KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First up 2017 Sunny Corner Rally. About 1400 bikes showed up to cruise around this pristine Australian wilderness or pine tree plantation.
Home to one of Australia's few Yowies sighted back in 1982.
This year the organisers set 3 loops from 50 to 60 km in length. I uploaded 7 videos showing the 60km North loop.
Heres the first one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant see the markers though , is it hard to see them ?, do you get to ride the courses before you start?
Hey Cors. The markers are hard to see in the video but very easy to see on track. This course was actually overmarked ie they placed preemtive markers leading up to intersections. 50m before an intersection they would have a single arrow and you would look for a single trail right next to that arrow but 50m further on you would get to the intersection where there would be 3 arrows pointing left for example. In some sections there were so many arrows you could navigate with periferal vision and keep your eyes on the actual terrain.
Didnt need to pre-ride the course as it wasnt a race although I treated it as one. I tried to keep the pace up and only had 2 drink stops with helmet on. Also attacked all 11 "hard sections" without stopping or sighting them. I tried to ride like Jarvis, well I can wheeze and gasp like him.
This was my first Sunny Corner ever and my first "event" in 30 years so next time I'll be even quicker.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great video. Makes me miss my dirt bikes.
NJD I grew up on dirt bikes but recently had a 15 year stint on roadies including 6 years racing track.
And now at 51 years old Im back on dirt bikes...for good.
You can always go back and enduro is a popular "old guys sport".

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
I hear what your saying. I still have my utility quad, sold the fast one. But I'm looking more and more at used dirtbikes lately, just can't shake it. But I doubt I'll go 2 stroke again. My last one was an '88 Kx 125 I got from a guy who raced it. ( those 30 years went fast) That thing was a handful in the woods but I loved it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gees Arm South Trail from Comleroy Rd out to Colo River Lookout in 23 minutes.
You can see where I get tired, about 2 minutes into it.
Lots of 3rd gear roller coaster fire trail and lots of chopped out and undercut 4x4 rock steps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats a fun track.
Not that i know anything, but have you thought about a quick throttle and add a tooth or 3 on the back.
Rippy i think your our first official ktm forums offroad team racer.
That would make the bike even more hectic in the rocks. The gearing is already as short as I can make it 13-52 (4-1).
Cant get a 12t front and a bigger sprocket on the rear would smash on the rocks too much.
I actually need a throttle tamer but I can modify a standard tube to pull slower off idle.

·
Full Throttle
5,703 Posts
That would make the bike even more hectic in the rocks. The gearing is already as short as I can make it 13-52 (4-1).
Cant get a 12t front and a bigger sprocket on the rear would smash on the rocks too much.
I actually need a throttle tamer but I can modify a standard tube to pull slower off idle.
Actually the wife banned the dirt bikes for me as i went tree spotting some years ago during a summer trip to Oz. Smashed my knee up and forced the wife to carry all bags the rest of the holiday and travel back to Europe.lol
Great vids :smile2:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Menai. What can I say, legendary ride spot for over 50 years. I rode my first bike across the road from this area near ANSTO in 1972 at a popular hire bike place known as "Big Double Decker Bus" My parents took my brother and I there to have a go on the minibikes. I jumped on this Honda QA50 and Mum said dont go out of sight. Of course I was gone out in the bush true hard enduro style and came back half an hour later giddy and proclaiming my new found love of dirt bikes. Of course I got yelled at but I didnt care. From that day on I was a biker.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rippy's turn on the TPI 300.
awesome bike, too much power, runs very clean and smooth, great for rocks.
Only faults are seat foam is a bit thin around the edges and brakes are too grabby.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hate gearboxes.
Going down rock steps, my gear lever hits a rock and knocks it into neutral.
Further down (video) I want to lift the front over a gap between 2 rocks but the engine just revs and the front wheel stops dead between the 2 rocks and throws me off the front. The bike hits me twice, once on the chest tearing a muscle and then bounces on my helmet. Had a bit of a headache and stiff neck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts