KTM Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at adding a louder horn and to get to it I need to remove the orange plastic trim that warps around the back of the tank and then forward to a point just past the fork tubes. Well I have removed the two bolts that hold it to the tank and the for that hold it to the black trim that goes around the front of the tank. There are two pins located on the side about 75 % from the front of this piece. They look to be held on by a metal pin through a rubber grommet. I have pulled and they will not release but I did crack the left side. :eek::mad: I cannot see any way to get to these grommets to see why the pin is so tight. Anyone know how to remove this piece? To make matter more frustrating it looks like the horn is too big so I have done all this and damaged my bike for nothing. Did I mentioned it rained?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had mine apart for the same reason. Those pins do push in\pull out, but they are extremely tight. It's over a year since I did it, but I think I just minimized the pressure on the plastic by sticking my fingers underneath, directly in line with the pins, and worked it very cautiously. Sorry to hear yours gave out on you - what a pain. And yes, there's very minimal space where the stock horn is. Anything much bigger is hard to fit in there. I used a Fiamm, and wound up removing all the plastic off it to make it fit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I thought I was doing it correctly. Maybe if I spray some WD 40 into the rubber grommet around the pin that will make it come out easier. I need to get it off. I think I can super glue it back together and then put a black stripe over it to hide the imperfection. I will also check the cost of a new one. Someone told me he had to buy a plastic part on his 790 Adventure after dropping it and was shocked at how reasonable the part was. I can only hope. Thank you for confirming what I thought was the correct way to remove it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure you are all sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for this. Well I used a brake adjusting tool that I had from my days adjusting drum brakes on a 62 VW. I did mention I am a dinosaur. I put it under the plastic right next to the metal post and it popped out without any more damage to my tank surround. I used some super glue on the edges and put them back together and then used a thin flat piece of metal on the inside which I super glued in place to provide some support. I was thinking of Taking some black tape and running it along the bottom of the surround from the black center piece down the side to the edge. Maybe 3 to 4 " wide and 10" long. Then I found this and thought it would solve my problem and also lend a little stability when leaned over. TechSpec Tank Grips Snake Skin: KTM 790 Duke

BTW I was able to install the Denali sound blaster mini horn after all. I had to remove the horn bracket and then install it up side down, with the bolt going through the top rather than the bottom. I rotated it 90 degrees to the rear and then bent is about ten degrees to the vertical and low and behold the horn fit and all the body work when back on with no issue. The only problem is they suggest you install the opening of the bell shaped outlet down to prevent water getting in. Well it is at about a 45 degrees from vertical so the opening runs parallel to the black front trim piece. Because it is behind it I think it is safe from water. I just will have to be careful when I wash it. Now if I were thinking I would have taken pictures and not had to type so much.

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
Just ordered one of these horns today too for my 690. How much louder was it than the stock one?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just ordered one of these horns today too for my 690. How much louder was it than the stock one?
Hard to quantify but it is noticeably louder. It is a deeper more car like sound. More of a honk that a squeak like the stock one. It did not cost much and it is better. Now they have one that is an air horn that will make a car driver jump. I have one on my Ducati Hypermotard S that I use as my touring bike but it was a difficult fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts