in locating the thing if it were ever moved.

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I am currently going through something similar, feel free to PM me and can give you more information on what I did. See my most recent post from earlier this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts