KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I don't get to sh*t stir much and I haven't been fishing for a while, so I'm posting up just to throw a line in.

I'm reading everywhere about people having to park the bike up because of the seasons.
Every season is riding season!! Well it is in oz anyway. -15c to +45c, doesn't matter, I ride all year round and a bare minimum of 5 days a week. Rain, hail or shine.
Though I suppose I haven't rode in snow, so maybe I should shut up.
I have ridden in sleet at
-13deg.c which is probably the coldest I have rode in (which did suck a little I suppose).

I actually read a newsletter from a muppet bike group here in qld at the start of spring saying to "dust the boots off as riding season is upon us"
W..T..F

Maybe the northern hemisphere guys do have an excuse with snow, but if you don't, maybe you should take the skirt off, Sew the Vag up, grow some balls and ride that ktm all year round!!
Or for the snow guys, what about a set of chains or snow conversions??

Just a sh*t stir. Reply how ever you want. Good or bad. All welcome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
riding season

atta way to stir it up buddy!! i totally get the riding season comment. its riding season any time you can lift your leg over your motorcycle. when i cant ride my dirt bike i ride a mini bike or bicycle. any time spent riding is a good time. moose racing and fox and others make cold weather riding gear and i found enduro jacket and layered clothing and cold weather gloves keep me warm enough to ride comfortably until mid to late winter. even ice racing the dirt track bike on frozen lakes up here is not too bad with 90mph wind chill down straightaways on frozen lake flat track. the trouble i have with my riding season is more with my riding buddies i found i outgrow riding buddies every 5 or 10 years but i have not outgrown my motorcycle addiction. as long as i can still lift my leg over that bike im going to ride it like its my last time...

·
Registered
88 Posts
:crying2:

here in Canada riding season is almost over, its averaging 7*C and over the next 10 days we're going to be in the negatives with rain and possible snow

No kangaroos here, just horrible drama teachers that wear superman shirts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You know when i had my 7,8 years living in Walcha i did most of my rides in the autumn - winter, typically minus 6-10, i had good riding gear and stayed warm n comfy most times, it was the driest time too unless it snowed.
Only thing i needed to look out for was the moss growing further into the road in the forest roads, needed to watch the slippy bends lol
riding season for me, started 1969, hasn't ended yet lol
:)

·
Super Moderator
2,156 Posts
I don't do dirt... If you'd seen any of my pics you know my bikes are 100% clean, i remove wheels, shocks, etc to clean the bike, it's kept 100% immaculate, as clean as it left the factory.

So, i don't ride in anything less than perfect conditions. EVER !

I get my winter kicks on 2 wheels with pedals... pedals and mud... Love it ! Although they're also kept 100% immaculate too.

My KTM may get ridden today as it's not too bad out there.. But if it does, it's likely to be the last ride until MArch.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't do dirt... If you'd seen any of my pics you know my bikes are 100% clean, i remove wheels, shocks, etc to clean the bike, it's kept 100% immaculate, as clean as it left the factory.

So, i don't ride in anything less than perfect conditions. EVER !
/QUOTE

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That's the kind of response I was expecting!

Is there an emoji symbol for a soft cock?

Ah, but your a good sport weeksy. Thanks for participating!
Can't blame a bloke for wanting to have a clean bike, but pull it apart to clean it? that just sounds a bit anal to me.

How many toothbrushes have you been through cleaning the bike?

·
Registered
116 Posts
(chuckle)
I ride to work all year. I have a Peugeot 207 I could use in winter, but it's a wee bit boring.

The KTMs (RC 390 and 690) have both been 100% reliable (they eat bits faster than the car does, but I get to finish *every* journey on time. I call that reliable :)

The only hassle has been 2 punctures and I carry a squirty can, plug kit and CO2 inflator for those :)

If I take the bike off the road in winter, I miss it. The only real problem is trying to rinse all the salt off the metal parts before they rust.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bike is cleaned after every ride and stripped down after every 4-5 rides for full cleaning.
Oh f-ck that. I am lucky to throw a hose at mine once every couple months. Or when I am going on a group ride.
Though I didn't on the last group ride I went on. I was basically the only non harley.
So much shiny clean chrome all around and 1 dirty little duke sitting in between them all.
Though it was one of the only bikes that managed to lean more than 5 deg off vertical on the day and the only bike to venture on one wheel (front or rear)

Maddog that's what I like to here. I have been told they consider us as full time riders. We ride to live, not just live to ride.
Not sure about the reliability of the 207's though. You must have a unicorn.

See if you can spot the odd one out

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's the thing. The boring "reliable" diesel Pug 207 has let me down once and also it's got emissions problems, so I can't get it MOT tested, and without that I can't buy road tax unless I give a pile of cash to the garage.

The bikes just work and cost less in servicing than the car needs this year. I win :)

·
Super Moderator
2,156 Posts
I have been told they consider us as full time riders. We ride to live, not just live to ride.

See if you can spot the odd one out
I've done 5000+ miles on my MTBs this year.... i ride to live too.. probably more hours on 2 wheels than you do.. just without an engine.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I learned to ride in upstate NY winter on the '81 UJM, and I've been through light snow on the KLR. I'm afraid of riding in below freezing temps though because unseen frozen patches will fuuck your day right up.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've done 5000+ miles on my MTBs this year.... i ride to live too.. probably more hours on 2 wheels than you do.. just without an engine.
12000kms on both bikes combined so far this year, but hours, I don't know, those bikes without engines would soak up a fair few hours. So you're probably correct.
You must be fit then.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, this "riding season" you speak of. Is that like a curry, or chipotle? I have to admit, I'm just not familiar with the term.
No, neither am I, that's why I have the wtf in the title. Bikes should be ridden all year round, summer, winter, autumn and spring. Not put in the shed for 3 months.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's the thing. The boring "reliable" diesel Pug 207 has let me down once and also it's got emissions problems, so I can't get it MOT tested, and without that I can't buy road tax unless I give a pile of cash to the garage :)
That sounds more like the 207's I use to work on.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, this "riding season" you speak of. Is that like a curry, or chipotle? I have to admit, I'm just not familiar with the term.
Stupid me, I was a little slow on that one! Disregard my previous quoted post!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Living in Southern California, I had to quickly google 'seasons' to find out what the rest of you guys are talking about. It sounds awful. The weather changes? That's crazy.
*cough* Trump..... (that's really the only thing any non American needs to say to win an argument with a 'Murican) :amazon:

No, neither am I, that's why I have the wtf in the title. Bikes should be ridden all year round, summer, winter, autumn and spring. Not put in the shed for 3 months.
It gets to -20*C here no problem in the winter, with snow and slush, lets see how bad *** you are riding in that on the highway at 120km/h :fuk2:

:grin2:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts