KTM Forums banner

Red Bull fairing question

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Floatn 
#1 ·
I have two questions and one is probably a stupid question, but i'll ask anyway.

Regarding the: RT side Mid Fairing Cover Panel

Regular Question
Has anyone ever seen this kind if "bubbling" under their graphics?
It started about 6 months ago and has continued to get larger.
I want it gone!
It's not like a air bubble under some flimsy plastic decal that I can "work out", as there is no edges of the decal for the air to escape thu.
I stuck a tiny pin in one to let the air out, but it's more of a brittle deformity of the decal rather than a soft air bubble.

Maybe due to the exhaust heat?
Any ideas for making it go away or why it happening?

Now for the"Stupid Question":
Does anyone know of a place to get replacement Red Bull fairings
OR
Have them repaired back to OEM quality?

Thank you guys

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like its from heat to me. For Red Bull parts the only guy I know is on eBay and his name is mdparts0. I bought a bunch of Akra stuff from him and his service is first rate. You probably wont find anything on eBay U.S. but if you go to eBay UK and search a bit you can find him. If you were to try to fix what you have I would look up Chris Kruezel at drippin'wet.com he can make just about any stickers you could think of and a nice guy too! I would then look for some heat shielding for the inside of the fairing. That's what I did-and don't go cheap! There's some real crap out there.

#8 ·
Your decal is lifting and has become brittle from heat. That panel is easily replaced so get yourself on EBay, buy panels for both sides then get a decent painter to blow them in for you. We have Dream Machine over here in the UK who do this kind of work all the time.
Funnily enough I have just finished spray painting both of mine today (same panels!) in plain KTM Orange with nice coat of lacquer over the top.
Why not have a go at a decal kit yourself? If you use a weak Fairy liquid solution (dishwash liquid over there in USA?) and apply it to the panel first you will find that you can manoevre the decals to suit and then dry them off with a hairdryer. If you do not feel confident doing this go visit a detailing body/paint shop and get them to do it for you?

#11 ·
Well,
I wrapped the header and put heat tape on the lower fairing.
I will do the same to the damaged side fairing, after I see if it can be repaired
(or by some miracle find a new one).
I also found more heat damage to the little side fairing after I removed it.

Moral of the story: If you have "irreplaceable" special edition fairings, spend the few bucks and time to protect them from heat damage.
I didn't know I had a problem........till I had a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.