KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be staying in South Fork, Colorado for 5 days during the last week of August. Have several loops planned, Monarch Pass, Million-Dollar Highway, Taos etc. Hope to have my picture-posting technology straightened out by that time. Apple is holding my newer phone pics hostage until I buy more storage, but this crappy little Chromebook is not compatible. My daughter the nurse is giving me her old Apple since I helped her get a new one for work. For those of you who have never had the opportunity to ride this region, put it on your bucket list. Some of the most beautiful scenery and twisty roads on the planet.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Video Hammy .... or it never happened.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I will be through South Fork on August 22nd headed for relatives in Creede. Then on to Grand Junction for the weekend. I probably don't need to tell you, but ride up Hwy 92 through the Black Canyon. Then Hwy 65 over Grand Mesa. If you see a bunch of guys horsing around on BMW K1600's, it's probably us.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have not been in that corner, but I doubt we'll get north of US 50. Have a Durango-Silverton-Ouray expedition planned and a run up and down Monarch. Also would like to see Blue Mesa Reservoir again and show it to some friends who haven't been there. I also want to ride down to Taos and through Ute Park towards Angel Fire and Eagles Nest. If we have time, we might zip over to Cortez, but that's 175 miles one way from the place we're staying, so maybe not.

·
Super Moderator
926 Posts
Pics and Maps then ... @Spartacus will we let him get away with that?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have not been in that corner, but I doubt we'll get north of US 50. Have a Durango-Silverton-Ouray expedition planned and a run up and down Monarch. Also would like to see Blue Mesa Reservoir again and show it to some friends who haven't been there. I also want to ride down to Taos and through Ute Park towards Angel Fire and Eagles Nest. If we have time, we might zip over to Cortez, but that's 175 miles one way from the place we're staying, so maybe not.
Understood, maybe next time. FYI...West of Durango is an uggg, unless you want to "tourist" it at Mesa Verde. And, four Corners is absolutely commercial. Just know, you are missing some of the best riding in Colorado, which is north of 50. Black Canyon, Grand Mesa, Dolores Canyon are some classic rides. At least do Black Canyon (hwy 92), not much out of your way and views are spectacular. It would involve a loop up to Hotchkiss. There is little Diner in Hotchkiss, where I like to stop for lunch.

Here's some routing if you ever get the chance. 646 miles though, so it would definitely involve an overnight, probably in Grand Junction.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have done Dolores, Independence, Lizard Head and others.

!3 hrs is a bit much for a loop when there are so many more accessible roads.

A cruise through Mesa Verde is fun and 4 Corners is bucket list stuff. Monument Valley and the surrounding area is scenic.

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
Super Moderator
926 Posts
Which one? I think there are about a hundred.
Sorry I should have written it in longhand. 😇

When you write up your trip report, post pictures from your trip, and map out the route you took using google maps. Copy the link and paste that into your report. 👍

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have pics of the maps I plotted a year ago when this trip was supposed o happen but circumstances intervened. As soon as I ransom my pics back from Apphole, I'll post 'em.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of my daughters is rigging the Gopro she bought me several years ago that I never used. No promises, but I'll try to capture some ride vids. One of the other guys going is an electronics expert and may be able to help me with downloading etc. He got my racer buddy's GoPro functioning and downloading properly at the track a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the longest loop we have planned:

This loop takes in Monarch Pass, one of my faves:

This one drops down to Taos and Ute Park:

Also planning to visit The Dunes, downtown Taos and any other sights anyone wants to see in the area.

·
Super Moderator
926 Posts
That looks like a whole lot of fun. The #.550 from Durango to Montrose looks like a hoot in the middle sections

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That looks like a whole lot of fun. The #.550 from Durango to Montrose looks like a hoot in the middle sections
Rock walls on one side and 600-ft. cliffs on the other with little or no guardrail. Switchbacks, G-outs and elevation changes. One of the best I've been on.

An old school friend who lives in Ouray was on search and rescue for Red Mountain Pass (550) for years. He told me every once in a blue moon, they'd rappel down the cliffs and find a carload of people still alive. Just not very often.
US 64 from Cimmaron to Taos is good fun also. Hell, almost every road on the map is either great or leads to a great one.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today we did the loop shown in the 2nd pic. The missing detail was the Blue Mesa cutoff we took rather than 149 all the way to Gunnison and doubling back. The cutoff (17 miles of dirt, rock and washboard) let us out on US 50 west of Gunnison right at the reservoir's dam. Then we ogled the entire 20-mile length of the state's largest body of water as we rode toward Monarch Pass. The cutoff and the ride past the lake made the loop total 300 miles, 17 of which were at less than 30 mph and sometimes as slow as 10 mph.
The long straight on 285 was a different story.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Today we did the loop shown in the 2nd pic. The missing detail was the Blue Mesa cutoff we took rather than 149 all the way to Gunnison and doubling back. The cutoff (17 miles of dirt, rock and washboard) let us out on US 50 west of Gunnison right at the reservoir's dam. Then we ogled the entire 20-mile length of the state's largest body of water as we rode toward Monarch Pass.
Did you know that the lake at Lake City is the states largest natural body of water? Did you ride the Superduke on the bypass? Last time I rode the bypass I was on my 990 Adventure and it was pretty fast dirt.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dirt ride was pretty much happenstance, The 17-mile cutoff saved us 60 miles of back-and-forth across Blue Mesa, but took just as long. Had I known how gnarly is was, I would have gone the long way. My buddy on his ZX-14R with saddlebags and wife on the pillion did rather well, though, so no harm, no foul.

We went though Lake City on the way up 149. Lots of 4-wheeler rental places and dozens of tourists tearing around on them, so no interest in stopping there. Blew a few into the weeds getting past.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish there were a paved road from Lake City to Ouray, we'd be on it today, but I don't think my buddy want's another dirt ride. Took too long to clean the bikes up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts