KTM Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I'm a new member of this forum. I joined because I've been lurking around for months with the interest of buying an RC8. I recently pulled the trigger on one and am loving it!

I've owned a fireblade and 2 zx10r's and have been a member on associated forums for each and have purchased numerous parts and gear and have never been scammed in my life. I created a post on this forum under the WTB/trade section for a pillion seat and my money was taken. I just recently posted again in the same section for an exhaust and have a person sending me screenshots of pictures off an ebay listing.

Has anyone else encountered this on this forum? There's lots of good info on here and I've always valued purchasing from forum members in the past, but my short purchasing experience on here hasn't been overly positive thus far. I'm just curious if this is fairly common on this site, or if I'm a special case.

Appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Think any site you go on these days has more and more of this ... so no you're not a special case. Even PayPal can't/won't protect the buyer in many cases as I just went thru this with them. Suggest you use ebay type sites as the pirates have not figured out how to scam there (yet). Even on ebay you shouldn't trust the "first time" seller with no reputation, use some discretion.
Sorry to the newbie with the gas tank for sale here but I wouldn't touch this with a ten ft pole....could be legit but I smell a rat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the first scam I encountered was through a PayPal transaction and they won't cover it. Goodbye $150! Now I have someone trying to sell me an Evo 6 for $300. It's a new member who's only been on 2 days and has posted 2 other threads in the selling section. Seems suspicious.

I hear what you're saying about using ebay or something similar instead. It's just nice to help fellow forum members out, you know? Nice to keep it in-house so to speak. Oh well I guess. This is the world we live in these days.

·
Super Moderator
1,579 Posts
I am truly sorry for your experience. As a Moderator part of our job is to try to weed out the scammers. We do as well as we can, but they can be hard to find. By banning someone there is always a risk that we ban a genuine member. And even if we ban someone, there is nothing stopping them coming back under a new name with new details.

My recommendation here and anywhere really, is to only buy parts from an established seller. Yes, that will make it hard for new sellers to join in. But what else can we do?

My recommendations to a buyer are:
  • If the deal is to good to be true, it is not true.
  • Ask some questions that only someone who is familiar with the part would know. If the answers are not what you would expect, then do not buy the part and inform us about the seller and we get rid of him/her.
  • Only buy parts from established members that have a good track record.
  • If you get scammed please report the seller straight away. Sadly we can not do much more than what you can do, apart from banning them. But then there will be a record of that seller and the background scammer software will give us a warning when/if he/she tries to join up again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
A guy said a scammer sent him a different pic of my fender for sale that was n
ot my fender .

·
Super Moderator
1,579 Posts
PLEASE LET US MODERATOR KNOW WHEN THERE IS SOMEONE THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A SCAMMER!!! IF WE AGREE WITH YOU HE/SHE WILL BE BANNED!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope I didn't come across as complaining about this forum! I've received lots of good info from here and have no intentions on leaving. I'm just shocked that I've been hit with more than 1 scam back to back. It's too bad. It takes away from people who actually want to sell or buy.

·
Full Throttle
6,487 Posts
It's just nice to help fellow forum members out, you know? Nice to keep it in-house so to speak.
They have this really good scam to make it seem like a few members want the part but first to pay gets the part .................This is the scam so you rush better judgement and pay without protection. But you know , its getting hard to keep these payment gateways if they are getting complaints, they are loosing payment gateways....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's been happening to the couple WTB posts I've created is I'll receive a pm from a very new member who has no posts and they've either told me that they have a friend who has the part and to contact them via a given personal email, or they'll give me a personal email and tell me to contact them there for further inquiries. It may just be a coincidence, but most of the emails I've been given seem to be girl's names. I responded to the first one that pm'd me, because I'm ignorant like that, and "she" said she was selling the part for her boyfriend. It was an exhaust and the given pics were directly off an ebay listing.

I guess a key factor is how many posts the inquiring member has. Established members who participate in forum discussions are probably less likely to be looking to scam someone.

Oh well. I live, I learn!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda nighthawk forum rules are that you cant post items for sale until you have at least 20 or so legit posts. They did that to slow down scammers, they went elsewhere not suggesting that here, I also had a mivv post to swap for a bit quieter exhaust, I believe someone attempted to scam me. Buyer beware I guess these days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts