KTM Forums banner

1721 - 1738 of 1738 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
If the chain/sprockets are relatively new/low mileage I.e. very minimal wear to the sprockets and minimal chain wear and stretch, replacing a single sprocket alone is fine. No expert but I'd say up to 2000 miles use. Certainly if the chain and sprockets are well into their life expectancy replace all together (worn chain will kill new sprockets and worn sprockets will kill a new chain).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when you replace just 1 sprocket, is it necessary to replace the other as well as the chain?
Depends on how many miles/kilometrs the chain and sprockets have done. A front sprocket will always wear out faster than a rear sprocket as its doing 3 times the work. Most here are replacing a sprocket not because its worn but changing it because they want to rearrange the gearing. In the perfect world you would do all 3 at the same time, chain and both sprockets, but they wear at differing rates. Chains generally need changing because they have stretched, and stretched unevenly. Sprockets, especially the front start to form a hook, you notice this when free wheeling the bike as the front clicks. Rear sprockets last a very long time, longer than a chain, and 3 times as long as a front sprocket.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Few things for my birthday that finally arrived including one that is wrong
Maxicarbon seatcowl, front fender, under tray, rear hugger(sent gloss, Matte on way) top tank piece
Evotech clear clutch
Evotech frame sliders
Gloss looks good but matte finish looks awesome glad I went with that

·
Registered
277 Posts
Depends on how many miles/kilometrs the chain and sprockets have done. A front sprocket will always wear out faster than a rear sprocket as its doing 3 times the work. Most here are replacing a sprocket not because its worn but changing it because they want to rearrange the gearing. In the perfect world you would do all 3 at the same time, chain and both sprockets, but they wear at differing rates. Chains generally need changing because they have stretched, and stretched unevenly. Sprockets, especially the front start to form a hook, you notice this when free wheeling the bike as the front clicks. Rear sprockets last a very long time, longer than a chain, and 3 times as long as a front sprocket.
Thanks Dave. Whenever I've changed the gearing on the 1090 Adventure R or my DR 650/790, I replaced both sprockets as well as the chain, but that was out of necessity as I was going big ;) Your reply made perfect sense. If the parts are pretty new, replace at will. Thanks again!

Reactions: FXDX
1721 - 1738 of 1738 Posts