I get this stuff free soooooo....
Anyone using it in the SDR?

Oil Thread!!
😁

·
Registered
394 Posts
Engine Oil for Diesel engines? 😳🤪

All joking aside though, seems there are a few motorcycle riders using this stuff.
I’m not going to be one of those that screams “Never!” As I know of a few folks who swear by a number of car engine oils for use in bikes.

Subscribed! 🍿

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran it in many different bikes. The spec is good.
GSXR, R1, FZ1, Bandit, XR650, etc.
The XR was built and notorious for crushing oil. The T6 worked well.
I was just curious if people are using something other than the over priced Swedish baby dragon blood.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I used T6 in my Aprilia V4's...no issues. But that said, does Rotella meet the standards required per the manual? ONLY to cover your *** in a warranty scenario

·
Registered
394 Posts

So it doesn’t specifically list JASO T903, but does list MA2….

How the two relate, I don’t understand the details, but I believe the JASO is a Japanese standard. MA and MA2 are specific to motor cycle oils, along with MB2 (automatic transmissions).

That oil meets JASO DH2 which is heavy duty diesel vehicles, I.e busses and trucks.

·
Registered
1996 KTM 125 EXC, 2020 Husqvarna fe350s
25 Posts
I think it passes the MA/MA2 due to the requirements for Allison wet clutch transmission requirements TES439. A lot of guys have tried and ran this stuff in a lot of bikes with pretty good success apparently. You just need to make sure that your getting it in a weight that has the qualification some of them are strictly engine oil with no allison or ma/ma2 qualification.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was just curious if people are using something other than the over priced Swedish baby dragon blood.
Total Hi-Perf 4T 10W-50 here. Full synthetic and great value at US$40 for 5 litres. 17 changes to date and still uses none between changes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've used it in some previous bikes.
It works fine.
Diesel oil sees alot of abuse and has to carry alot of particulates and still lubricate.
I switched to Motul 300v a few years back. The transmissions on all the bikes I've used it on has never shifted so smoothly.
Is it costly yes, but it is made from the tears of pixies.
Try your T6 for one cycle, then try the Motul....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use Rotella in everything I own, but I also change oil at proper intervals. If you do that, I assure you it's THE best bang for the buck and performs perfectly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought the motul once. The girl rang it up and actually laughed.
”That can’t be right”
She scanned it again and said “Woah. Sorry.”
😂
Not to wander too much off the main topic, but Motul 300V can be found online (i.e. Amazon among other retailers) for about the same price as the Motorex stuff which KTM recommends.

Another common myth about Motul 300V is that it should not be used in a street bike since it is strictly a race oil.

To put that argument to rest, the following guy ran this oil for 8500 miles in his street bike and then did an oil analysis. You can watch the video and reach your own conclusion:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I’ll be using Motul 7100 probably. It’s what I put in the ZX10R….

It’s a pretty red color! 🤣
That's what I got last change. 10W60 just like the Motorex the dealer pours in. Does Rotella come in 10W60 or even 10W50? I know folks who have used it in bikes that require 10W40.

I've heard that you shouldn't use "racing" oils in a streetbike because they get changed at lower mileages, but I think that's bs. If anything, a "racing oil" ( like Mobil 1 4T Racing) is likely better due to more wear-resistant additives.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I used Motul 300v once, then When I went to buy the next load, I realized it didn’t list the JASMO/JATO/JIZZ-MO/Thingy standard on it. Back to 7100 I went! ;-)

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
516 Posts
I believe I'd stick to a 10w60 oil.
Is Rotella available in 10w60?

Edit to add: or is it 10w50? I forget.

Everybody just loves a good oil thread.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thats where my screenshot was from JASO DH2, saying it meets JASO standard is like saying it meats ISO standard.... Which one? There are many.

This one meets JASO DH2, the workshop manual asks for JASO T903. They are different, how different I have no idea, I’ve not looked, but I’m sure you can find all the details online somewhere.

JASO = JapanESE Automotive Standards Organization
DH2 is Diesel HeavyDuty standard....

Now all is maybe not lost... MA and MA2 are listed as part of JASO T903 standard here:

So maybe JASO DH2, MA2 is short hand for JASO DH2 and JASO T903 MA2 standards.

I don’t know enough about it. But let us know if she blows up, so we know to steer clear! 🤣

Based on anecdotal evidence online, it should be fine, so if you are happy taking the risk, go for it!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And the incorrect grade doesn't bother you at all?
So the manual says 10w/50.
I never ride at the extreme ends of temperature anyway so 15w/40 is in the middle.
I’ll do some before and after checks of oil temp.
Everyone loves an oil thread!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts